1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reading matter

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by HarperPR, Jan 9, 2008.

1. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

A book for cat lovers - and especially owners!

http://www.tom-cox.com/

And click on his Blogs and read The Little Cat Diaries.

2. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

Cat joke

A very well behaved cat died and God said that because he had been so good on Earth he could have a wish come true in Heaven. The cat asked for a nice big fluffy pillow and it duly arrived.

Six mice were similarly pious throughout their life spans living humbly under the floorboards of a monastery and when they died God asked them if they had any wishes to reward them.

They all asked for rollerskates to have fun in Heaven.

God some time later went back to the cat and asked if he was enjoying the big fluffy pillow. He said " The pillow was amazing and was really pleased with the recent supply of delicious meals on wheels as a bonus".

c/a:biggrin:

Last edited: Jun 8, 2009
  3. pete c

pete c I've got a zappy little nappy

cats are evil.

4. HarperPR

Anyone read Mark Everett's book Things The Grandchildren Should Know?

Any good? Has been recommended to me so may hunt it down. It sounds daaarrk!

5. Travellerman

Travellerman Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Current reading: A ride to Khiva: Travels and Adventures in Central Asia - Frederick Gustavus Burnaby

6. Shane

Shane Computer stained fingers

does anyone else use goodreads? I dont use it for social networking so much as keeping a nerdish list of all the books im reading.

7. aspwatterson

Saturday's The Times today 14/11/09

Probably on The Times on line by now, don't know haven't checked...
    article in the Saturday Review supplement The 100 best books of the decade featured/listed.

c/a

8. HarperPR

And I bet there's not one piece of chick lit in that list!:biggrin: Sometimes you just want an easy read, not all highbrow stuff. That said, currently reading (at 3am and beyond) Confessions of a Reluctant Recessionista by Amy Silver.

9. wobbly bob

wobbly bob I've got a zappy little nappy

yes, and yes! brilliant book. read it in 2 goes, which is a record for me, as i'm not a big reader. in fact, if i hadn't started reading it late in the day, i reckon i'd have done it in one go!

10. pete c

I'm reading it now. As a longtime EELS fan I already knew E's family history, and dark it is indeed. But all that is lightened by his eternal determination to, and I paraphrase, do what he loves or die. The full story of how he got, and lost, record deals, and some of the characters involved makes a great read. I didn't know that hearing Portishead for the first time steered him towards his "new sound" which resulted in Novocaine, Susan's House etc. I remember hearing "Novocaine" when it came out and thinking just how different it sounded at the time.

Sad but great.

11. HarperPR

I started it on the weekend too! Let's have a book club.:D My friend told me there was 'lots of deaths' and darkness in it and when you read the opening paragraphs - phew! But there's lightness too and Everett puts it together well.

12. pete c

Just finished it. It's not the biggest book in the world but it really drew me in. Fair play to the guy, it's a great read & really touching.

Guess I don't need to send you my copy then as I was going to, if you've got your own...

13. SHAUN I

SHAUN I It's so clear on the wings of the dawn

Things The Grandchildren Should Know?

Cheers for the recommendations, I will try to track it down too!

I'm currently reading a book called HEAT by Bill Buford (Not Bruford): "An amateur's adventures as kitchen slave, line cook, pasta maker and apprentice to a butcher in Tuscany" Great reading, no darkness in this one as yet though! :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2009
  14. Shane

Shane Computer stained fingers

I read Bill Bruford's Autobiography last week, its excellent, one of the better music books ive read. As well as entertaining anecdotes about various musicians he has worked with it has interesting insights in to the music business, life on the road, technology and stuff. Theres also an amusing paragraph about roy harper.

15. HarperPR

My next read:

http://www.lep.co.uk/bookreviews/Coming-Home--Melanie-Rose.5965528.jp

But over Xmas, and in a completely different vein, read Tracy Borman's Elizabeth's Women about the women surrounding the Virgin Queen. A good read.

I did wonder whether her secretary might be an ancestor of someone here! She locked him in the Tower for issuing the death warrant for Mary Queen of Scots before allegedly having given the order. His name? William Davison.

16. pete c

Read loads of good books lately, thanks to my lovely sister and equally lovely charity shops...

some of them:

Romanitas / Rome Burning by Sophia McDougall: Imagine if the Roman Empire were still the superforce, these are the first two books in a trilogy, reviews on amazon are mixed but I really enjoyed these big books.

White Bicycles by William Boyd : This man has lived! Starting with the jazz era and first Newport festivals, through some intriguing memories of Pink Floyd, Nick Drake, Fairport & Incredible String Band. Rightly regarded as a classic music book.

44 Scotland Street by Alexander McCall Smith : The author of The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency Series writing about life in and around a tenement block in Edinburgh. Four books so far with a fifth to follow, made up of stories previously printed in daily instalments in The Scotsman. A host of characters, all with their own endearing (or otherwise) foibles and personality traits, laced through with McCall Smith's intense intelligence and wisdom. Just finished the 4th book and I'm missing them already.

All highly recommended. Maybe I should get out more.....

Love
    Pete

17. aspwatterson

Anyone?

Someone recommended I read The end of Mr Y? Anyone else read it?

andi

18. SteveT

SteveT Gracing the Bahamas in see through pyjamas

I've just finished Nick Hornby's Juliet, Naked. It got me wondering who the "Duncan Thomson" of Stormcock is.

:wink: :D

19. HarperPR

Anyone not watching Cameroon v Netherlands next Thursday 24, may be interested in BBC4 9pm where they are showing Mark Everett's Parallel Worlds, Parallel Lives again. Well worth a view.

20. HarperPR

Nick would have made a good subject for this - especially as the author is the wife of Dylan Howe!
    http://bit.ly/9Nif85