1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Post throttling

Discussion in 'Site Suggestions' started by pd, Nov 5, 2008.

1. pd

pd Slightly Desperate Staff Member

I've enabled an experimental option to limit the number of posts per day for selected users to 3. I'm only applying this to users that post excessively, and mostly off-topic.

I wonder if anyone can guess who the current single beneficiary of this throttle is... :biggrin:

Last edited: Nov 5, 2008
  2. Wee Steve

Wee Steve Computer stained fingers

Scratches chin, briefly ...

I suspect we all can...

3. pete c

pete c I've got a zappy little nappy

is it Linn?

I love that phrase, post throttling, btw.

4. pd

Haha... er, no it isn't.

5. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

How very very dare you - no, it isn't (...er, I hope...soon find out won't I?:D). It'll be post-er throttling with you, lad! Mmm, reminds me, must put a few 'words' on RP about that Vision Thing...

:wink:

6. NoCelebrity

NoCelebrity Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

I average a little over one a day since joining, but I must be one of the twenty or so possibles... If not Linn (it couldn't be!) or a moderator, I wonder what I've been missing!

Asp, TM, BobJ? I can't imagine... Someone who shamelessly self-promotes (commercially)?

7. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

I suspect..

I suspect it's me as have been similarly culled in the past elsewhere. Sorry guys and dolls if my natural enthusiastic exuberance needs to get out everyday. Will be a bit more on topic in future if you like; even though I always thought off topic meant just that. I do however understand that someone on the computer all day who reads everthing it can get a bit tiresome; unlike me, who just pops in now and then and enjoys meeting like minded Harper people diurnally.

"..I don't believe it's possible this far into control, this far beyond the non-imagination....thought I'd stop once everybody showed, gathered in the myths of our reflections..."

chrs
    for noodles
    Andi :reddevil: :chillpill:

ps Nice to hear Mr Bill on the pod. He doesn't sound anything like I'd imagined all this time. He invited me onto his Facebook recently so there may be an outlet for my witterings?! You never know I might be interviewed on the Pod oneday? Only joking! I would like to hear HarperPR interviewed oneday as I am sure she'd have a lot of interesting experiences to relate.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2008
  8. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

Ha ha!:biggrin: Well, if Paul asks...but there might be a lot of 'No comment', 'Sorry, I can't answer that' and 'Can I have another glass of Pinot, please?' responses!:D:wink:

9. FunkyMunky

FunkyMunky Guest

[​IMG]

10. pd

I've issued a warning to your account.

There is free speech on the Internet so much as anyone - ANYONE - has the ability to set up their own forum, blog, web page, etc, to say anything they like.

Posting on a site hosted and paid for by someone else is a privilege, not a right, and you need to pay them the courtesy of fitting in with whatever guidelines they care to impose.

11. FunkyMunky

FunkyMunky Guest

Censorship is Censorship.

Don't bother warning the account - just delete it. I'll **** off back to where I've been quite happily posting all sorts of **** for the past year and a bit with no restrictions.

*flounce*

12. pd

Banned for one month for being an arse... have a nice day :)

13. wessexy witch

wessexy witch I've got a zappy little nappy

Is this serious ?
    :confused1:

14. Wee Steve

Wee Steve Computer stained fingers

Freedom v. Licence

With you all the way, PD.

Those who plead otherwise would, presumably, like these pages to be filled with adverts for strange chemicals that will augment various parts of my anatomy (I want to know how they know...), or with pleas to help their Nigerian grandson dying of oesophagal cancer after a nasty plane crash, or to get together with nice Russian lady. That'd be free speech, wouldn't it?

Er, no.

Just a bleeding nuisance, and something of a pain.

Which is, I think, the point of your action.

:hurray:

15. NoCelebrity

NoCelebrity Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Sorry, aspwatterson. I didn't actually mean anyone I listed. Just listing active participants I recognize most. I think we all get off-topic, me more than you. Not sure what the banned one did, I may search his threads, but a month isn't really so bad -- not a total repudiation, and hopefully he'll see it as polite request and be more Roy-centric in the future.

Was he whining about censorship, in an attempt to be sympathetic with ROY?

Ooops. I missed his last comments. Maybe it's better if he's banned. If he's a true fan of Roy, we can hope he'll come around...

Last edited: Nov 7, 2008
  16. Bob Jacobs

Bob Jacobs Ride away in style

Hear hear!

Bob

Sorry - this was meant to be a response to Paul's comment on the limits of free speech, not any subsequent comments, which I haven't yet read. But now, having read them, I think ASPW's "mea culpa" is on the spot. A bit more thinking before wittering would probably help ... I think Paul's patience has been Jobian but he's finally reached the same depths of desperation as many others on the email list. Funkymunky's contribution was way off message ...

Last edited: Nov 7, 2008
  17. wobbly bob

wobbly bob I've got a zappy little nappy

i know i'm (more than) a bit thick, but i don't get it....!

ah, well.....

18. pd

All drama aside, I've settled on a daily post throttle of 8. This means that spammers can only do a certain amount of damage if they strike while moderators are asleep (we had a small outbreak recently but I think only Pete C noticed. It was first thing in the morning but I get up early).

That said, I also have the ability to unrestrict post counts if situation warrants it. So if you think that not being able to post >8 posts in a 24 hour period will seriously affect you, feel free to get in touch and plead your case... :sneaky2: