1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Podcast 5

Discussion in 'Podcast' started by pd, Jan 14, 2008.

1. pd

pd Slightly Desperate Staff Member

I've just published podcast 5. I've done something fairly major with the audio mastering this time to make the whole thing "louder". Feedback welcome.

I would be interested to hear from anyone who, after hearing the interview portion of the podcast, may be interested in appearing in a future podcast to defend the virtue of "The Green Man". Get in touch if so.

This was a long one, longer than I'd like (too long to burn to one CD, for one thing) but I considered splitting the interview into two parts and eventually concluded that it was better left in one piece.

Paul.

2. Enjay

Enjay The Old Git on the Bus

Podcast #5

Excellent, really cheered me up and made me laugh out loud...
    Very entertaining

Nick

3. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

Pod 5

PD/

Yeah yeah hear hear!! Good stuff as I've said on the Mistlethrush just now.

I bet Ian Croppers could defend the Green Man with his Morris background
    steeped in know-all-knowledge. Read the 'Chymical Wedding' if you wanna a good read about alchemy/green men/ paganism/ ancient gargoyles ...etc. It's a good current read, very readable , set in Cambridgeshire about a man recently divorced trying to find himself. Won the Whitbread award a few years ago. Can't remember the author but traceable on Googly/Amazonia.
    Have mentioned this before I think...?
    aw

4. pete c

pete c I've got a zappy little nappy

Excellent stuff. El is a star interviewee, who made me laugh a few times there (and I was listening at work so - not easy) and, as someone who hasn't really been taken with anything by Roy since Once, I can see her point. It was interesting to hear the Green Man songs though. Nice work!

5. Travellerman

Travellerman Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

"The Green Man" needs defending!!!??? :confused1:

That's news to me! It's a very strong and decent album IMHO. :D

6. pd

Then get a decent Skype connection going some time in whatever country you are in and we can chat about that once you've listened to the El rant :)

P.

7. Travellerman

I'd love to help you out mate, but it's going to take me 9 hours to download the latest podcast (83mb) using the wi-fi access I have here in Rarotonga!

A fast connection is a beautiful thing! :D

8. SHAUN I

SHAUN I It's so clear on the wings of the dawn

Great job pd..I enjoyed the interview with El Rose she certainly conveyed her opinions and exactly what her views were about the green Man album, at one point she described it as a "piece of ****e" it's amazing how subjective we all can be when it comes to RH's music but you pays your money and takes your choice!
    I didn't start listening until gone midnight last night, I thought I'll just grab a bit of this and listen to the rest tomorrow - It was excellent therefore I ended up listening right to the finale of Rushing Camelot live and Cricketer, so much for an early night!!

9. Dr_Doom_The_Optimist

Dr_Doom_The_Optimist In a beautiful rambling mess

Wild Boys

Damn those pesky Duran Duran fans with their weird views on 'The Green Man' album!! :p

Cheers again for Pod5, Paul.
    +A

10. Bob Jacobs

Bob Jacobs Ride away in style

Congratulations again on a great podcast 5

Paul

You're keeping up the standard perfectly. It was a great interview with El Rose, though I was disappointed that she couldn't explain better why she thought Green Man was so awful. I find it difficult too but I agree it has something to do with Roy banging on again about the same old things only less eloquently and with those rather annoying tinkling guitar accompaniments. The cumulative effect of the first three songs is disastrous. However, individually, some of the songs are quite good and the choices for the podcast were good examples. Glasto is one of the most annoying songs he's ever recorded but Rushing Camelot is really quite good. Good to hear ECT and Cricketer in its best version as well. This kept me happy while I walked round Salisbury in persistent drizzle with a heavy rucksack on my back...

Cheers, Bob

11. pd

Yes, I agree with that Bob. I did try to get to the heart of it and it came down to a subjective impression really. I suppose music is all about subjectivity and you can't analyse it according to certain parameters and declare whether it's good or bad. It's interesting that nobody has yet leapt forward to declare that they're prepared to defend it but it's early days yet (there is a lady on myspace who seems quite outraged by El's comments but I don't know where that will go). In any case this is something I want to explore more in the interviews coming up.

At some point I will have worked through my list of "obvious" people to interview (people I know well and who are good at expressing themselves) at which point things will get interesting with a more random approach!

Paul.

12. elrose

elrose I've got a zappy little nappy

Paranoid? Me?

She really is quite judgemental isn't she. I'll never understand why people feel the need to get like that simply because someone disagrees with their taste in music. Maybe she could take a :chillpill:am particually amused that she thinks I would change my taste in music to please anyone :biggrinjester: Bless

13. elrose

Oh yeah and...

Sorry Bob if you felt my explanation lacking. I honestly thought that flat, lazy unconvincing performance of recycled tunes ad it covered :rofl:

14. Bob Jacobs

Bob Jacobs Ride away in style

No problem. That is quite a good description ... :) Is "flat" the right word though? (he said pickily).

Bob

15. elrose

Maybe not the 'right' word, but as close as I can come up with. It's not like I haven't given it some thought! :rant:

16. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

Elrose: would you be the person I lost the song bet to at the Half Moon?!

17. elrose

Miss, yes miss

18. DJ Burnham

DJ Burnham I've got a zappy little nappy

Please Miss

Please Miss...could we settle an issue:

"(there is a lady on myspace who seems quite outraged by El's comments but I don't know where that will go)"

How about a wrestling match?

Could mud be involved?:w00t:

Please Miss (grin)

D
    xxx

19. Travellerman

The Green Man - Mysterious, haunting and wonderful, one of Roys best (Tracks). The Apology is interesting, the Monster absolutely amazing! and I am about to run out of credit on the internet cafe sorry...more later

20. keithc

keithc I've got a zappy little nappy

Stopped me working

I posted this onto Paul's blog as a comment, but it seems to fit better here. So this is from yesterday morning.

I have only just discovered the podcast and am listening through back episodes. Playing "Cricketer" was just cruel. I am up against a deadline here, I can't afford to keep stopping to wipe the moisture from my eyes. :crying:

And just to prove ipods are the invention of the devil, Peter Hammill's "Just Good Friends" has turned up. That's me useless for another few minutes.