1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reading matter

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by HarperPR, Jan 9, 2008.

1. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

Mmm, yes, she is a good actress but book didn't appeal. I did read both of Sheila Hancock's, and the first in particular about her life with John Thaw was terribly moving.

Darryn Lyons is as wild as his name! A big Aussie with a shock of pink Mohican! (I said biog, it is in fact an auto one!) What you have to bear in mind that a fair proportion of papped shots are set up with the subject in advance. Often with their taking a cut, or at least having some control over when and where snapped in order to best suit them.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2008
  2. wobbly bob

wobbly bob I've got a zappy little nappy

yeah, i once saw a programme on telly with sheila hancock talking about her life with john thaw (possibly a plug for the book)-i would like to read that, too!

i think i've seen the guy with the mohican on tv... i'm kind of down on the whole fake celeb/pap thing altogether. i don't even know who most of these 'celebs' are, never mind what, if anything, they do to justify their 'celebrity' status. i just find the whole thing rather naff..and really, really sad! but there you go...that's just me, i guess..

3. HarperPR

Didn't think I'd have time for reading, but have got engrossed in Franny Moyle's Desperate Romantics, which is an account of the lives of the Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood, and been propping my eyes open at 3am to dip into it. Intriguing stuff. Have loved that art form for many many years.

4. Travellerman

Travellerman Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

The last book I read was my friends :biggrin: (he even aknowledged me in the intro', a nice gesture).

Tales from the road, and of internal paradigm shifts as a result of an experience at a Peruvian shamanic ceremony (or was he now simply seeing the world for how it really was...?)

http://www.lulu.com/content/4260227

5. SHAUN I

SHAUN I It's so clear on the wings of the dawn

Just a little light reading then Steve! :biggrin:

6. Travellerman

I thought it was :biggrin:

7. pete c

pete c I've got a zappy little nappy

Robert Newman "The Fountain at the Centre of the world"

Our Hidden Lives - The Diaries of Post War Britain"

both very good indded.

8. wobbly bob

i prefer them paintings of chubby redheads, myself!

i've just started jools holland's autobiography... so far, so good! that's not the title, btw...

9. HarperPR

Well, the PRB were noted for their red-haired 'stunners'!

This book was a JGR (Jolly Good Read). One amusing anecdote in it was that when they set up a studio together and put 'PRB' on the doorbell, they said that the initiated would know what it stood for while those who didn't thought it would simply be ' Please Ring Bell'. Later, a friend of Walter Deverell, one of the artists and a bit of a sex-god, commented that for him PRB stood for 'Penis Rather Better'!

:biggrin:

Have now gone onto 'The Sisters who would be Queen: The Tragedy Of Mary, Katherine & Lady Jane Grey'.

10. wobbly bob

many laughs in it?

11. SHAUN I

I'm currently reading a book a friend gave me called Academy Zappa, Proceedings of the First International Conference of Esemplastic Zappology! Quite a good read so far.. :conehead: :sifone:

12. Travellerman

Just a little light reading then Shaun! :biggrin: :wink:

13. bigchris

bigchris Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Good Sports Reading !!

Well I haven't bought the Sports news paper for years ( It does really have some good sports pages !! ) .... in fact I haven't bought ANY newspaper for yonks ... but today I wanted to buy a copy of something to see if anyone could make their write-up of Barnsley's boring match on Saturday any way interesting ! I could have picked any newspaper ... but something drew me to the Sunday Sport ...

[ NOTE : Do NOT read this, if you are easily offended !!!! ]

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/ypT7OaNHvKlR1pKEWe2XtA?feat=directlink

14. scotpaulabear

scotpaulabear Halfway up my own guitar, propping up another bar

No comment :D

Last edited: Feb 23, 2009
  15. Travellerman

Aha... my current reading material and a gift from a cousin "What color is your parachute?"

16. SHAUN I

It's pretty amazing Steve, I'm on a chapter called "Xenoarrangements or Insane Hard-Core Fanatic Not Inclined To Come Out Of his Own Monomaniacal World" Discussing the musical techniques of Zappa, Xenochrony, but this time with guitar solo's and not drum rythm's :biggrin: No wonder some people think I'm on another planet when I say I'm into Roy Harper & Frank Zappa!

Normal People Worry Me...:sifone:

17. HarperPR

It's real life, mate...ain't a lot of laughs in history...plenty of sex and intrigue though!:biggrin:

18. Travellerman

Wish my 'real life' was like that :D

19. wobbly bob

plenty of sex would be good. i'll pass on the intrigue, though...

20. wobbly bob