1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roy at De Barras Clonakilty 11th August 2013

Discussion in 'On Tour' started by ColinP, Jul 17, 2013.

1. ColinP

ColinP I've got a zappy little nappy

2. bigchris

bigchris Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

3. ColinP

Great stuff, I'll be in Clon for a couple of days

4. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

Unfortun..

Unfortunately Ian Cropton not well so have arranged alternative travel.

He particularly wanted to send his regards to Roy and Tracey.

If you know him and his contact details you could send him a get well?

Chrs
    Andi

5. bigchris

Andi - the gig is now sold out, so if you have a spare ticket; I don't think you'll have much trouble flogging it !!

6. ColinP

I've got a spare ticket if anybody needs one

7. bigchris

If no one wants it on here - then I would suggest you tell DeBarras ( via facebook ) that you will be bringing a spare - they could then let anyone else know who turns up on the day !

8. ColinP

Will pop round tomorrow and let them know

9. aspwatterson

Last night

Last night in the hotel was a riot of a rave and amazed no one stood on my flipflopped toes! People collapsing, being sick, fighting...unbelievable! Surely nothing beats the Irish for enjoying themselves!

DeBarras wouldn't refund Ian's ticket but said there must surely people wanting it tonight with a sellout. Saw Shaun and Steve at brekie but no sign of the slumbering giants Chris & Paul!

Think they're meeting lunchtime at the Brewery pub down end of main street westwards....

Andi

http://www.irishexaminer.com/lifest...pular-venue-for-music-enthusiasts-239276.html

Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
  10. aspwatterson

Preview of a review...

I love you Ireland! You are all around me! You can go there and relive your lost teenage drinking years! Funny enough, it's regarded normal and feels like home with the wonderful Irish hospitality.

I suppose Nature needs some form of escapism occasionally...releasing a valve in the brain cells or something? But needs recouperation in the morn!

Respected musicians who strut their stuff are usually eloquent communicators and they somehow make it look so easy. Just their presence in a room radiates something. On stage they can enrapture almost hypnotically baring their souls through their songs.

Roy Harper is an exemplar of this. It's as though he's letting you into his private world personally to you; even if you've never met the geyser or heard his music before. And it's deep stuff....almost religious about not being religious...pure openmindedness I would call it.

It's almost 40 years since I first heard of Roy as my elder sister started raving about sitting at his feet at a Hyde Park festy singing 'I hate the white man'. Perhaps he had conquered his body odour? There's quite a famous picture of him sniffing his arms archived...

As a quasi-musician/poet I would be absolutely honoured to call myself a failed Roy Harper.Since the Sixties he has been one of the most profound influences on my life.. he manages to pull all the multifarious strands together by his integrity of questioning honestly. And no subject barred from this human experience.

The lights go down....the lights go up..and suddenly Roy is there! Sniffing the atmosphere and skipping onto the stage like a young gazelle belying the years of his wonderful borrowed longeavity. The advancing years have etched a visage of loving comfort in his face. Every wrinkle depicts his life's journey as a remnant of his emotional rollercoaster. Compassion is prevalent. Immaculately dressed like his wardrobe of past lyrics.

The guy has seen a lot more than most and that's when the witty whimsicality of him and his lyrics kicks in. To see yourself in satire as a myth in something that people call a reality check.

He might be quite famous but he's still tangible with his feet firmly on the ground of human companionship. He might think we are just a vast crowd of sheep in sheep's clothing but he feels the need to commune with us all...additionally inspired by a whole panopoly of past poets, authors, musicians, philosophers etc etc

I think once you've been to visionary places in your head you're never the same. Bit like falling in and out of love I suppose? You are either a philosopher or you are not. If you doubt it, you are probably not... but you could still be the next teacher of mankind on how to live reciprocally in this temporary place on a transient planet spinning gently on through the Universe man/woman.

Thus a latent Roy Harper maybe in everyone methinks? You can aspire to understand his latest wisdom/vision on a new album shortly to be released on Bella Union called Man & Myth.

But who knows where Roy's mind goes? I'm jealous! That's why it's imperative I buy the album because the guy is quite simply sympathetically amazing on a universal scale of the unknown and the known man/woman!. Please all of you maintain the loving spontaneity of the joy of living and sharing in paradise during the dwindling years. Thanks Roy..laters...

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  11. Shane

Shane Computer stained fingers

Great to hear a few new songs last night, all three sounded good alongside the older favorites. Set list was...

Highway Blues
    Legend
    South Africa
    The Enemy
    North Country
    One Man Rock & Roll Band
    The Stranger
    Hallucinating Light
    Me & My Woman
    Cricketer
    January Man

I got a fright when I arrived and found the queue already backed out the door and down the street, but managed to get a decent seat all the same.

12. ColinP

We were in position at 5 o'clock :biggrin:

Watching Roy from 5 feet away in the front row in a perfect venue is impossible to explain, so I won't even try. It was wonderful.

13. SteveT

SteveT Gracing the Bahamas in see through pyjamas

Especially in such great company ;-) Nice to meet you Colin. I've just landed at Heathrow and I got more slieep on that flight than in three nights in Clon!

14. bigchris

Yeah know what you mean Steve - I've got a dentist appointment at 3:00pm and I'm seriously worried, that when I lay back on his seat ... I might nod off !!

15. aspwatterson

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  16. SteveT

SteveT Gracing the Bahamas in see through pyjamas

More Roy

Two more snaps.

Attached Files:

17. SHAUN I

SHAUN I It's so clear on the wings of the dawn

Absolutely fantastic gig, cracking beer and company, and great to hear the new songs, The Enemy, The Stranger (Candide) and January Man among the old favourites. Nice to see the usual gathering of stormcockers again, and also good to meet Colin P. It was my first time in Clon, a very short trip, but definitely wont be my last!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. ratsateit

ratsateit I've got a zappy little nappy

sorry not having met anyone of you, but still enjoyed the gig very much (as well as the 9 days holiday in SW Ireland that surrounded it).
    we started queuing quarter to seven so were glad to get what seemed to be the last two seats in the back. but still perfect view and sound.

part of the setlist was well-known from his concerts in 2012 (Cambridge) and 2011 (London), but the 3 new ones were NEW (i especially liked the January Man) and Legend just blew me away. my wife had been a bit sceptical, but the song and the rendition convinced her about Roy's qualities.

cheers from Munich
    Rolf

19. Shane

Shane Computer stained fingers

Nice review of this gig in The Wire this month

[​IMG]