1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roy: Archive meanderings

Discussion in 'General' started by HarperPR, Dec 19, 2007.

1. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

Glad you all enjoyed the promo booklet.

Have been looking back in my files to see what else I might have. These were two, which I feel that Paul may already have archived somewhere, but if not, I have 'em!

The first is an NME interview by Angie Errigo from February 1977. This is largely about Bullinamingvase, and also contains an insert 'Avon Calling' open letter from Roy.

The second, and quite interesting, is an interview from ZigZag fringe magazine, May 1977, again focusing on Bullinamingvase. In particular there is this quote. I wonder if Roy has, in the intervening years, said 'what it's all about'?

"Well, the first song on the first side is just an ad generally for the album, and an ad for the song on the other side. If you come to me in a few years time I'll tell you what it's all about, but other than that you can go away, listen to it, and try to decide what you think it's about. It's fairly easy, but it's not anything I want to give away to the press. It's something I can't tell the press at the moment. It seems like an ineffectual, nice, kind little song that Radio One would be really pleased with, but if you go away and listen to it, you might get a little more out of it than the average housewife. That's what I'm saying, but I'm not going to say anymore than that."

Last edited: Dec 19, 2007
  2. Bob Jacobs

Bob Jacobs Ride away in style

Very mysterious! I must go back and listen to it again. Thanks for the pointer.

Bob

3. LAdrain

LAdrain I've got a zappy little nappy

I have a few of his letters that used to get posted many years ago?
    I will have a look and draw up a list.

4. pd

pd Slightly Desperate Staff Member

Very good idea LAdrain, it'd be wonderful to have an archive of those (the H.I.S. newsletter if I remember correctly). I have quite a lot of them somewhere in the house, goodness knows where though.

5. LAdrain

That's correct, and in those days they photocopied Roy's hand written letters and they were send out by H.I.S. (Acorn Entertainments). H.I.S. was an agency that handled :- Roy, Harvey Andrews, Martin Carthy, The Deighton Family, Mike Elliott, Vin Garbutt, Mad Jocks and Englishmen, Maxie and Mitch, The Strawbs, Jake Thackray, Linds Thompson, The Steve Miller Band, Alan Hull, Maddy Prior and Rick Kemp.
    It used to cost £2 per year for all of Roy's newsletters and gig guides and the odd publicity photo.

I have lots of these newsletters along with ZigZag and all the Hors D'Oeuvres from issue 3 to the last one. I also have a Peter Cunliffe article from 1987. I think it is from Record Collector. An article from Guitarist July 1990 titled "Cat on his fourth life" interview by Keith Brindley.

Not sure how you go about getting permission to use these, but I will draw up a list.

6. pd

pd Slightly Desperate Staff Member

I'll see if he's OK with us putting up the old newsletters on the site in scanned in form. Pete C had a Hors D'Oeuvres web site at one point with a lot of stuff on there - is that still active Pete?

7. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

Promotional Books RH

I think we've got two threads [is that the right word?] going here with PD discussing the above as a Blog and now similarly on a Forum. Can one link the two as a link or is that possible? Don't worry Paul you don't have to do it... just like keeping you busy and on your toes coz I know you've got nothing else to do!:biggrin:

My other motive is trying to selfishly upgrade from a Captain Kirk spliff roller to the next level before my wife reads it and thinks I've become that perpetual Hippie again! I'm not a Hippie, I'm a Huppie, an upwardly mobile Hippie! And it's not a second childhood but a continuing one!

chrs
    aw:gnorsi:

8. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

To refer back to LAdrain's previous post, I thought HIS was just Harper Information Service that Darren operated the info out of? I didn't know it was an agency, although D may have been involved with the other artists named.

9. LAdrain

I don't think Darren was involved in the early days when it was part of Acorn and they covered other artists, if I recall it was Jim and Rita in Preston who ran H.I.S??
    Darren took it over near the end.

10. pete c

pete c I've got a zappy little nappy

Last edited: Jan 6, 2008
  11. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

His

The web site for Roy's stuff is mentioned on the ol'Mistlethrush luddite email
    site

aw