1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

*nick & tj&murphy @ telford's chester apr 6 2009

Discussion in 'On Tour' started by HarperPR, Jan 30, 2009.

1. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

Please read - important (perhaps, pd, you could make it sticky for me)

To follow is the spec for Telford's for attenders and listings.

This is a rather special show and I hope as many of you as possible will help support it in some way. Even if you are unable to be there in person (which I hope you will try and do :) and if you happen to be juggling between this and another...please make it this!), I would be immensely grateful if you could flag it up where and whenever you can on listings sites, MySpace, Facebook et al.

Sometimes a gig is just a nice musical night out, which is fine. But it becomes a little bit more when you know you are not just enjoying yourself but in some way also contributing to help others.

Whilst I get many a request for support slots for Nick and I try and help where I can, it is not always possible to facilitate. However, on this occasion I was more than happy - and determined - to set up the opening act for this show.

After discussion with TJ & Murphy, it has been agreed that they will donate from the receipts of their gig here at Telford's to the Love Hope Strength Foundation.

I have known T J & Murphy for awhile, and they are big supporters of both Nick and the work he does for the Love Hope Strength Foundation (www.lovehopestrength.org). They, like many of us, were touched by the trek to Peru last year, and following from that asked if they could also help support LHS in some way. This is a personal thing, since the mother of one of the members has been fighting her own battle with breast cancer. They, like Nick, felt they wanted to do a little more than just put a few coins in a tin.

T J & Murphy are a superb acoustic/folk outfit who hail from the Liverpool area. You may have caught them at Telford's on a previous occasion or elsewhere. And if you haven't - now's your chance!(www.myspace.com/thomasjosephandmurphy

I am sure that both Nick and TJ&M will also be more than happy to accept donations on the night.

Please come along on April 6! Please help promote this if you can.

It means a lot to a lot of people.

Linn

April 6 2009

Nick Harper and special guests T J & Murphy

Telford's Warehouse
    Canal Basin
    Tower Wharf
    Chester CH1 4EZ

£10

7pm

www.telfordswarehousechester.com

tel: 01244 39 00 90

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  2. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

LHSF What? Telford!

And then get back and climb the Rhondda and Snowdon? LHSF are asking a lot these days but can't quite make Kilimanjaro this year! Sorry!

Does look very interesting and tempting though and definitely some archeological stuff there from the industrial age? Not not Roy or Nick! Thomas! I'm going to have to cancel my cruise in the Carribean now ...aw shucks!

chrs
    andi

3. just jane

just jane Computer stained fingers

:crying:I cant juggle my commitments I wont even be in the country. I will leaflet around for you and send a few friends because Telfords is always a good night.

4. HarperPR

A word from TJ from TJ & Murphy

I think I’m right in saying there is nobody that has not been affected by cancer in one way or another. My family were first affected when my grandmother was diagnosed with breast cancer many years ago. I being younger then was devastated by the brutality this disease bestowed upon her. In the end taking her life.

So you can imagine my thoughts and feelings in finding out my mother had been diagnosed with breast cancer. Thank God she was treated in time and saved. The many marvellous people and organisations that are uniting people in the fight against this wicked disease saved her. To win any fight we first must know our enemy, how they think and how they work.

That’s where the Love Hope Strength Foundation come into it. An international, music centric cancer charity dedicated to providing support for cancer centres and inspiration to those affected throughout the world. They are a group of musicians who are creating awareness by doing gigs in high places!

In thinking about what they are doing, it took me back to a busking trip in Italy where a kind family let us stay with them. On Sunday we attended church with them, I noticed the church was on a hilltop. I asked the elderly lady who was accommodating us, “Why don’t you drive? This hill is really steep.” She replied, “ this is our penance, so we’ll be a little purer by the time we reach the top. Which puts us in a better position to pray for those who have suffered before us." Without getting too spiritual here, I can draw a lovely analogy from this, and apply it to the musicians who are raising awareness from high places: They take the steep climb in respect for those who are suffering and have suffered with cancer. Then deliver their message in a song.

The more people who sing this important message the louder it becomes, and the more it will resound across the land. There is no better place to transmit this message than from the rooftops of the world!

TJ
    Proud and honoured to be a voice for LHS at Telford’s Warehouse, Chester 6th April 09.

Friday: As well as donating from door receipts, TJ & Murphy have also generously offered a donation from CD sales at the gig to the LHS Foundation. - Linn

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  5. aspwatterson

If...

