1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R Harper album advice for a newbie!

Discussion in 'General' started by zaphox, May 11, 2012.

1. zaphox

zaphox I've got a zappy little nappy

Hi all,

I've recently discovered Roy Harper (don't ask me where I've been hiding all these years!) and I'm really taken. His unique style is hypnotic and fascinating.

I found the Sophisticated Beggar album on Spotify and got hooked. Unfortunately that's the only album available on Spotify, but I'm sufficiently impressed to buy a few CDs. After reading a bit about him it was clear I needed to hear Storkcock, and judging by the namesake of this site it's clear it's regarded as his best work, so I've just purchased that.

The thing is, and this may well be my current naivety on Roy, I prefer Sophisticated Beggar! Some of the tracks on SB just flaw me. I've really enjoyed my first few listens to SC but so far it's not had the same mesmerizing effect on me as tracks such as Blackpool, Girlie, and SB itself.

So, given Roy's bountiful back-catalog, I wondered which albums the experts would recommend for a newbie given my tastes.

Look forward to hearing any comments.

2. Kenny_Wisdom

Kenny_Wisdom Computer stained fingers

Hello. Z, and welcome...

Oh you are really opening the floodgates here! I hope you are ready for the deluge! There is of course so much material to go at that so many people will have different opinions!

From what you have listened to so far, chronologically, I think you might enjoy another earlier work called "Flat Baroque and Beserk". There are some real gems on there which have proved to be standard classics at gigs right up to this day, such as "How Does it Feel", "Another Day", Tom Tiddlers Ground" and "I Hate the White Man".

After that...goodness, you do know you really SHOULD download the whole back catalogue? We haven't even started on the 20 minutes long epics....lol (BTW, give Stormcock a good chance. There are three classics from the live sets on there....intricate, soaring and absorbing...I will let you guess which three you think those are....

3. pd

pd Slightly Desperate Staff Member

Welcome Mr Beeblebrox (or not... I misread your user name as Zaphod initially!)

Stormcock is definitely his finest work (in my opinion anyway) but you might need to work up to it... it's nowhere near as accessible as Sophisticated Beggar. Actually SB does still stand up very well and there's a certain style and approach to the lyrics on that album that is very distinctive. Kenny's advice on FB&B is good - it shows how Roy progressed in those early years once he had a proper studio and production values and the songs are amazing. I also have a very soft spot for Folkjokeopus from the early stuff and that might serve as a bridge... the first side is shorter songs and the second side is mainly one epic song. I love it.

I also really like live albums to help understand what an artist is all about and you can't go wrong with Flashes from the Archives of Oblivion if the same is true for you.

I envy you being at the start of the journey, there is so much to discover.

Oh yes, and a complete random one: if you really like the SB style, you'll also like the early archive stuff on "Today is Yesterday" - demos and singles from the early days.

Paul.

4. SHAUN I

SHAUN I It's so clear on the wings of the dawn

Hello Zaphod, if you love Sophisticated Beggar, then you'll probably love Roy's next couple of albums he released in his discography, namely Come Out Fighting Genghis Smith and Folkjokeopus!

A sophisticated progression..

5. Dr_Doom_The_Optimist

Dr_Doom_The_Optimist In a beautiful rambling mess

Put Stormcock to one side and work through them chronologically.

Jealous!
    +A

6. zaphox

zaphox I've got a zappy little nappy

Many thanks to all for the warm welcome and the great feedback. I will be promptly investing into Flat Baroque and Berserk, Come out Fighting, and Folkjokeopus. Can't wait to sink my teeth into them.

Paul - Yeah, Zaphox is a silly play on Zaphod Beeblebrox :biggrin:

7. Alan Cynic

Alan Cynic Computer stained fingers

Welcome, Zaphox... I would also suggest Folkjokeopus next, but they're all ace :)

8. Barry

Barry Computer stained fingers

All of them!
    Wait till you get your ears around Jugula, HQ, Bullinamingvase and Death or Glory, you have some real treats to look forward to.
    The live version of Me & my Woman on Flashes from the archives of Oblivion is amazing.
    Welcome to the world of Harper.