1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rare RH track!

Discussion in 'General' started by SHAUN I, Jan 3, 2009.

1. SHAUN I

SHAUN I It's so clear on the wings of the dawn

Not to go into too much detail, but a fellow Stormcocker very kindly sent me a CD of Roy live from 1982 recently, there is a track on it called Goodbye Ladybird. I have heard it before many years ago, but I've often wondered why it has never been on an album? Maybe it would be good to have some bonus tracks on the new awaited album e.g. Pan, Candide etc. Just for the die hard RH fans!

2. pd

pd Slightly Desperate Staff Member

It's a lovely track, isn't it (played on podcast 3 by the way). It was the B side of the single of "I Still Care" from the Work of Heart era. I'd love to see a proper CD release of this as well, the only copy I have is on a scratchy vinyl single.

3. dave w

dave w Computer stained fingers

and finally ?

I have the track on a vinyl bootleg LP called "a thin reflection spins".
    very little info on the cover apart from that it was recorded live in 1978 & 1979 and is a Kenelyessence/Snappuss producktion. The 1st track is listed as "Time to regail him" but is Goodbye Ladybird.
    Other tracks on the album are

Hallucinating Light
    Same old rock
    12 hrs of sunset

South africa
    The game
    Another Day

does anyone have any more info on this ?

4. Cardinal Doomsday

Cardinal Doomsday I've got a zappy little nappy

I also have a vinyl copy of thin reflection spins i think i possibly have a test pressing or a later copy copy.I have no idea of the source.I also have a white label lp with no cover again just a sticker that says "roy harper" and underneath "live" it has a matrix/run off number of rh1 and rh2 and seems to be a compilation of mid 80's stuff [mainly from around 1983 - 84 and contains:

One man rock and roll band [from stonehenge 84]
    a poor quality version of no woman is safe
    and hangman

me and my woman [from a small outside gig]
    and another day.

I got this from a dealer who said it was 500 limited copies and belive me it's not worth looking for it's on very poor thin vinyl and seems to be pressed in some country where they had just changed over from 78's.

I have heard this concert myself Shaun i got i think it was work of heart with two 7" singles included and one had goodbye ladybird on the b side.A very underated song in my opinion.

5. The Monster

The Monster I've got a zappy little nappy

Can anyone recall the name of the unreleased song Roy played on the 07 tour?

6. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

?

Was it an instrumental with Roy & Nick which got pulled off here rapidly as it hadn't been released? I seem to remember some hooha about it? Or was that Miles Remain?

andi :confused1:

7. The Monster

No, it wasn't instrumental, quite low key and wistful I recall

8. The Monster

It's come back to me - Man In The Moon....

Am I right in thinking he's never recorded it?

9. SHAUN I

SHAUN I It's so clear on the wings of the dawn

I've got an excellent 2CD set of Roy & Matt Churchill from a Tokyo concert (07) which has Pan and Man on the Moon on it, which again are both great songs, unavailable of course, but hopefully may surface this year.

10. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

Man in the Moon

Absolutely hauntingly beautiful track which he does sing wistfully and sums up all the lost passion of lonely dreamers of relationships out there to the point of tears. Especially where his voice goes high as though he is actually on a misty mountain singing to the moon. I've heard the Japanese recording of it but can't remember if I retained a copy. Pan is another subject but seems to be always linked to Man in the Moon contemporaneously. When he does sing it live [Clon 07] he does it with a self-deprecating smile on his face as though to emphasise the tongue-in-cheekiness about the very serious subject of propagation. Not sure if my ex-wife would have appreciated being in the audience though if I sang it?!

chrs
    andi :m2:

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009