1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roy at Festival Hall

Discussion in 'On Tour' started by The Monster, Mar 29, 2010.

1. The Monster

The Monster I've got a zappy little nappy

When Roy last supported JN, it was announced fairly early on that he'd be performing Stormcock.

Any whispers about what he might do this time - a selection of songs, album, theme etc?

Guess he'll have about 45 mins to play with again.

Suggestions?

2. SHAUN I

SHAUN I It's so clear on the wings of the dawn

Good question. A cross section of Roy's work would be good, Stormcock again would be great too, in fact to be honest, I'm not that fussed, just glad to have the buzz of attending a live Roy Harper gig again (Despite being short & sweet!) :cheers2:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2010
  3. pd

pd Slightly Desperate Staff Member

A 45-minute version of Hup Hup spiral would be good enough for me...

4. SHAUN I

Even a 45 minute version of Hell's Angels Paul? OK maybe that's going a bit too far! :biggrin:

5. Travellerman

Travellerman Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

The Same Old Rock, as a duet, Newsom playing harp to Roy's guitar :wink::D

6. bigchris

bigchris Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

so long as she doesn't sing along with Roy !!

7. Barry

Barry Computer stained fingers

Watford Gap
    Advertisement
    Watersports
    Methane Zone
    Forbidden Fruit
    The 4th World

That lot should wake the audience up!

8. SteveT

SteveT Gracing the Bahamas in see through pyjamas

My worry would be that half the audience will still be in the bar waiting for La Joanna.

9. The Monster

Doubt that, didn't happen at the RAH

10. windjammer

windjammer I've got a zappy little nappy

Hopefully these live gigs will give Roy the incentive to get back on the road, even if it's only Clonakilty and shows in the major cities, he is coming up to 69 after all ! He could give us a taster of the material on the new album, it is 10 years after all since "The Green Man". He played 3 or so new songs in his last major tour in 2007. Why revisit "Stormcock" again, we have had the reissue/remaster already, show you're still relevant today Roy.

11. The Monster

Much as I think Stormcock is the greatest work of musical genius in the history of mankind, I find myself agreeing with that.

Not sure age is a major obstacle these days, Ian Hunter was a year older when he tore up the boards of the Hammy O for 2 hours plus five nights out of six last year, although I imagine he has fewer miles on the clock in other respects....

12. windjammer

windjammer I've got a zappy little nappy

I was thinking in terms of a 69 year old who in PD's interview a couple of years back said he had had health problems with prostate cancer, hopefuly all sorted now. certainly when I saw him on that 2007 tour I thought he looked worryingly thin. it certainly didn't affect the music though.

13. pd

pd Slightly Desperate Staff Member

He's always been thin and in real life is smaller in stature than you expect. However your point is well made I think, windjammer. It's not just the mental and physical strain of the actual performance; the whole tour lifestyle of travelling around and hotel living takes its toll as well. That's why I agree that a "major cities" handful of gigs every so often is pretty much all I can ask and hope for.

14. bigchris

bigchris Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

I'd settle for date in DeBarras ... if we were given enough notice ... or a suprise gig during the guitar festival !!

15. SteveT

SteveT Gracing the Bahamas in see through pyjamas

Perhaps it'll be the other way round!

Seriously though, I will have to keep an eye on the time to make sure I don't miss the last iron horse home.

16. Travellerman

Don't you love gigging in the UK? Encore or last train?... your choice! :(

17. SHAUN I

The last Albert Hall gig, I missed the last train and spent all night on Birmingham train station and then on to Preston, but it was worth it for the 45 minute set & Joanna Newsom was pretty good too :m21: Im playing safe & driving to the Festival Hall.

18. The Monster

Reminds me of the time I went to see Welsh band Man at the Lyceum a very long time ago. Blagged my way backstage after the gig (not too difficult in those days), joined in some mild substance abuse with the roadies (hadn't even started smoking then!) and, full of my own importance, eventually dragged myself away only to find the nearest Underground station locked up.

Ended up finding shelter at Baker Street nick and slept on the floor of the Interview Room, next to a boiling hot radiator. Caught the 6.30 home from Euston, went into school and, one term into A levels, promptly handed in my 'notice' Still not sure why. Sounds almost like a Roy anecdote, methinks...

19. Travellerman

Harper gigs have always involved an element of adventure for me too. I've slept on a cricket pitch, on the bench at a railway station, by the side of a motorway and more recently on the fields of a public school :biggrin:. (I miss 'milk trains'! if you have to ask, you're to young)

20. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

Ah, the milk train! I did one once to see Roy in Nottingham. It was a mail train and stopped at every single stop between there and St Pancras to pick up mail bags. Full of army squaddies, for some reason, sleeping. Got toLondon about 4am and then was in work by 10am!