1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playing Prison

Discussion in 'Words and Music' started by Travellerman, Dec 29, 2007.

1. Travellerman

Travellerman Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

When you say that I have done it before
    So it should come easy now
    (well) Come the day when we show us to the door
    There'll be sorrow
    Throwing shadow
    Chasing rainbow
    Anyhow
    And then I think of why I'm leaving again
    And why I'll never settle down
    Loathe to further so-called civilisation
    Growing sorrow
    Throwing shadow
    Chasing rainbow
    Anyhow
    Somewhere in the world if I care I have my children
    Somewhere in the world outside the ark
    Somewhere in the world here and there I always left them
    Somewhere in the world like you said I left my mark
    Just a trace forever leaving
    It sure comes easy now
    From a place I disbelieve in
    Growing sorrow
    Throwing shadow
    Chasing rainbow
    Playing prison
    Anyhow

I like this song. I know it's not an 'epic' Harper track, but never-the-less, it's one that always stops me doing whatever it is at the time, it '*****s my ears'...("P R I C K S") and something deeper, "...And then I think of why I'm leaving again
    And why I'll never settle down
    ..." hmmm.

The last few times I've seen Roy it's been (coincidentally) when he's been playing Stormcock. Personally, I'd really like to go to a gig and just hear the oddities, and tracks that 'don't come out so often' anymore, the shorter ones too. This would be one of them.

:D

Last edited: Dec 29, 2007
  2. Barry

Barry Computer stained fingers

Agree and Too Many Movies.

3. pd

pd Slightly Desperate Staff Member

Sorry about the overzealous bad word filter :)

I agree, Playing Prison is a great song. And yes, an evening of "rare" tracks would be superb, wouldn't it? I suppose though it comes down to how much time he's prepared to spend rehearsing songs just for a one-off rendition. I think that of late Roy has tended to settle on a list of songs for an entire tour. Bit of a shame really but I can see why he might prefer to do it that way.

4. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

Yes, I love Too Many Movies.

And The Game, please!:biggrin:

5. Travellerman

After a gig one night, I said to Roy that 'The Monster' needed to be out there more, he mused a while and it seemed to strike a chord. I believe it did 'come back' a year later too, though I wasn't there to hear it (damn!)

I found myself enjoying the first set at the 100 club more than the Stormcock stuff, those shorter songs that I don't get to hear so often.

Anyway, if have been to enough concerts over the years there's usually a good 'spread' to keep everyone happy. One of the most amazing moments I recall was in the Bloomsbury Theatre years ago (1992/3) when Roy just drifted off into some guitar that I didn't know and I don't think anyone else did either, he was just jamming and it was awesome.

:D

6. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

I think I was there for that one!

7. Travellerman

Maybe.

There was another point in the evening, maybe at the end of that 'jam' (in either case, we'd been sitting there listening to this amazing piece of guitar work) when Roy suddenly stopped palying, leant forward to someone in the first row and asked what the first word of the song he was supposed to be playing was.

"I" was the reply.

Then he began again and sang 'Next to me', but I don't think he finished it. He stopped at some point and stated that he would never play the song again live.

It was a very intense time, and the gigs were amazingly open and honest experiences, it was raw, just raw. He even had a girlfriend of mine in tears after one gig (Brighton, Heineken Festival 1993). Nick did a set there too, nice to be stood near Roy as Nick played 'Crazy Boy'.

8. Shane

Shane Computer stained fingers

I got a hold of loony on the bus a week or so ago and have had this song (playing prison) on repeat ever since, I think its perfect! Does anyone know if it dates from the late 70s commercial breaks sessions or if it was a later track? It sounds like the 80s to me although I can imagine it would have fit on bullinamingvase quite well if it had a band on it. Used he play it live?

Loony on the bus is also quite a catchy tune, and I much prefer this version of ten years ago to the unknown soldier version.

9. NoCelebrity

NoCelebrity Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

I've only got so many albums by Roy to catch up on, and LOONY is one of them. Glad to hear I still have curious surprises in store.

10. Travellerman