1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reading matter

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by HarperPR, Jan 9, 2008.

1. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

A quarter of Brits apparently have not read a book in the past year and nearly half admit to lying about their reading to appear more intelligent (shocking!).

So what literary tomes are we all delving into? My last was Eric Clapton's autobiog just before Xmas.

2. critch

critch Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Currently reading "Reinforced Concrete Design to Eurocode 2". Excellent read, informative and compelling. NOT!

I've read recently, "Storms of Silence" - Joe Simpson, "The Gun Seller" - Hugh Laurie, and I'm just in the middle of "Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know" - Ranulph Fiennes.

3. pd

pd Slightly Desperate Staff Member

I've just finished the latest (and possibly last) Ian Rankin "Rebus" novel "Exit Music". I'm starting the second of Jim Butchers "Dresden Files" novels, then it's on to "The Last Wish" by Andrzej Sapkowski, translated into English (Polish author) which might sound highbrow but it's actually a magic/fantasy book I want to read as I'm playing the PC game based on the same works, "The Witcher".

In between times I dip into the Silmarillion from time to time (can't read it in one go) and also have the "Do Ants Have Arseholes" book that I was bought for xmas for reading in the bath/toilet...

4. dave w

dave w Computer stained fingers

recent reading

I recently read "Keep it together" a history of the Deviants & Pink Fairies.
    Not a bad read - a few errors let it down for me (i.e. the Bickershaw festival was in Lincolnshire - I don't think so).
    Also read the Russell Brand book, to see what the fuss was about.
    before xmas I got through a couple of collections of Phil K Dick short stories - I'd recommend them highly (Turning wheel was one of them)

White Bicylces by Joe Boyd is very readable as is Dazzling Stranger (about Bert Jansch but spanning most of the early 60s folk era) - there's quite a few interviews with that Roy Harper in there.

5. Shane

Shane Computer stained fingers

my reading went out the window a couple of years ago when i got broadband. i dont have regular access anymore though (outside work) and so im hoping to read a lot more this year.

Currently reading Uncle Tungsten by Oliver Sacks, the neurologist. Its his autobiography. i've read a load of brian aldiss books over the last year or so, i can't get enough of his books. Luckily he has dozens of them.

6. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

2007/8 reading matter

Can't beat for intellectual brainstorming across the whole spectrum of science / religion , everything :

What's your dangerous idea?
    John Brockman
    <edge.org>
    Afterword by D Hawkins

aw

7. SteveT

SteveT Gracing the Bahamas in see through pyjamas

Saul Bellow's The Victim at the moment. Soon to be followed by Earth Abides by George R Stewart. A friend has just passed this to me with his recommendation. Normally I would run a mile from anything that hints at being Science Fiction so if anyone knows anything about this bloke/book I'd be interested to hear it.

8. Travellerman

Travellerman Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

I am sad to say that I hardly have time to read at all these days (actually loads of, but used in other ways). That said the last was 'Typee' by Melville (Taipivai is about an hours drive from me now). Before that, it was Pamela Stephensons book about sailing to Samoa, not the best book, but as I was heading there too....

I guess 90% of what I read is travel related (surprisingly enough!) , sad to read of Eric Newby's death last year, I really liked his books.

9. SHAUN I

SHAUN I It's so clear on the wings of the dawn

Bookworm matter!

I agree with the findings I too dont read half as much as I should/would due to extended computer sit ins, however I have managed to read a few books in the last few weeks mainly due to a 3 week break over Xmas.
    I recently aquired "The Real Frank Zappa Book" by frank Zappa and Peter occhiogrosso, which I have duly mentioned in the off topic forum recently, an excellent read if you are among the initiated Zappa persuasion, also Zappa related I have recently finished Academy Zappa by Ben Watson a feted journey into conceptual continuity and everything you wanted to know about poodle matters.

Finally a must for all html lovers - html, xhtml and css 6th edition no less, by Elizabeth Castro, for all you webpage worshippers an absolute steal at £21.99...

10. scotpaulabear

scotpaulabear Halfway up my own guitar, propping up another bar

Finished "The Time Traveler's Wife" not that long ago and adored it - love the way it plays fast and loose with the notions of passing time and soulmates...

Just now, reading "Of Pies and Prejudice: In Search of the North" by the mighty Stuart Maconie, I love it but need more time to enjoy it!

Next up, probably the study of My Bloody Valentine's "Loveless" album I bought Big D for Christmas cos he's done with it. :biggrin:

11. Kenny_Wisdom

Kenny_Wisdom Computer stained fingers

It was "Hound Dog; The Elvis Story".

Well, that was just a lie. :biggrin:

Last book proper was "A Star Called Henry" by Roddy Doyle - absolutely adored it. It reads in one turn like complete blarney and in the next you suddenly feel that you are reading something of the same magnitude as Homer! It's an incredible piece of writing. I haven't read the sequel yet - this just left me too exhausted and in awe. It's set against the back drop of early twentieth century Ireland.

Have only picked up text books since.

12. pete c

pete c I've got a zappy little nappy

Roddy Doyle

I've read the sequel, Oh Play that Thing. It's set in America and features Louis Armstrong quite heavily, theres a lot of good stuff about racial attitudes. The Henry Smart stuff is meant to be a trilogy isn't it? Those books are great, it's time I read A Star Called Henry again.

My last book was Probably Mark Billingham, The Burning Girl. Read a few Rankins recently, John Peel's biography & the Nick Drake book by that bald bloke.

Stuart Maconie is ace too. I've read Cider with Roadies, not got round to "Pies" yet, though I'll obviously identify with it, it's set in my back yard. :)

My memory is getting really bad.....

13. fickle_Witch

fickle_Witch Guest

paula, loved loved loved time travellers wife!! i cried!

i have david copperfield, mind over mood and reinventing your life work books (that i am avoiding) something about keeping brackish fish, secrets of tantra, buddhist mother, 365 tao daily meditations (this one is expected to take a year ;) ), harry potter and chamber of secrets (with kids, i've read it before) and awakening to the tao.
    i read 2 books a week at the moment, sometimes i might read more, sometimes less, but i aim for 4 books a month.
    oh the joys of mania! lol

amor mundi

hatty :)

14. scotpaulabear

scotpaulabear Halfway up my own guitar, propping up another bar

Hiya Hatt! It's been too long :seeya:
    And I haven't read a book that got to me that much in AGES! What an amazing work...

15. Marcie

Marcie I've got a zappy little nappy

I'm not much of a reader, but the last book I really enjoyed was "Life of Pi" by Yann Martel. That is an extraordinary book and as an animal lover, I especially appreciated it.

I'm trying to get into Stephen King's "It" right now.. not having much luck due to a heavy work schedule and also getting ready for my other half's arrival this Sunday, from the UK.

16. fickle_Witch

fickle_Witch Guest

it was! i had started writing something when i read that and never went back to it, how could i compare!! lol have you read stephenie meyers books? quite brilliant for teenfic, espeshly if you like vampires!
    hope you are well my lovely, any chance of seeing you back down this way? i make a mean curry :p
    started reading the latest brian lumley one, the touch, last night as i couldnt find davy (that i since found this morning :angry: ) and tho i love brians work, found it a bit hard to get into.
    back to davy!!

amor mundi

17. fickle_Witch

fickle_Witch Guest

i read It and it took me longer than any other king novel! i dont think he could improve on salems lot tho for fear, i've never been so scared since reading that, alone in my flat, aged 17. i remember the door bell going and not being able to answer it as i was too scared to go into the hall!
    (why did i just admit to that?? :rofl:)
    his best book has to be running man, a book that didnt detract from the film or the other way around!

amor mundi

18. HarperPR

I tried The TT's Wife when it first came out as the theme appealed, but couldn't get it to it.

I'm interested in one I've seen called The Shakespeare Secret, but doubt I'll be reading anything bar online forums, press releases and file copy for the next few months!

19. HarperPR

Above should have read 'couldn't get into it'.

20. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

Reading matter review

Advertised recently, looks good...will try and precis the review when got more time

Sex, Science & Profits
    How people evolved to make money
    By Terence Kealey
    Heinemann £20 pp445