1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Podcast 14

Discussion in 'Podcast' started by pd, Sep 1, 2008.

1. pd

pd Slightly Desperate Staff Member

I've just published Septembers podcast. This one is almost entirely interview. It goes much more into specifics about reissues, what we can expect next, and so on. It also contains some personal comments by Roy about his health recently; not an easy thing to talk about but I think he made the right decision to keep it in.

Paul.

2. pete c

pete c I've got a zappy little nappy

Nice one Paul, hoping to listen later today. :)

3. Jim

Jim Computer stained fingers

Hoorah!

thanks Paul... only just got over the 2nd one.

Comments will follow

Jx:m2:

4. webbyla

webbyla Computer stained fingers

grass

This podcast certainly clears up Roy's current position on gigging/etc.

Thanks again Paul, the whole interview felt like it was bathed in sunshine - possibly the nearest thing to a summer some of us got.

I think giving Roy the space to answer questions in his inimitable rambling style was a master stroke. He always managed to pull it back to the question in hand even after the listener had long forgotten what it was!!!

But I have to admit I enjoyed the interruptions the most:

"Tony, Tony ... Tony"

So now we know what Mr Blair is doing for a job these days- he is cutting Roy's grass!

5. Shane

Shane Computer stained fingers

nice one, paul. thanks for this interview! this last one is the most interesting, i found. its encouraging to hear he's thinking three albums into the future! the touring news is slightly alarming though, being a young lad i've only seen him play 11 times (plus the guitar workshop...) and only one of those was less than superb. i could happily keep going to roy harper gigs for many years to come. one of the things i like about being a RH fan is that putting on an album or going to a gig is like dipping into a lucky bag. it doesnt matter if a gig isnt as good as the last one or if the methane zone comes on because miles remains will be on soon and the next gig you might get short and sweet or something and the bag itself is magical. the gigs, the albums, the book, the dvd, and whatever else (this interview) all seem to me to be one self-contained thing, a lifes work i suppose, and some bits are better than others but it seems to have a consistant backdrop and character and sense of purpose no matter where you dip in. i dont always agree with or like the stuff he prattles on with sometimes but i like the sense i always get (from his records and gigs etc) that he sticks to his guns and lives life rather than just passes through it and thats always a good thing to see and try to take example from. sorry, thats a bit waffly.

6. SHAUN I

SHAUN I It's so clear on the wings of the dawn

Me too, loved the moment when Tracy interrupted proceedings to ask for some money from Roy, "well what do you want it for?" and the bit where he tried to get Tony's attention (to cut the unbelievable engine noise and stop cutting the grass.) "It'll get quieter" :biggrin: I could relate to these real everyday occurences,

Nice to hear thoughts and doodles from the horses mouth as it were..

Look forward to the "Final Harper Tour"

Indulging the "token toke" :sifone:

