1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Podcast 4

Discussion in 'Podcast' started by pd, Dec 7, 2007.

1. pd

pd Slightly Desperate Staff Member

My wife was out at her company xmas do this evening so I thought I'd do some work on the podcast... I got rather into it and completed the whole thing quite quickly for once!

I've done one or two different things on the audio side this time around. I'd be interested if anyone can hear them but I suspect it's only me.

I picked some rare and currently unavailable tracks this time around just for fun. Hope you like it.

Paul.

2. pd

pd Slightly Desperate Staff Member

Regarding audio, I did some messing around in Audacity over the weekend as I have continued to feel that the podcasts are a little on the quiet side - this is fine for playing at home on proper speakers, but if people are mobile and listening in the car or on an ipod, the quiet bits can get drowned out. I already use a compressor on my voice to keep the volume relatively constant, but the nature of Roy's music is such that there are plenty of dynamics and I've not been treating the music portions of the podcast at all other than some simple normalisation.

One thing I tried was applying some compression to the audio, much as a radio station would do, to basically make the quiet bits louder and flatten off the dynamic range somewhat. The musical purist in me doesn't like it, but it may make sense for the podcast. Also it has the side effect that the music is somewhat treated and may make it more attractive for people to buy the real thing!

Any opinions? If not, I'll try the compression on podcast 5 and see how people react to it.

3. Travellerman

Travellerman Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

I'm thoroughly enjoying these podcasts, it's great to hear others recollections of distant gigs. I'm also surprised we never met as you talk a lot about gigs that I was at too.

On one podcast, (2?) someone mentioned a long story told by Roy at the 100 Club one night involving Elton Johns girlfriend, well, I am fairly sure that I have some tapes of that gig, because someone who looked exactly like me, (but wasn't ;) ) made a recording of it. Maybe when I return to the UK I can dig them out for that chap. I have a poster for that gig too, "The Annual Visit of The Great Roy Harper", I'd like to get that signed and framed one day.

Your song selections are excellent aswell, how wonderful to hear the BIC version of Short and Sweet, it's amazing and I have only heard it off the cassette which is at home somewhere in my storage unit. Thanks for "The Great Roy Harper" too, that was a first for me. (Is it pedantic to point out that there are 3 versions of D or G not 2, if you include the version with the remastered track and alternate cover?).

Good work mate, I'm enjoying listening to them on rainy, grey days here in Tahiti!

Be Well... Stephen