1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roy appears in BBC4's Festival Britannia documentary

Discussion in 'General' started by tharper, Dec 14, 2010.

1. tharper

tharper She's The One

2. SHAUN I

SHAUN I It's so clear on the wings of the dawn

I'll make sure I book my spot in front of the telly for Friday night, thanks for the advanced info Tracy!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2010
  3. tharper

tharper She's The One

i guess someone will have to tell us how it went. there's a technical fault on sky's BBC4 channel here in ireland and it's 'not available in our area' online...

:-(

4. philmch

philmch I've got a zappy little nappy

Just watched it and really enjoyed it. Great to see it finally proven that Steve Hillage played with Sham 69 at Reading. :biggrin:

5. SHAUN I

SHAUN I It's so clear on the wings of the dawn

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2010
  6. Travellerman

Travellerman Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Thanks for the link, I don't get BBC4 :D

7. DJ Burnham

DJ Burnham I've got a zappy little nappy

Middle of winter

Brilliant program, didn't concentrate too much on recent years but gathered some great footage from 1956 (cool dudes with giant specs and grooving beat chicks); footage of Roy on stage at Hyde Park – never seen that before, brilliant; Isle of Wight, and then on to the first Glasto'; (then ... Bickershaw was it? Apparently put together by Jeremy Beadle but I might have hallucinated that one); free festivals; Stonehenge (glad I went a couple of times) and on to rave culture etc.

It was very well-balanced: neither presenting an 'all festies are fab' nor 'dirty hippies trashing countryside' stance, from halcyon starts to the still-harrowingly disturbing Battle of the Beanfield. The spread of music was excellent and the breadth of interviews (both specially filmed and clips) was superb.

Roy was given plenty of air time and his contribution was spot-on, have to say that he looked splendidly hale 'n hearty (his wonderfully dapper self) and one can only hope that the program makers will recognise the need for a dedicated biodoc' in his own right.

All in all one of the best things I've seen on festivals for some long time and a tonic to the current cold freeze in the middle of winter.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2010