7. windjammer

windjammer I've got a zappy little nappy

Old harper fan, new to the forum

Hi Paul, as a longtime Harper fan and reader of Stormcock I thought I would finally register for the Forums. Like Roy I who won't see the big 60 again. Sorry to hear about his ill health but am I the only one that thought that in the last couple of years gigs he didn't look well? It didn't affect his playing though, still full of fire.
    I first saw Roy back in 1967 at the Albert Hall on a combined folk bill which featured such diverse folk artistes as The Watersons and Al Stewart and several others that I have long forgotten. I subsequently saw him at Les Cousins, not the recorded live CD gig, a couple of Hyde Park free shows and various gigs in the 70s incuding the Rainbow St Valentine's Day show. I must admit I went off him after "The Unknown Soldier" but started getting back into him around "Jugula" briefly then in the 90s with "Unhinged", "Once" and "Death or Glory". The 1998 comeback album "The Dream Society" was very mixed, if I ever hear the awful duet on "Songs Of Love" again I will throw up! But the title track and "These 50 years" were good. I have seen several shows throughout the "Noughties". I lived in Berkshire for many years and saw Roy at venues in Reading, High Wycombe and Aylesbury. At the end of 2006 we moved down to Cornwall, I might add that my wife is NOT a Harper fan but each to their own. The only time I have seen Roy since is May 2007 in Penzance, a superb show.
    This brings me to Roy's comments on any future gigs. Stating the obvious he is a 67 year old man who has been in poor health (hopefully over it now) so obviously tours involving a lot of mileage are very tiring. However his idea of London, Birmingham, Manchester, Newcastle and maybe Scotland would still leave vast areas of the country untouched. At last year's Penzance gig he said how much he enjoyed coming to Cornwall because it was so like Ireland and he hoped he could come again, but obviously his health problems have got in the way.
    As he is happy in Clonakilty, and Matt Churchill is just down the road, why doesn't he do another video but this time at home, after all wasn't part of the "Death of God" video shot there? There wouldn't be hoards of Harper fans' carbon footprints across the Irish Sea (if you believe the "man is responsible for Global Warming" myth, but that's another story).
    On the subject of the Pod Cast interviews might I suggest that at times you are too reverential! Yes you and I and all the others who listen to the cast are Harper fans but surely part of the enjoyment of the gigs was when somebody would argue with Roy and fire Roy up which would enhance the show. To sit and treat everything that Roy says as being like the tablets of stone handed down to Moses by God surely goes against everything Roy stands for. Roy, just like you or I, talks complete b******s at times. A good friendly argument would have enlivened the Pod Cast up a bit!
    Anyway I have rambled on to long, too much listening to Roy over the years! Looking forward to the Farewell gigs.

Windjammer, somewhere in Cornwall

8. pd

I think that's a bit harsh!

My agenda was not to provoke, my agenda was to give Roy the chance to speak to his "constituency" after being quiet for what felt like a long time. Regular listeners to the podcast and readers of the mailing list and other things I participate in will know that I don't always agree with him. In this particular circumstance, I was an invited guest and wanted to give him the chance to speak, at length, about whatever he wanted though I did of course have a list of topics.

One thing I vehemently dislike is the way the "press" deliberately try to provoke and make ridiculous statements to get a response. Not my thing at all I'm afraid.

I will freely admit I do worry about the podcast being too sycophantic. But I say what I feel; I wouldn't be doing all this if I wasn't a fan, would I?

9. Kenny_Wisdom

Kenny_Wisdom Computer stained fingers

Ah, an interview with Roy night not be a "tablet of Stone", but they certainly felt and sounded like "manna from heaven!"

They've been a rare treat, an absolute coup.

:biggrin:

10. scotpaulabear

scotpaulabear Halfway up my own guitar, propping up another bar

Thank you for all the interview podcasts Paul, the few times I've had the chance to talk to Roy I've found him really interesting and intelligent, and the interview just confirmed that for me. Also, our family's been helping my uncle (to whom I'm really close) deal with cancer, including prostate cancer, this past year - he's getting well thankfully, and his positive attitude is a lot like Roy's - so it was a shock to hear that Roy's been going through the same thing. Wishing him all the best...

11. windjammer

windjammer I've got a zappy little nappy

It's obvious you're a fan Paul as we all are and many thanks for the Pod Casts. But haven't you been to Roy gigs over the years when he has sometimes said about a strange atmosphere to the gig. Sometimes it might have been the venue and sometimes it was because we the audience, as keen Harper fans, just sat there and applauded after every song. I always got the impression that Roy loved a response and a bit of wit and repartee and that a good friendly argument, as I said before, actually fired him up to do a great gig. It also fits in with his own philosophy, as he said in the Pod cast of not getting too serious and following one of his long songs with something irreverent like "Kangaroo Blues" or "Punch And Judy" of recent years.

12. pd

I get what you're saying :D And I think a second chat would probably be a bit less reverential... but it ain't easy interviewing your heroes you know... :biggrin:

13. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

Now THAT is a good topic for a thread!

14. Shane

Shane Computer stained fingers

when can we expect this?

