1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roy at Clonakilty Guitar Festival Thurs 15 Sept 2011 :)

Discussion in 'On Tour' started by scotpaulabear, Jul 18, 2011.

1. bigchris

bigchris Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Well I've been to some of the workshops in the past ... and I've never taken a guitar ... because I don't play and haven't got one ( well I have, but it's got a big hole in it, where a big hole shouldn't be ) ... obviously if you have one ( or borrow one ) then you could join in with the classes if you wanted to. But apart from those ... no guitar is really needed ... unless of course, you want to do any gigging/busking ?!?

Well that's a shame ... it's a real good laugh and most of the music is free ! Though saying that, I would recommend the "Acoustic Forum" on the Friday evening ( 8 euros ) ... it's a good way ( for us ) to see some of the main acts of the weekend, in one place.

If you are/were a fan of John Martyn, then I would highly recommend you see Gareth Forsyth at 10:30am on the Friday ( though not sure I'll be there at that unsociable hour ) ... he can sound just like John did ... and in fact was asked by John to support him on his next tour, alas though that tragically never never occured.

2. Sandie

Sandie Computer stained fingers

I was wondering how on earth to get a guitar on a Ryanair flight - have a lovely Taylor travelling guitar, but Ryanair isn't exactly people friendly, so I thin I'll give it a miss - wasn't remotely considering performing, LOL. Ooooh, Gareth Forsyth sounds great, thans for the tip - if you want to go, I can do alcohol policing of you on Thursday,but I might be a bit of a tyrant, LOL!!

I rather fancied going to something that Richard Gilewitz is doing. I thin I'm going to need a holiday when I get home, LOL!!!

3. Shane

Shane Computer stained fingers

Did you attend Roy's guitar workshop a few years back? It was very interesting but you wouldn't have learned much about guitar playing

4. scotpaulabear

scotpaulabear Halfway up my own guitar, propping up another bar

Nick's was similar - he wasn't really giving a lesson, more sharing stories and moral support :biggrin:

5. bigchris

No strangely enough ( not sure why ) but that was the only Clonakilty Guitar festival I missed ( the first one ) !!

6. bigchris

I'm still a bit hazy after last nights gig ( or maybe it was the lock in until 4:00am ) and the fact that amazingly I got up at 10 this morning to see Gareth Forsyth .... but anyway, just to some up Roy's gig ..... "Brilliant !!"

Shane ( assuming you read this, before you get home ) - Were you there ? Are you still here ? Not sure what you look like ?!? We'll be in Shannleys this afternoon from 4:00pm for Eric Bell ... just look out for the tallest guy in Clon ... and that's probably me !!

7. Shane

Shane Computer stained fingers

Were you the 6'8" guy roy slagged for sitting right up in the middle of the front row? I'm 6'4" and dont like short people expecting me to stay at the back with the talkers. Didn't see your message til now, I left town early on friday and went out to the Sheep's Head for the weekend.

The gig was superb, up there with the best of his gigs that I've seen (I'm a bit of a latecomer, first gig in 1996). Setlist was

Commune
    Don't You Grieve
    Another Day
    White Man
    Frozen Moment
    Highway Blues
    North Country
    Hallucinating Light
    You Don't Need Money
    Me & My Woman
    Cricketer
    Green Man
    12 Hours of Sunset

I think thats right anyway.

8. Sandie

What a great Roy gig!!! T'was truly amazing!!!

Despite getting home Saturday night, I'm still totally wiped out from doing too much - can quite get used to Jamesons methinls!!! LOL!!!!

9. bigchris

I was that 6'8" person ... but I think you missed the joke !! Roy did not slag us off, he in fact thanked us for sitting towards the side of the room !!

10. SteveT

SteveT Gracing the Bahamas in see through pyjamas

That's the way I understood it too Chris.

11. Sandie

I also heard Roy than the two 6'5" tall men for letting everyone see. Chris just wanted us to know that he's taller than 6'5!!!! For the record I'm 5'1 1/2", and woe :blushing:betide anyone who says I'm 5'1", or 5'2"!!!!!!

12. scotpaulabear

I'm 5'2 3/4" so I make everyone say 5'3" ;)

13. Sandie

LOL - that's cheating, Paula!!!! Hope to see you in November.

14. scotpaulabear

Well I never got a ticket for Saturday so will you be coming Friday to see Nick? :biggrin:

15. Sandie

Paula - hopefully you'll be able to get a ticket nearer the time. Anyway, I'll see you at Nick's gig!!!:biggrin: