1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RH GIG: ITV Legends, Metropolis Studios London, April 2.

Discussion in 'On Tour' started by pd, Jan 14, 2011.

1. bigchris

bigchris Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Well you'll spot the Northern Cockers ( including me - though not lived up north for 20 years ) complaining about the price of the beer in the pub - in 2011 the average price for a pint is £3.06 but in the Roebuck their average is £4.12 !!!

2. SteveT

SteveT Gracing the Bahamas in see through pyjamas

In that case I'll be the slumped outside with a few cans of Special Brew. :wink:

3. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

Heard Roy is playing the Albert Hall - fact or rumour?

4. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

Well..

Well I'll be Victoria if it makes you feel better...!?

A

5. bigchris

Set List from Saturday Night

Set 1

One Man Rock and Roll Band
    North Country
    Don't You Grieve
    12 Hours of Sunset
    Another Day
    Pinches of Salt
    Highway Blues

Set 2

Commune
    Hallucinating Light
    Frozen Moments
    Green Man
    Me and My Woman
    Cricketer

6. SteveT

Bloody hell that was hot in there - but who cares? Thouroughly enjoyable evening. Now we can start planning for the RFH!

7. SHAUN I

SHAUN I It's so clear on the wings of the dawn

Great setlist, great gig, and a supremely polished performance from Roy, he was on fire last night. When I spoke to him at the end, he said he thought he was better in the first half, but I thought the second half was a really fluent set, and as usual, emotionally speaking, he really bared his arse on stage. Don't You Grieve, Highway Blues, Hallucinating Light, Me & My Woman and Cricketer were real stand outs for me. Bit hot and crowded, but a brilliant atmosphere and really nice to meet Paul and Vicky, Tracy, Andy, Colin, Ian, Steve, Sandy, Darren, etc. for the first time, and see the regular faces too. A really special kind of night,

It was also nice to ramble to Roy for a while :biggrin: and what a gent, personally meeting & speaking to everyone that stayed at the end, looking forward to November now and the RFH.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2011
  8. Colin L

Colin L Computer stained fingers

Yes great night, good meeting quite a lot of you for the first time. I'm quite reserved as you all probably saw. We (Steve, Paul and I) survived the night at the Hotel and had a nice walk along the Thames towards Hammersmith.

Looking forward to the RFH - I will bring Joy and stay somewhere a bit (lot) more upmarket.

9. Sandie

Sandie Computer stained fingers

Wow!! What a night!!! I briefly spoke to Roy at the meet and greet, but I really was too exhausted to sit down and chat, and afterwards when asked what we'd said, my mind went temporarily blank - I've remembered now!! Roy asked me how I was, and I paused to ask myself, and I discovered that I was OK!!!:) True to form, Roy was concerned about not being as on form as he'd have been if he'd been gigging regularly, and despite my saying it had been a wonderful night, he said that he wondered how it would come across on TV - I said it'd be like a Roy Harper concert!!! I then got chatting to the person who'd been sitting by Roy who sat next to me in the 2nd half about alternative healing for physical pain!!

Can't wait to see it on the box!!!

10. SteveT

I was musing yesterday on whether I could remember a Roy gig when he hadn't suggested in some way that it may not have been up to scratch. We all notice the occasional fluffs but I don't for one minute think that anyone, apart from Roy, worries about it.

11. aspwatterson

Double-edged Roy

It's nice to be a lunatic
    Not nice to be a perfectionist!

Andi

12. pd

pd Slightly Desperate Staff Member

Just my 2p worth, now that the dust has settled a little (I was very sleepy for most of yesterday!). It was a great weekend in general, starting with the gathering at the Roebuck - I was very pleased to meet up with Darren Crisp again after such a long time, and of course everyone that came along to the pub meet. The event itself was very unusual really, starting with a very professional "meet and greet" by the compère leading to the free bar. We decided to go for the little room that overlooked the stage rather than the general pell-mell of the studio floor which was a good move in terms of comfort and actually getting a seat, but perhaps lacking in atmosphere a bit.

Roy played well. He lost his way a little at the start of the second set but managed to resolve that, and Me and My Woman later in the second half was particularly lovely. It was interesting to watch the cameramen at work as well. Those that were seated in the front row will, I guess, be used for audience reaction shots. One thing that was very clear to everyone was how much Roy was enjoying playing live and interacting with the crowd. I don't think he's ready for retirement yet :) And, as has already been mentioned, he said that they are trying to arrange a November 5th gig at the Royal Festival Hall in London. Hopefully this'll be confirmed soon.