If I'd had a son [got three daughters; but ain't complaining] he was going to be called Aaron pronounced Arron to avoid any Jewish connotations [Arun for river in Welsh] which means 'Man from the Mountain'.

Combining my two hobbies of music and mountains is therefore the perfect panacea-ical synergy! Adding cancer charity causes makes it a Tri-synergy?

Have been touched by The big C myself and many friends / relatives / acquaintances.... still here, and some gone...

Listening to a Nick live CD at the moment and I love the bits where he says :

There is truth up in the mountains [of course there is!] if you take it with you.
    The bit where the Tibetan gains a shoe and does not lose one.
    The indigenous salutation to them about 'I salute the God within you', instead of saying 'Alright mate' as we do in this country.
    Talks about how he found out how little he was in the majestic scale of the landscape surrounding.

Perhaps Mont Blanc next year? We have thousands of mountains don't we? This is turning into a lifelong quest?! It can only grow and grow.... Next Nick could be learning different songs in other languages to reach a more worldwide audience in their native tongues? Old Donovan and McCartney and some others used to slip in the odd bit of French didn't they?

But still think the LHSF will have to find a way around the large amounts of sponsorship needed on international jaunts by individual climbers to make it a bit more feasible for people who have not got access to a lot money sponsored or otherwise. But I appreciate the economics of setting something up like this and try to prevent all the raised money disappearing down the drain of related costs.

chrs
    andi :seeya:

6. katrina

katrina I've got a zappy little nappy

Hi Andi

Can I say if you want to take part in Snowdon or Rhondda run by LHSF UK - it does not require huge amounts of sponsor money and is a fun day out. LHSF has four sister charities run in USA, Peru, Australia and the UK - we all run seperately.

This gig at Chester for which we are gratefully for it will be donated to LHSF UK and Snowdon Rocks and Rhondda Rocks is open to all and feasible for everyone to attend.

At LHSF UK we dont force anyone to take part but we make all our events as easy and as adaptable to suit everyone needs.

Thanks for listening

Perhaps you need to check our website out www.lovehopestrength.co.uk

xxxx

7. aspwatterson

Already...

Already committed to the Welsh jaunts but shame can't really afford the overseas stuff. LHSF are my fav charity and will probably get a lot more involved soon. Seems a good cause which coincides with me.

chrs
    andi

8. HarperPR

April 6 2009 - only one place to be:

IN CHESTER...IN TELFORD'S!:hurray:

I am hopeful that we will get some good media coverage on this too.

9. katrina

Have you got the event registration pack yet? Let me know if you want me to send you one.

10. aspwatterson

Snowdon/Rhonnda

Got everything thanks and forwarding the money via Nick on the 28th when he comes here on his Tour to make him feel welcome and promote LHSF live.. It's a first for Basingstoke so we'll have to dust that red carpet down..

chrs
    andi

11. katrina

Can you make sure I get the event registration form please and make sure it comes my direction.

Anyone else fancy a walk?

xxx

12. HarperPR

In case these posts don't get read or people get confused (it happens!:D), would it not be best to put in Katrina's threads about the LHS walks?

13. critch

critch Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Think I might go to this one now. I spoke to my mate Ste who went with me to chester last year, and he seems keen to do it again. See what happens and if I'm working by then. Might be 3 gigs in a row again for me! Manch, Liv, and then Chester. I was knackered by the end of it I tell thee! BRING IT ON! lol

14. HarperPR

Think I might go to this one now. I take it you mean Telford's and are not talking about the walk (see I'm confused!:D). Do try and make it, pleaseeeee:wink::)

15. critch

critch Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Yeah telf's! It was good last year. I'll see what I can do. I'd say there's about a 60percent chance I'll make it! Not bad odds - especially considering I've got numbers on tonights euromillions!

16. HarperPR

Okay, we're happening in Chester! This event is being mentioned on various shows on BBC Radio Merseyside and press in the 'pool and Chester itself.

Hope MASSES of you will come down. There may be a surprise or two on the night!:wink:

Would anyone be able to donate a few dozen small LHS flyers for hand out on the nite with the LHS logo on, and to go on the LHS donation box? It would be such a help.

17. HarperPR

TJ & Murphy will be live on Cheshire FM on Friday April 3 at 12 midday to talk about themselves, the gig, Nick Harper, the LHSF and will play a few tunes to give you a taste of what you have to look forward to at Telford's on April 6!

http://www.cheshirefm.co.uk

18. katrina

Did you get my email Linn? with all the information you required?

xx

19. HarperPR

Yes, I did. Cheers, Katrina. Haven't had chance to look properly yet, but will do later.

20. HarperPR