1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nick @ Union Chapel, London - Mar 26 2010

Discussion in 'On Tour' started by HarperPR, Dec 6, 2009.

1. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

Friday March 26 2010

Union Chapel
    Compton Terrace
    Islington
    London
    N1 2UN

020 7226 3750

8pm

£12

Support: Georgia Ruth
    + Mike Dignam

www.unionchapel.org.uk/

Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
  2. HarperPR

3. scotpaulabear

scotpaulabear Halfway up my own guitar, propping up another bar

It would be fantastic if Time Out could write a new blurb for Nick - I think that one's going on about 10 years now :blink:

4. bigchris

bigchris Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Does anyone have any prior experience of the Union Chapel ?

The reason why I ask, is that I was told by El ( & someone else backed her up ) that apparently you can not take alcohol into the actual room that the artist is performing in ... as it's a chuffing church ... not that I'm at all religious, but I thought that at least red wine might be allowed ?

I need to know, to try and determine whether I'll drive in or not ... I didn't want to, but being out on a Friday night in London and not being able to drink sounds like a mare !!

5. HarperPR

That is the case, Chris, sorry. But it has never bothered me too much as I time it with the smoke break!

6. scotpaulabear

Chris, was just gonna write and see what pub you wanted to meet in beforehand ;) We could just get a few (dozen!) down then...

7. bigchris

I'll Just have to hope that he plays Blue Sky Thinking, followed by Love Junky ... that should give me time to hobble out to the bar and whatever !

8. pd

pd Slightly Desperate Staff Member

I know this will seem like sacrilege to some, but I don't think that drinking copiously is mandatory at gigs. I drove to the Cambridge one, had one glass of orange juice, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Not that I'm exactly the epitome of sobriety, but I'm just saying like... :angelsad2:

9. scotpaulabear

I agree Paul! But the novelty of having a car I can drive to Scottish gigs hasn't worn off yet :wink:

10. The Monster

The Monster I've got a zappy little nappy

Linn

Is it likely to be possible to pay on the door?

Tried ringing UC, but everything seems a bit hit and miss over there.

Probably busy putting in new alcohol detectors....

11. scotpaulabear

*soda spew* :rofl:

12. bigchris

Well I agree totally Paul ... that's what I did at Reading and will do so at Basingstoke .... but everyone ( the venue, the goverment, the greenies ) recommend NOT driving into London ... so I'm going for the expensive ( 6 times more expensive ) option of using public transport ... and as that is the case and spending more time and money to get in there .... it's just a pain that we can't sit back and have a beer and watch the gig ... especially on a Friday night !!

Well to be honest ... I've not been drinking in that area of London, since Roy played the three nights at the Garage ... back in ... chuff knows when !! But a quick google makes me think http://www.fancyapint.com/pubs/pub98.php would be a good place to go .... but at the mo ... I have NO idea what time I will be there ... all I know is that due to the stupid drinking rule in the venue ... the support acts ain't gonna get a look in from me !!

13. scotpaulabear

Well let me know when you're around, we're staying near Kings X so not that far away...

I'd better make the most of this one considering we'll be stuck in Soton the next night with f-all to do :cursing: My gig karma sucks this year...

14. SteveT

SteveT Gracing the Bahamas in see through pyjamas

There's always f-all there.

15. scotpaulabear

Take it you're not a fan :wink:
    May just stay in London til the Sunday, I'm investigating the possibilities...

16. HarperPR

Oh Chris, this is probably one show where you shouldn't miss the supports too! Mike Dignam, just 19 years old, I have heard quite a few people saying now that he is pretty amazing. And Georgia will not be solo for this show, but playing with full string quartet.

17. Barry

Barry Computer stained fingers

Georgia with string quartet, now that sounds good, I saw her at the cellars and she has an amazing voice, the bonus of the SQ makes me feel that we missed out, i'll be interested to read what people think of her especially with the backing.
    I bought Nick's cd but my daughter opted for Georgia's.

18. SteveT

SteveT Gracing the Bahamas in see through pyjamas

I enjoyed hearing her as well but it completely slipped my mind to get her CD.

At the Cellars we had a harpist followed by a Harper whereas at the RFH we will have a Harper followed by a Harpist. Perhaps I need to get out more. :biggrin:

19. HarperPR

She definitely has a haunting quality to her voice, and so perfect for the wonderful Chapel setting. Some numbers she sang solo and joined by the three string set on a few.
    Definitely worth seeing.

Nick did good too! Standing ovation at end - and no people weren't already standing, tis a church remember so we were all pewed!

20. scotpaulabear

Absolutely and completely stunning, with gorgeous acoustics. Much as I love sweaty and grungy venues where you stand up and your feet stick to the floor, I now want Nick to play the Chapel regularly :biggrin: The Harpervirgins I met were highly impressed by himself, as I was by Georgia (wow, what a voice, highlighted in there). And thanks to everyone who bought the new CD, it was VERY popular!

More later, including the setlist. Need lunch. :biggrin: