1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Podcast 10

Discussion in 'Podcast' started by pd, Jun 3, 2008.

1. pd

pd Slightly Desperate Staff Member

I published the 10th podcast last night. It's a shorter one than many recent ones, which is good as they have definitely been going on too long. Though that's mainly due to long interviews and/or the playing of long songs. Anyway, the 2nd part of the Burnhams interview was good fun listening back to it again, and I hope there are a couple of decent bits of music to get your teeth into.

The audio quality of the unknown soldier single is very bad. It was supplied as an mp3 that already had a low bitrate and the original single was very clicky and poppy. Unfortunately I had to decode it to raw in order to apply some noise removal processes then re-encode it to mp3 for the podcast, which has meant that you can really hear the audio artifacts. Just remember, mp3 fans, these noises are there on every mp3 you listen to, just hidden in the mix. This is why mp3 is bad, m'kay?

Paul.

2. pd

Clearly not a very popular one, this :)

3. Travellerman

Travellerman Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Due to a very full hard drive on my laptop, I have only just managed to download the last two podcasts! But this did allow me a large Harper indulgence over the last few nights.

The quality was as good as ever, I laughed aloud at the "Shownut" at the end of 10 (let's get that word into common useage shall we!), and I heard "Watersports" for the first time ever (I think) and that really was a highlight! You're doing good work Paul and it is much appreciated.

Being 'on the road' and distant, the Harper Podcasts are a little taste of something familiar, a reminder of 'home' perhaps, a touchstone for me (here in NZ). Each month it's like opening a Christmas present, you never know what's going to be inside, but there's always a pleasant surprise or two.

On a technical note, the Harper tracks you play on the Podcast sound better than the same tracks I have copied from CD to my iPod. How's that? I copy at 128kbps (AAC) via iTunes.

4. pd

Thanks very much Travellerman.
    Interesting. Well, I have the albums all imported into iTunes on my Mac using Apple Lossless so there are no audio encoding artifacts at that stage. When I import them into the podcast I normally do some level adjustment - most of the earlier "Awareness-era" ones are a bit quiet.

But, I think the main thing that's causing your impression is that I do a final compression on the whole thing after mixing and prior to encoding. That makes the whole thing sound louder. I don't like doing it much but it's essential for people with iPods and the like, especially if they're in a noisy environment.

Finally I export to MP3 128K which I found was the best trade-off between sound quality and file size.

Cheers

Paul.

5. Travellerman

Travellerman Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Last edited: Jun 14, 2008
  6. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

No. 10 Podding Street

Good stuff again Paul and when I get dongled up properly at home will be able to save the Pods on my hard drive. These dongles seem pretty amazing and not sure if Ian realises you don't need to install landlines these days and pay installation and quarterly charges to the likes of BT etc...?

You could bring out oneday then a compilation from his fans as a celebration CD set of the A - Z of Harper without infringing Copyright then maybe?

chrs
    andi