1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nick @ Zanzibar Club, L'pool Apr 5

Discussion in 'On Tour' started by HarperPR, Feb 16, 2009.

1. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

Zanzibar Club
    43 Seel Street
    Liverpool L1 4AZ

£10 adv / £12 door

Doors 6.30pm
    2 supports (tba) from 7.15pm
    Nick 8.45pm

0151 707 0633

www.thezanzibarclub.com

And for those not familiar with the Zanzi, it has a 260 capacity and cafe style tables at the front near the stage. It's pretty damned cool, as it goes!:)

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  2. pete c

pete c I've got a zappy little nappy

Is this the same place on Seel St*. where he played on the Trevor Island tour, supported by John Smith (ace) and Liam Frost (OK)?

If so, there were no tables then, as I recall. Were you at that one, PR?

*it has to be the same place I would think.

3. scotpaulabear

scotpaulabear Halfway up my own guitar, propping up another bar

Hi Pete, that was (and still is I believe) the Barfly at 90 Seel Street, this is the Zanzibar at 43 Seel Street. Must be a popular street for clubs :D

And I keep hearing John Smith is great - must go check him out!
    *makes men'al note*

4. HarperPR

No, not the same, but in same street. You're thinking of the Barfly. I was there last with Simon, Critch, Sarah - and you were SUPPOSED to be! - in 07.

Zanzi nice! Zanzi promoter nice! 200 people needed to fill!:D

5. HarperPR

Anyone who missed this one missed out - big time!

God, hope tonight in Chester is as good...

6. Wrexy33

Wrexy33 I've got a zappy little nappy

Were we at the same gig?! :confused1:

A dirty smelly venue with terrible acoustics - Nick came over with way to much bass.

To get a decent view of him was difficult unless you were prepared to stand on a chair.

The noise from the crowd was horrendous - even Nick gave up trying to communicate to us after 4 songs.

Why people want to watch a gig and then proceed to shout a conversation with their friends throughout the evening is beyond me.

There must have been at least a couple of dozen people who just walked out in disgust.

I've watched Nick over 20 times down the years and that was the worst gig I've had the displeasure to attend.

Missed out big time - your having a laugh. :cursing:

Rex.

7. scotpaulabear

scotpaulabear Halfway up my own guitar, propping up another bar

Aww that sucks. Poor you, poor Nick! :bored: Really mad gigs can be great for one person and ****e for another though, may depend on your alcohol consumption LOL.

I do love Nick's euphemistic (sp?) description of the gig :wink:
    http://www.harperspace.com/nick-harper-news.html

8. pete c

pete c I've got a zappy little nappy

This is why I don't bother with scouse gigs any more.

9. critch

critch Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Hmmmnnnn not sure

Hi folks.

It was with great regret I didn't go to this gig. In fact I've not been to any so far this tour! :(

I'd been sailing at an open that day and was shattered - I did intend to go, but by the time we got away it was a bit too late to make it comfortably.

Anyways, I'm not so sure I would have enjoyed it given the reviews, due to the crowd. But hey. I still think I should have gone, and half regret not doing so. Oh well...

10. HarperPR

A few pix from the crazy Zanzi!:D

Attached Files:

11. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

Nick's bass

Well I just love the sound of Nick's bass. Never heard anything like it before. The guitar sounded like a totally different animal. Absolutely wonderful. Sends shivers..

chrs
    andi

12. bigchris

bigchris Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Never Say Never !!

23 Years ago ... after suffering from a horrendous hangover ( a whole night drinking dozens of bottles of Diamond white cider - 2 bottles for 50p !! ) I swore that I would never drink cider again !!

I stook to this pledge for 21 years ... until I tried a bulmers with ice ... and before I knew it I was loving the stuff again ... this time hangover free !!

12 years ago ... after suffering many gigs being spoiled by horrendous scousers ... I swore I would never see another Nick or Roy gig in or around Liverpool.

I stook to this pledge for 11 years but when Nick decided to play in the tunnels in Liverpool ... that kind of gimmick, made me change my mind. Now, although that gig was a good craic ... it too was spoiled by noisy scousers.

So why on earth did I go to the Zanzibar Club on Sunday ?

Well firstly, because I now have some excellent scouse mates ... and secondly I know what to expect !! If you expect a quiet gig ... then don't go to one in Liverpool. Some people might think this is bad ... but as Nick said, the folk of Liverpool are highly passionate people and like to "put their hair down" and enjoy themselves in style !! And that's exactly what happened on Sunday !! I would have hated that gig, if I was sober ( & small ) ... but most of the points that Wrexy33 made as bad ones ... IMHO were completely opposite. I was one of the folk getting bladded ( BUT not talking during the songs !! ) and I just thought the atmosphere was seriously electric ... everyone ( well obviously in hindsight this is untrue ) was really getting into the vibe ... dancing (?) all around at the front and just having a blast !! I've seen Nick 100's of times over the past 20 years .... and this ( as well as the superb Brighton shows the other week ) was easily one of the most enjoyable !! I think you just had to be in the same state as the majority of the crowd and just not take it too seriously !!

Though saying this I was upset at one point ... when I shouted for "Vampire Song" ... and Nick replied with "no way. not tonight ! " .. but that disappointment only lasted for about 30 seconds ... as he seriously surprised me ... by playing my favourite Nick song, that I haven't heard in years - "Song of Madness" - I just couldn't believe my ears ... WHAT a way to finish of an amazing night !!

[ I spoke to him afterwards ... and asked him where he dug SOM from ... he had no idea ... but I told him ... that he better get prepared to play it again at the gigs in the big smoke ... and he said he would ... I can't chuffing wait !! ]

13. HarperPR

Agree with what you say largely. I think people find different elements in each show that either does it for them...or doesn't.

I still stand by Komedia, Brighton last year as being one of my personal all-time favourites. SimonF and I were talking about that very thing last night. That worked for me because all the various elements were on top form. Plus I think Simon took some of his best shots ever there, and which I've used over and over.

He did take some nice ones at the Latest, and he's promised to put a few of the 270+ - ! - he took at Manchester up here...eventually!