1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roy @ End of the Road Festival

Discussion in 'On Tour' started by pd, Feb 7, 2012.

1. pd

pd Slightly Desperate Staff Member

2. tharper

tharper She's The One

thanks paul :)

3. bigchris

bigchris Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

I'll probably have to give this one a miss ( too close to Clon Guitar Festival ie money will be short !) ... but for those that do make it, I would highly recommend you seeing Doug Paisley (http://dougpaisley.com/) who is also playing - he was one of the highlights for me, of last years Clon Guitar festival !!

4. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

Is it?

Is it sold out already? What's an earlybird ticket?

Andi

5. bigchris

No it's not sold out yet - "normal" tickets are on sale for £150. "earlybird" tickets are often sold by festivals at a reduced rate, before they announce who is playing i.e. for loyal fans of the festival, rather than fans of one particular band that might be playing there.

6. NoCelebrity

NoCelebrity Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

No Turning Back!!!

It does my heart good to see Roy keeps making appearances in his "retirement." Wish we Americans were more deserving of a re-visit!

7. bigchris

Well you never know ( or perhaps Roy does ? ) - I heard rumours at the birthday gig, that Roy was supposed to be spending some time in the States with Jonathan Wilson - so he might fancy doing a gig while he's there - stranger things have happened !!

8. Gordie T Geordie

Gordie T Geordie Computer stained fingers

Roy appears to have signed to Bella Union (home of J Wilson and Fleet Foxes) so I would guess the chances of a US visit have increased somewhat!

9. Gordie T Geordie

And an absolutely fantastic festival. I've been to the last 4, despite it being a bit of a trek from South Shields. I took my lads and one of their mates (Clonakilty veterans but now Leeds regulars, I'm sad to say) last year and they loved it. They really seemed to appreciate the differences having just got back from Leeds and scarcely having time to clean up and repack, I thought the contrast would be too much and they would find it all a bit quiet but no, thumbs up all round.

Have you ever made it there, Chris (actually, I'm sure I'd have seen you!). Seems tailor-made for you given that, apart from the stunning music, they have a beer festival and the Somerset cider bus onsite.

One of the things I think sets it apart is the fact that a lot of the artists are there for the weekend and will pop up playing unplugged sets in the woods or, after the main stages have closed down at 11, play 'secret' late night sets in the 'Tipi' tent where the bar is open until 3.00 am.

Highly recommended!

10. DJ Burnham

DJ Burnham I've got a zappy little nappy

Pinball

It's a superb festival run by real enthusiasts, you might not recognise many of the artistes but you'll come away loving a whole load of new stuff and find yourself running between stages like a pinball. The crowd has a higher than average number of genuine music fans and the performers love that vibe and enhanced appreciation - bit like the difference between the (texting, popcorn-cruching, Kiora-slupring) audience at the Odious cinema and the buffs at an art house cinema. The stages are far enough apart not to get noise bleed, but close enough to dash between easily. Plenty of good beer, great food, superb setting. Nearly fell off me seat when Sue texted me so say Roy's playing there - match made in heaven.

11. scotpaulabear

scotpaulabear Halfway up my own guitar, propping up another bar

I have friends in Edinburgh who swear by this festival and say this is the one they have to go to every year, no question, distance no object... have told them who they have to go see this year :wink: I'm still leaning towards Beautiful Days but not ruling this out.

Good festival choice, Roy :biggrin:

12. Gordie T Geordie

The organisers of EOTR are launching a new festival at the start of the summer which is much closer for me (and you Paula) and, given that there is already some duplication in the early lineups, I'm still hoping Roy is added to the bill for 'No Direction Home'. The early announcements should have plenty of appeal for 'cockers, featuring some old favourites alongside some Festive 50 favourites - Martins Carthy and Simpson, Low Anthem, The Unthanks (with the Brighouse and Rastrick Brass Band), Richard Hawley plus a few who were great at EOTR last year - Other Lives, Lanterns On The Lake, Beth Jeans Houghton. In Sherwood Forest, by a lake, and only £105 (I paid £89 before any bands were announced because I trust the organisers!).

One other great thing about both festivals - no corporate sponshorship.

http://www.endoftheroadfestival.co.uk/

13. scotpaulabear

scotpaulabear Halfway up my own guitar, propping up another bar

Oooh, Slow Club! Too bad I can't make that one but it does look good.

14. SHAUN I

SHAUN I It's so clear on the wings of the dawn

15. Johnbarkeriom

Johnbarkeriom Computer stained fingers

Villagers too. Excellent.