1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reading matter

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by HarperPR, Jan 9, 2008.

1. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

Going through a book called Richard by Ben Myers, which is a fictionalised account of the life of the Manics' Richey Edwards.

His disappearance has always been of interest to me, along with the 'sightings' that crop up every so often like with the Lucan case, and I was keen to see how Myers would go about it. What he has done is mix a first person narrative with a third person viewpoint of events. As he is also a poet, the writing style takes a more visionary stance so you can read it as a work of literature without being a Manics fan necessarily.

One funny paragraph, which may not please Levellers fans, has Nicky Wire having a pop at Edwards when seeing him having a spliff:
    "He shakes his head.
    - If it was smack I wouldn't mind. At least some great songs were written about smack. But weed? It'll rot your brain. Turn you into a Levellers fan."

2. Barry

Barry Computer stained fingers

Just started reading James Lee Burke, Cadillac Jukebox I really enjoyed.

3. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

4. aspwatterson

5. aspwatterson

My two fav books of all time!

My two favourite books with pics of all time! What's yours?

Attached Files:

6. SHAUN I

SHAUN I It's so clear on the wings of the dawn

I have two books on the go at the moment, the first is Freak Out! My Life with Frank Zappa, by Pauline Butcher, the second is a signed copy of Beefheart Through the Eyes of Magic, written by ex-Beefheart drummer John "Drumbo" French, both are actually very hard to put down.

[​IMG]

The Magic Band are playing at The Continental next month, in my home town of Preston, last time I was there was to see Nick. Drumbo sings the Captain's vocals these days, and I must say, he does a brilliant job!

[youtube]JxON-4ekqW4[/youtube]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2012
  7. Uriel

Uriel I've got a zappy little nappy

Last novel I've read is Incompetence by Rob Grant. I can't remember laughing so much and so regularly at a book.