1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

North Country featured in BBC2 Elton documentary

Discussion in 'General' started by The Monster, Nov 1, 2010.

1. The Monster

The Monster I've got a zappy little nappy

Snippets used as background to the introduction to Bernie Taupin during the excellent EJ doc on Saturday

2. Barry

Barry Computer stained fingers

Elton John....Yuuuk!

3. Watcher

Watcher Computer stained fingers

I'm sorry, but dismissing Elton John strikes me as sheer musical snobbishness - you may not like all of his music (and indeed I don't) but he has given us a host of quality songs over the years in a wide variety of styles. He isn't just a glam rock showoff or schmaltzy balladeer (although he can be both of those things) - there's a lot of heartfelt emotion and meaning in many of his and Bernie Taupin's songs as well as some killer tunes that are excellently played by fine musician with a rocking band. Look beyond the stupid specs and daft costumes and I'm sure you could find a lot to appreciate.

4. SHAUN I

SHAUN I It's so clear on the wings of the dawn

I wholeheartedly agree Barry. I listened to some EJ albums some years ago, lent to me by a friend but just couldn't get past the sanctomonious love song formula that he adopted :banghead: he churned out top 20 hit after another, granted, but all were written first and foremost to make money, and serious millions too, by selling fodder to the masses. The documentary I saw about him a while back had him dressed in a wig and a flowing pink ball gown, marrying another man, but hey, what constitutes a glam rock showoff these days? But I do agree he is a good musician, and his performance in The Who's "Tommy" convinced me of that, I never pursued his music further, but I can at least say, I tried! And if that's musical snobbishness, then I can live with that :m22:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2010
  5. Barry

Barry Computer stained fingers

That's the great thing about music, we all like different things, I have listened to Elton John and Stevie Wonder for that matter and just can't get what all the fuss is about, but millions buy their albums.
    I also understand that some people find Bob Dylan unbearable while I really enjoy a lot of his earlier material, I imagine the same can be said about most artists. A lot of what I like is a bit off the mainstream which probably says something about my personality, not sure it makes me a musical snob but I've been given worse labels than that before now!

6. The Monster

The Monster I've got a zappy little nappy

Agree that his output over the years has been fairly uneven, and haven't listened to any of the new stuff in ages, but...

Went along to his concert at Vicarage Road in the summer, rather on sufferance as the rest of the family wanted to go and it was a benefit for my footy team, after all.

Have to say he was utterly amazing: musically the band was faultless, huge energy and brilliant sound throughout. He played a complete Greatest Hits set for around 2 hours and everything sounded fresh and relevant. He was funny, self-deprecating and the consummate showman, but without the daft clothes, if you discount the Watford shirt he revealed part way through!

Was also impressed by his collaboration with Leon Russell in the recent Electric Proms series.

7. SteveT

SteveT Gracing the Bahamas in see through pyjamas

There's even a cameo appearance by Neil Young on that new long player.