1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Podcast 13

Discussion in 'Podcast' started by pd, Aug 14, 2008.

1. pd

pd Slightly Desperate Staff Member

A day early, I've published the mid-August "extra" episode. This one contains part 2 of the Roy Harper interview, 50 minutes worth, along with one or two other gems (well, your opinion may differ!).

http://www.stormcock.net/node/493

I've put what I think is a good photo of Roy on the shownotes too, at http://www.stormcock.net/node/492

Paul.

2. LAdrain

LAdrain I've got a zappy little nappy

Roy's second podcast and 3 recordings from Cropredy on Dime.

I will be in for a good day in the pub tomorrow.

3. Kenny_Wisdom

Kenny_Wisdom Computer stained fingers

I was utterly fascinated by what Roy said about the whole business of touring - so much so that I will have to revisit the podcast to just take it all in again.

Even so, the message that Roy said he was tired of touring, because he felt he wasn't getting as much as he felt he should from the experience, was very interesting.

From an academic point of view the concept of "barter and exchange" taking place during a performance is an extremely interesting one - and Roy's roots, coming from the sixties, through the folkscene and that whole "democracy" of performer / audience relationship perhaps made it all the more inevitable that Roy would attract a crowd given to "spontaneity", which gives rise to the audience / performer "exchange", which can occasionly elevate the concert to a special place, yet, regrettably, can also shoot it down in flames, seemingly to the point where even Roy has tired of that whole schtick.

I'll have to go back over the interview, Paul, to just make sure I understood the context of the remark correctly, but I think that was such a compelling insight you caught on...er...tape? Nay, binary!

Just brilliant, bravo!

4. pd

pd Slightly Desperate Staff Member

Thanks Kenny.

We do talk a bit more about touring, and futures, in the 3rd part but I thought this was a very telling insight into how Roy views the whole business.

As one would expect from Roy, he didn't hold anything back while we were talking. There's no polished "veneer", as I said in the interview. What you see is what you get and it's one of the reasons I've been one of his "constituents" for so long.

Paul.

5. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

Audience/Roy compatabilty ratio of tolerance

But do you think he would be an easy person to actually live with? Often very talented people can end up impossibly lonely some of their lives, which often is not their fault because it's hard to live with an Einstein in the house 24/7, and I would imagine incessant touring can become habitually tiresome if the audience gets repetitive in it's demands of him. Also I would imagine sometimes he prefers his solitude like a lot of us and we don't feel the urge to always be in the public eye?

andy [haven't listened to #13 yet, maybe tomorrow]

:m21:Very harperesque [new word!]