1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nick - US - September

Discussion in 'On Tour' started by HarperPR, Apr 16, 2009.

1. scotpaulabear

scotpaulabear Halfway up my own guitar, propping up another bar

Bloody showoff, now Nick's gonna be Rocky and everything!
    *wondering what kind of stupid'o'clock I'd have to leave Massachusetts to see this* :wink:

http://www.wilmington.dbusinessnews.com/shownews.php?newsid=189598&type_news=latest

The Love Hope Strength Foundation (LHS), an international foundation that harnesses the power of music to make a difference in global cancer care, is taking its fight against cancer to the streets of Philadelphia in a symbolic walk that retraces the final steps of Rocky Balboa’s famous fist pumping run. Dubbed “Rocky’s Run”, participants will ascend the “Rocky Stairs” at the Philadelphia Museum of Art while being led by LHS Co-Founder and 2-time Leukemia survivor Mike Peters of The Alarm, Cy Curnin of the Fixx, and singer/songwriter Nick Harper. Prayer flags bearing 5,000+ names of cancer survivors, patients, lost loved ones will be carried along the way, and a special acoustic performance by Mike Peters will take place at the top. The prayer flags will be held high for the last time in the United States before they depart to the top of Kilimanjaro in Africa for Kilimanjaro Rocks, the Love Hope Strength Foundation’s latest musical journey to the roof of Africa.

The LHS “Rocky’s Run”, which is being sponsored by Baird Financial, Hahnemann Hospital, Cashman and Associates and The Field House, takes place Thursday, September 10 at 11:00 AM at the Philadelphia Art Museum on 2600 Benjamin Franklin Pkwy in Philadelphia. Participants will begin at the bottom of the museum’s 72 stairs and climb their way to the top with thousands of prayer flags that are making their way across the world. A $1 donation per stair is recommended (but not mandatory), and there will be a sign up sheet online for participants interested in taking a pledge to help raise the money.

“The stairs made famous by Rocky Balboa are a powerful symbol of fighting back and gaining inspiration by overcoming adversity,” said LHS co-founder and cancer survivor, James Chippendale. “We have led music expeditions to the top of some of the world’s highest mountains and used those treks to provide millions with inspiration and many with the cancer treatment they wouldn’t have otherwise, so this is an ideal location to symbolize the fight we are waging against cancer. From the people at the local Oncology wards, to cancer survivors, to musicians, this will be a day for everyone to come together to for a real tangible cause.”

The event will be followed that night by Philly Rocks, an unprecedented charity concert at The Field House in Philadelphia featuring members of The Gin Blossoms, Squeeze, The Alarm, The Fixx, Gene Loves Jezebel and Nick Harper who will perform to raise money for cancer care.

For more information about the LHS “Rocky’s Run” and “Philly Rocks” visit http://www.lovehopestrength.org/site/philly-rocks/

To pledge $1 per step, go to http://www.lovehopestrength.org/site/stepathon/

To add a name to one of the thousands of prayer flags being hiked to the top of Mt. Kilimanjaro, go to www.lovehopestrength.org/site/prayer-flag-post/

About the Love Hope Strength Foundation

With headquarters in Denver and chapters in Texas, the United Kingdom, Peru, and Australia, LHS brings critical funding, material support and awareness to cancer initiatives worldwide. LHS has traveled the globe to Mt. Everest, the Empire State Building, Mt. Snowdon, and Machu Picchu, Peru, using the universal language of music to purchase life saving equipment, spread awareness, promote early detection, and register people to the international bone marrow database. Co-founded by cancer survivors James Chippendale, CEO of CSI Entertainment Insurance, and Mike Peters, front man of The Alarm; and with the support from legends in rock n' roll and passionate volunteers from around the globe, LHS is making a tangible difference in the fight against cancer.

* Join the Love Hope Strength Army to receive advanced event details and pre-enrollment opportunities: http://www.lovehopestrength.org/site/join-the-army/
    * For more information on LHS and how you can get involved, visit: www.lovehopestrength.org

2. scotpaulabear

Anyone else going to any of these gigs? :biggrin:

3. scotpaulabear

4. scotpaulabear

5. NoCelebrity

NoCelebrity Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Lost in Conversion

Hope I'm not too late to wish you a happy visit, SPB!

Why don't you come to Chicago in November? You're taking the whole Harpic tour anyway, right?

XXXOOO :D(forgive me if I'm too late)

6. scotpaulabear

After September, NC, I think sadly I'll be passing on November :bored: but with days like today I won't complain!

