1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roy at Festival Hall

Discussion in 'On Tour' started by The Monster, Mar 29, 2010.

1. Travellerman

Travellerman Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

1 reason, and it comes in pints :wink:

2. scotpaulabear

scotpaulabear Halfway up my own guitar, propping up another bar

3. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

So, how was Mr Harper, Snr?! I heard comments that he was 'mesmerising'...

4. The Monster

The Monster I've got a zappy little nappy

Part of me is dying to know what he played, the other part wants it to be a surprise tonight

5. dave w

dave w Computer stained fingers

spoiler

half of Stormcock

something off Green Man

something off Flat Baroque

something off Descendants of Smith

something off Valentine

not Pan though

is that too much info ?

6. pd

pd Slightly Desperate Staff Member

I will add no more information than the excellent teaser already given by Dave except to observe the following:

• The sound in there is brilliant and Roy's voice and guitar sounded superb despite not having much soundcheck time
    • Roy was definitely a bit rusty but it was wonderful to see him again and two certain long songs in particular really hit the spot for me despite a temporarily missing guitar pick :)
    • Joanna couldn't give him enough praise later in the evening and described him as "peerless" which is actually one hell of a compliment - and said how honoured she felt to have him there.
    • We got something like 50 minutes and it started very promptly, so make sure you're in the hall at or very soon after 7.30.

Paul.

7. dave w

dave w Computer stained fingers

and another thing..........

If you leave the hall, which you can do during songs, you will not be allowed back in until there is applause. This can be quite a while for some Roy songs, as you can imagine.

The bar could never, ever, be described as cheap

8. bigchris

bigchris Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

what time did the whole event finish last night ? As some of you know I left straight after Roy, as I had a very early start at work this morning ... but tomorrow I'm back to my usual time ... so I can stay and watch some JN tonight ... until her voice drives me away ... but just wondered how brave I would have to be to stay until then end ?

9. pd

pd Slightly Desperate Staff Member

It finished a little before 11pm... around 10.50 I'd say. Joanna was great though I do understand the "marmite" nature :)

10. bigchris

I managed half hour of JN tonight but that was hard work ... If she wasn't so pretty I would have left after the first 'arrangement' !! Just not my cup me tea ! But still worth the money just to see roy play again ... roll on the jazz cafe gig !!

11. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

I....?

I thought you were in a strict training regime for charitable mountains beckoning? I'll have to withdraw my sponsorship if you're not taking it seriously.

andi

12. SteveT

SteveT Gracing the Bahamas in see through pyjamas

I thought the arrangements were superb. I was particularly struck by the skill of the drummer. While there are still times when Joanna's "little girl" vocal style can grate a little, it is much improved from the first album and, at times last night, would have given a young Joni Mitchell a run for her money. I wonder if she could keep her mouth in the middle of her face it might help a little.

Attached Files:

13. The Monster

The Monster I've got a zappy little nappy

Thought Roy was eye moisteningly wonderful, voice great, playing exceptional, most notably on Green Man. Seemed to have a glow about him and charmed the pants off the audience. As someone said, roll on 5 June.

Was less taken with JH than last time, in some ways quite exceptional, but felt new material was weaker than the stuff she played at RAH and strayed too much into Kate Bush territory, becoming very repetitive at times. Only managed about an houras the enjoyment was straying into masochism territory.

Very sweet individual, though.

14. SteveT

SteveT Gracing the Bahamas in see through pyjamas

Uncut review of Tuesday

Roy Harper arrives on stage at the Festival Hall with a healthy selection of excuses. He hasn’t played in three years. He’s only had half a soundcheck. He met the soundman at four o’clock – no, at ten past five. The first song is brought to a temporary halt after about thirty seconds, due to his guitar sliding on the passport secreted in his trouser pocket.

Interestingly, though, none of this appears to faze or frustrate Harper a great deal. And in fact, talking in the office this morning, it seems as if his shows were ever thus; ambulatory, digressive, illuminated by miraculous moments. Lured out of a notional retirement at the behest of Joanna Newsom – “One of the most beautiful women I’ve ever seen,” says Harper, perhaps over-keenly, after having earlier admitted to a “bohemian” love life – his solo set tonight is a small, eccentrically-shaped gem.

Retirement and glitches notwithstanding, Harper’s guitar playing and singing are as unsteadily heroic as ever. “Me And My Woman”, "One Man Rock And Roll Band" and “Another Day” remain uncannily potent, though more recent songs like “Pinches Of Salt” and “The Green Man” measure up well, too. It’s all scattily compelling, and also makes me rather ashamed that my knowledge of his work is fairly limited.

http://www.uncut.co.uk/blog/index.php?blog=6&p=1492&=&more=1&c=1

15. bigchris

Well Andy ... the walking I had to do to get into London ... along the railway stations, up and down the stairs and crossing the Thames 4 times ... is one hell of a lot more exercise than I would do on a normal Tuesday & Wednesday !!

16. Jim

Jim Computer stained fingers

2nd night

was it the same set? did he forget as many words?

'another Day' was my highlight on Tuesday...

17. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

MusicOMH review of JN. Roy gets quote check! Surprised they didn't include Roy's set as their head man was there - although this is not by him - and he loves Mr H.

http://digg.com/u1XvLl

Last edited: May 14, 2010
  18. SHAUN I

SHAUN I It's so clear on the wings of the dawn

Wednesday evening

A great evening, really good to see Roy live again, (the last time was 2007 at the RAH) Even though it was only 6 songs, it was well worth the 500 mile round car journey, good to see Chris & Paul S. & meet Steve T. albeit very briefly.. Roy did forget some words and small bits of verses, reminded me of Harper gigs many moons ago :sifone:

Roy's setlist:

One Man Rock And Roll Band
    Commune
    The Green Man
    Pinches of Salt
    Another Day
    Me And My Woman (With cascading rust)

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2010
  19. SHAUN I

SHAUN I It's so clear on the wings of the dawn

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2010