1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Post notification

Discussion in 'Site Suggestions' started by pd, Aug 6, 2009.

1. pd

pd Slightly Desperate Staff Member

I've just made a fairly major settings change: whenever you post into a thread you are "subscribed" to that thread, which means that if someone posts a reply later on, you'll receive an email to the address that you give when you registered to tell you about it. This should help make the forum a bit more "immediate" as you'll get to hear about responses as they happen rather than needing to come back and check.

All feedback appreciated, if everyone hates it I'll turn it off again :D You can turn it off yourself by going into "User CP" then "Edit Options" and select "Do Not Subscribe" under the "Default Thread Subscription Mode" box.

Paul.

2. fuzzytnth3

fuzzytnth3 Gracing the Bahamas in see through pyjamas

Gets a vote from me as a few other forums I'm on work that way, suits me :wink:

3. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

Which Forums?

Which Forums without being disclaimingly nosey? In my maths 'a few' is more than three btw....

c/a

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  4. scotpaulabear

scotpaulabear Halfway up my own guitar, propping up another bar

Nobody expects the Spanish inquisition...

Paul, can we opt out of thread subscriptions? I'm worried about tons of things I'm not interested in getting posted as a thread derails ;)

5. pd

Erm... yes, I told you how to do that at the end of the first post!

6. scotpaulabear

Sorry Paul, sleep deprivation has a lot to answer for... ;)

7. scotpaulabear

Oh and I've just realized you can unsub from the "thread tools" box when you're in the thread... :biggrin:

8. Travellerman

Travellerman Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

excellent, makes things much simpler, thanks. :D

9. NoCelebrity

NoCelebrity Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Post Post Activity

Got my first three, all for the same thread. (I'm wrong. Three different threads)

Seems like a good idea. Breaks up the junk in my email-box. Thanks for the options, pd!

Last edited: Aug 16, 2009
  10. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

I detest these notifications! I thought I had turned them off, but they still keep popping up? And usually in a batch several days after they've been posted...don't understand.

11. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

I thought I had - more than once. I do not want them. Ever. Again. They are annoying. Please, how do I stop them...:confused1:

Just checked: that is what I have - Do Not Subscribe - but still them come....

12. pd

Might be notifications from threads that you got subscribed to before changing the global option. Go to http://www.stormcock.net/vb/subscription.php and have a look - you can cancel all existing subscriptions there, and if you have the global option set, you'll never get another notification again. Unless I am feeling evil :leaving:

13. NoCelebrity

NoCelebrity Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Pest or post?

Maybe it's just I haven't visited as much lately, but I don't seem to get too many. Of course they stand out nicely against all the commercial emails.