Check out my pics of the Rocky's Run here - will let everyone know when I add Philly Rocks pics. Let me tell you, you haven't lived til you've heard Nick collaborate on Fixx tunes and a rollicking cover of "Eye of the Tiger" :D

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=146159&id=629582931&l=dd89665ff9

[​IMG]

7. scotpaulabear

Hulloooooooooooo from a rockin' hotel in Clark, NJ :biggrin: Nick and Cy have rocked the houses in Philly, Pittsburgh (though sadly the house was rather small - NC, wish you had been - but someone shouted for Riverside, made Nick's night :D ) and MusicFest in Joisey... the way they perform together is amazing, I can't recommend them enough. And Nick's solo set today definitely made a few rabid converts immediately - including the girls on the ferris wheel who kept shouting encouragement to him just before his set started :wink:

Bit stalled posting pics due to poor net availability - boo! - but more to come soon...

OH! and if you're coming to NYC, make sure to be there earlier than 9 (or 10 as one Faceache page says), Nick could go on any time between 8 and 10 so better to be safe than sorry!

8. scotpaulabear

Oh. My. GOD. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: Enough to send even me speechless...

[youtube]HrMZUhwJqRA[/youtube]

9. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

Wicked..

Wicked, real and wonderful!

andi:biggrin:

10. WrexTheDragon

WrexTheDragon I've got a zappy little nappy

Union County Music Fest in Clark, NJ on 9/12/09

Cy and Nick. Remember Me When I'm Gone

[youtube]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wr841NUyit8&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wr841NUyit8&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Also Saved by Zero

[youtube]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/biJ3yVsZc00&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/biJ3yVsZc00&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
  11. SHAUN I

SHAUN I It's so clear on the wings of the dawn

Top Cy & Nick tunes..Cheers!

12. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

13. NoCelebrity

NoCelebrity Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

The Further Adventures of Nick HARPER (apologies TFT!)

Great footage and photos. "Saved By Zero" wouldn't play (the song I knew already) so I couldn't compare the Live v. Studio. Actually, got it now... Love to hear how the ARTISTE strip down, build up, or change their songs around. If NICK is going to be in Chicago w/ Cy I'll have to order more Harpic to truly appreciate the EVENT!

14. scotpaulabear

Am loving Nick's US tour diary on his news page :biggrin: Will post it here (sans links) if you all don't mind - a little on-topic never hurt eh? :wink:

--

From across the pond.

The first visit stateside for a while and what a great time we had. It seems anything hosted by the LoveHopeStrength foundation is invested with extra goodness that, to coin a phrase seeps out all over the place. I had such a great time in Philadelphia that I can't tell you because you would be sick. It was that good. The LHS band (Peters,Tilbrook,Curnin,Stevenson,Wilson and Harper) delivered some rousing versions of old favourites and some old versions of favourite rousers, but the cause cemented the vibe long into the night. This was after the historic reenactment of 'Rocky's run' to the top of the Art Museum steps where we shadow boxed with 'The Eye of the Tiger' Hahahahahah. We carried 6000 prayer flags with us that will be flown at the summit of Kilimanjaro in honour of people lost and people still in the fight. I was also cheerfully surprised to see not only a plaque in honour of the architect of this impressive building dedicated to the arts, but, only in America, a 10 foot bronze statue of Rocky himself. Well, Sylvester Stallone as the fictional character in that landmark film.

Pittsburgh was the first toe in the water with my good friend Cy Curnin in the USA. Cy's view is at once personal, but at the same time epic and far - reaching, but always with huge dollops of genuine passion, a bit like my old man in that respect. We've got a good thing going that will hopefully mean I'll go back to this incredible country more often in the future.. In fact we have a tour planned for November - news at 11.

The second LHS day was in Jersey at the Union County Music Fest which is hosted by 'One of the 38' George Devanney. It was a bit of a murky day , but I played two sets, one with Cy and one on me tod - jolly good fun they were too. That night I travelled into one of my favourite places on earth - New York City. I was genuinely excited as I 'hit town' and we used it up and wore it out in fine style.

This was all excellent preparation for the last gig in a great bar called 'Ulysses' near Wall Street right at the Southern tip of Manhattan. Glenn made it as well as Cy so the three amigos were in full effect until the fat lady finally sang.

Yes i did have reservations beforehand, but despite it being a long way from home and too big and separated from us by a common language etc. I'm looking forward to going back in November. I was also really pleased to see some old friends that made me think there's life in the old dog yet!

15. scotpaulabear

Just found this pic on the LHS Facebook page and it cracked my shiz right up :D

[​IMG]

16. scotpaulabear

17. scotpaulabear