15. pd

Sometime after the credit crunch goes soggy and before we send that manned mission to mars, at a guess... :D

16. pete c

pete c I've got a zappy little nappy

Brilliant stuff Paul. Makes me want to pack up & move to Southern Cork immediately, magpies or no magpies.

All the best
    Pete

17. NoCelebrity

NoCelebrity Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

I was halfway through podcast 13 when my first new Roy arrived. Then my second shipment of new RH arrived just before #14, so it took me awhile to get around to them. I felt guilty without first getting caught up on all Roy's wonderful music (about 12-13 hours worth now, up 300%-ish).

Another delay was caused by my rediscovering another favorite personae obscura's (I hope my latin makes sense) websites, firesigntheatre.com. and planetproctor.com. No one at Stormcock responded to my query re: The Firesign Theatre (not actually a theatre), but I did get comments about SCI-FI authors from the same post. Last night, Craig Ferguson (from your side of the pond, but he hosts the show after David Letterman) railed about Firesign's character (George) Leroy Tirebiter's name without knowing who he was, and I received an email about it today. I'm in a positive mood, and half expect Ferguson to mention Firesign and Roy tonight (If he does, you'll hear a noise from 4,000 miles away around 6am London time. It'll be me.)

Anyway, back to the podcast.

A true pleasure, Paul and Roy, in spite of the worrisome news. My Dad had high PSA tests beginning at age 70 (from 4 up to around 40). He lived with prostate cancer without it spreading until he died after a stroke in 2005 at the age of 85. At almost 49 years old, my PSA's are always very low, but my A1Cs go from 6 to 7.5 (good numbers for Type 1 Diabetes, 35 years). My oldest brother has bad throat cancer for 2 years now and never smoked. We almost never know our ultimate fate until it knocks on our metaphysical door.

I insist on being positive about Roy's outlook, and continue to wish him the best. My Dad would have been impressed Roy compared his intellect to Alan Greenspan's (I freaked out!). Roy is certainly smarter than the current Federal Reserve! But we pray or perform positive incantations for them all and our world economy.

Sorry this post isn't more to the point (sort of like a favorite interviewee of mine!).

Thanks Paul, and keep up the good work! I promise I'll try harder to record a short bit re: my intro to Roy in the 70's, but it looks about 5 minutes long right now(MP3 of AAC?). I've written a bunch of odds and ends too, but I'm afraid you might all be getting sick of me by now!

18. pd

I certainly wouldn't be adverse to an "extended voicemail" to run on the show. It'd be a nice halfway point between an interview and a quick message, and I like to find out what makes other Harper fans tick - so hopefully it's the same for everyone else!

Don't worry about talking too much. You have to remember that a lot of the Roy fans here have been at this game for many years, so we tend to say less having probably said it all before. New enthusiastic people are a breath of fresh air.

19. NoCelebrity

NoCelebrity Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Think I'll STALE a while longer!

I haven't been called "a breath of fresh air" in a long time, maybe never! Must be since I'm the "baby" in the family. (Wait 'til I get older? I'll never be older than my siblings! I've been waiting almost five decades...).

When I clicked on your box with JONI, I couldn't find her music (She's my favorite female American vocalist, even though she's Canadian). I'm too lazy to register at every site to explore further. Is that picture how you dressed for ROY's interview, Mr. Mistlethrush? Would love video of that!

If you keep nagging me with that polite (OED) British accent, my sense of obligation will grow and I'll have to send you an audio file before too long. But I might get carried away if I'm afraid my midwest/north shore (Webster's) dictionary accent is just too boring.

Cajun, anyone? It'll be wondermous, I gar-on-tee!:thumbup1:

20. pd

Ah, that photo was taken at my wedding in December 2006. I think at that time I was waiting for everyone to come in and fill the ceremony room before, of course, my wife-to-be made her grand entrance. Such a happy day -- photos are at http://www.flickr.com/photos/mistlethrush/sets/72157594544565978/. Such a fantastic day!

(and yes, there are way too many of these various sites to keep track of).

At the moment I think I like Joni's "Song to a Seagull" the best - the clear young voice she had then is simply marvellous.