He did directly comment on the ticket price by saying that this was the first time for him that a filmed gig had been funded by the audience, and that everyone's ticket price was basically paying for the venue, the cameramen, and everything else. He said that he knew it was a very large amount of money and that he was extremely grateful for people putting their hands in their pockets and making the event happen.

After the show was over, we trotted back to the free bar. Everyone I spoke to loved the concert and very many people said how strong his voice still is, and that the guitar playing was still very much up to scratch. After a while Roy appeared, after a few minutes doing an interview elsewhere for the camera, and started the process of "meet and greet" with everyone that wanted to stay for that. A good many did; I am not sure but I suspect this process went on for 90-120 minutes and he was looking very exhausted by the end of it but made sure everyone went away happy. I got accosted by the film crew and spouted some gibberish on camera about how the gig went etc. Goodness knows if they'll use any of it but the interviewer did say "you've given us some really good stuff to cut-in, thanks" so maybe. The best bit was that they interviewed Vicky (my wife) as well, who basically, when asked how long she'd been following Roy, said something along the lines of that she had been brought along by her husband. Maybe they won't be using that bit, or it'll be on the outtakes :)

Thanks again to everyone I met and especially ASPW who managed to find me a glass of wine after I thought the bar had run dry :p

Paul.

13. Kenny_Wisdom

Kenny_Wisdom Computer stained fingers

There is not much to add to previous comments regarding the set and Roy’s performance to that which has already been said – from me, no complaints whatsoever. Sound was superb and Roy’s voice and guitar playing really strong.

It was nice to see Chiswick and be in a part of London outside the normal tourist route for a change, where locals were going about their daily business and combined with the cracking April sunshine it was really pleasant to stroll along the high street, taking in the atmosphere.

The venue was tight and extremely hot but then De Barras is no festival hall either! However, it was a privilege to be part of, and yes, I have never paid so much for two gig tickets before in my life, nor am I likely to do so again, but I weighed up the gains and the losses, and gave caution the shove...

If anyone knows who the promoter (Mike Reid look-alike) was, I would like to extend some personal thanks to him for looking after my wife and I so well. Sue has difficulty with stairs and standing for prolonged periods, and it wasn’t just a ruse to get to the front of the queue or to nab a seat, but when he found out he went out of his way to look out for us and make sure Sue was safe, as well as being a nice chap to boot. Going the extra mile made for a truly memorable experience and knowing that it has been captured for posterity makes it more so. I hope that the DVD at least tries to capture the complete set, even if the official “to be aired” version will be, I suspect, heavily truncated.

Hope to see you all in November. Remember, remember, and all that...

14. bigchris

According to Johnny F. ( the guy doing the mixing ) the official release will be limited to 60 minutes !!

15. NoCelebrity

NoCelebrity Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Happy you're all Happy

Just had to post I've been tremendously envious of you all across the pond with your intimate evening! Glad it all went well and especially glad my latest MAC will play your "odd" British format so I can re-live your experience vicariously.

Sorry still I haven't been posting much lately, but I am caught up with the latest podcast. And I have to come up with a new icon (excuses, excuses...).

I know, why don't you all come to Chicago and maybe Roy can set up a special gig here so I can help celebrate Roy's big birthday?:wink:

pd- I'm sure you'll be getting follow-up interviews from the media after your appearance on the "Legends" DVD. Of course, Vicky will be the real highlight!

16. aspwatterson

17. redbear78

redbear78 I've got a zappy little nappy

Metropolis Studios

I told Roy it was the best night of my life and :biggrin:it truly was!! Am really worried though as I cant remember what I said on camera when they interviewed me about the gig:blushing: ...how embarrassing. I tried so hard to be articulate but think I just waffled on about a load of old cobbs to Roy as I was just so excited and it was all too overwhelming!!!

Actually, it is quite cathartic to get that off my chest now..thanks:grouphug:

18. scotpaulabear

scotpaulabear Halfway up my own guitar, propping up another bar

Welcome Redbear! It's fab what an amazing night you all had! :biggrin: May very well see you in November, well it IS a weekend after all :wink:

19. Sandie

Sandie Computer stained fingers

20. Kenny_Wisdom

Kenny_Wisdom Computer stained fingers

Photo's from Metropolis official site are up now - follow the link. Apparently the download is available only until 12th May.

It's in .RAR format.

http://bit.ly/royharperphotos