1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roy harper - 70th celebration!!

Discussion in 'On Tour' started by tharper, May 11, 2011.

1. SHAUN I

SHAUN I It's so clear on the wings of the dawn

Good on ya, must've took some bottle to admit something like that Sandie! :biggrin:

Look forward to seeing you next weekend..

2. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

And look out for Simon, from Bella Union - label man! - who I am sure will be there. He has also played quite a few of Roy's songs this year on his Strangeways Radio show.

3. NoCelebrity

NoCelebrity Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Quality over Quantity

But I love to confuse my fellow Americans! If only for a moment or two...

4. Johnbarkeriom

Johnbarkeriom Computer stained fingers

5. bigchris

bigchris Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

6. scotpaulabear

scotpaulabear Halfway up my own guitar, propping up another bar

Ticket now taken :wink:

7. Bondinski

Bondinski I've got a zappy little nappy

Tony Franklin happens to be in the UK at the weekend for a gig on Monday 7th but I guess that's a coincidence. I do have a feeling Jimmy Page will play. Personally I was really looking forward to the David Bedford strings. Gutted.

8. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

Ach, The Fretless Monster - where on Monday? Don't know if I could make as have a review night with We Are Augustines, but could try...

Think I may only catch half, if that, of Roy's show - bugger! Just too many things happening on same nights for me this week. If you spot someone dashing in and then out again 20 minutes later, t'will likely be me!!

9. Sandie

Sandie Computer stained fingers

:

wink: That's only the half of it - I was the only one dressed to celebrate All Hallows Eve - black pointy hat with bits jutting out at angles, black gloves with nails that went on for ever, ragged black cape and black dress (was going to wear green glow in the dark face paint, but didn't dare)!! Can't believe no-one else dressed up!!! Actually it was a great night out - I have very eclectic taste n music!!!! :blushing::blushing:

I remember meeting a fabulous fan of Nick (and Roy) who was a big fan of McFly!!!!! She was VERY proud of that!!!

See you soon!!!

10. The Monster

The Monster I've got a zappy little nappy

11. Bondinski

Bondinski I've got a zappy little nappy

The Fretless Monster

Tony is playing with the Kenny Wayne Shepherd Band at KOKO in London on Monday 7th, only UK date in their European tour I think

12. bigchris

bigchris Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Ah everything you could possibly want to know about the Fretless Bass ( well I watched about 4 mins - and that was enough for me !! ) from the Fretless Monster :

[youtube]eDdAOsY-mnE[/youtube]

13. Dr_Doom_The_Optimist

Dr_Doom_The_Optimist In a beautiful rambling mess

Noooooooooooooooooo. :31:

14. pete c

pete c I've got a zappy little nappy

I suspect I might know that person ;-)

15. Kenny_Wisdom

Kenny_Wisdom Computer stained fingers

At RFH now...waiting for it to all start and THERE IS A BRASS SECTION on stage...

16. Alan Cynic

Alan Cynic Computer stained fingers

Thought that was absolutely lovely...fantastic accompaniment, brilliant cameos by Nick, Joanna and Jimmy P, and Roy on top form....very touching!

17. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

Unforgetability

...and Roy very emotional; keeping it all together, thanking the audience and the supporting cast.... probably recently been through some funerals of loving remembrance..thanks again Roy, Nick, Joanna,Jimmy..we will always remember thee!

Can't believe my children sat within a few metres of them in the Choir balcony..a family scrapbook moment eh?

Have found grief effects everybody differently and can be unpredictable. Roy wears his heart on his heart. Suitably sombre and respectful.

Loving Thanks For Sharing.

Andi

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  18. NoCelebrity

NoCelebrity Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

For the Love of Roy!

Must have been ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL! Thanks for all the reports!

Keep them coming!:seeya:

19. Utopian

Utopian I've got a zappy little nappy

Impressions

Too early yet for detailed musings on the evening - just some impressions. The atmosphere was excited; there was a general understanding that we were about to witness something very special - and we did! After a very effective warming-up at the hands of Jonathan (whose voice was lovely), Roy strolled on in his usual assured way, and we just felt the love pour out from everyone.
    It must always be hard for Roy to choose a setlist on account of having written so many amazing songs across such a wide range of subjects - but each new song that he introduced made me think "Oh great, I'm glad this one made it into the show - it's one of my favourites!" When I think about it, Roy has everything going for him; his voice was, as always, beautiful, subtle, yet powerful. His playing was masterly, seemingly effortless (though he has put the effort in long before many of us even knew him). You get the whole deal from Roy - the songs, the voice, the playing, everything...but yet more, because his heart is really in what he gives to the audience; there's no holding back his emotional attachment to the songs, and a person would have to have a heart of flint to resist being moved by Roy's delivery.
    Being the perfectionist that he is, he apologised for almost cracking up a couple of times; but if you ask me, it's everyone else that should be apologising for their lack of emotion in their performances.
    There was a genuine buzz in the audience as we crowded out into the mild November evening. I certainly felt that we had been afforded a fine privilege in being in the company of Roy and all his friends to share together in what had been (exactly as we were promised) a celebration.
    Thanks for a brilliant evening everybody, and particularly thanks to Roy.

20. mhea

mhea I've got a zappy little nappy

It's been about 20 years since I last saw Roy live, so I was really pleased to have accidentally stumbled across news about this gig before all the tickets got sold (I had missed seeing him play live in recent years). Arriving 5 minutes after Roy had started, Roy was already in full flight as I was finding my seat, and straight away I knew I'd done the right thing getting a ticket to this show. I wondered how things might have changed 20 years on; not much it seemed (in a good way of course), the voice and playing were great. Just a little less foot stomping and movement on the stool than I seem to remember (but maybe this varies from gig to gig anyway... or maybe not at 70!). I'd never heard Roy with strings and brass live before, and whilst I don't think he needs it, it certainly is an okay addition. The French Horn solo in When An Old Cricketer was where it worked for me best, with the fluttering violin bit in Commune where it builds up to the 'dragonfly' line a bit of an obvious strings interpretation... but that kind of slight cliché wasn't a big deal in terms of a turn off. (Just sharing some thoughts guys.) Roy and his music will mean different things to different people. For me, Roy is a reminder about the validity of the position of the outsider, and a credible re-affirmation that inner beliefs that operate against the status quo are actually incredibly precious, despite the hardship it causes. This kind of experience is rare to come across. For me, when Roy spoke about trying to make this planet his Heaven, that struck a particular chord (although he wasn't actually plucking his strings at that time!). Jimmy Page's appearance was wonderful, with his playing a great of example of music taking you into a momentarily different world. This morning I saw a great t-shirt that depicted a clown vomiting a rainbow into a toilet. I think the image appealed to me for reasons similar to why I like Roy. In an archetypal sense, The Fool. And trading beauty for crap. And so on. I really want this to come out on CD so I get to have a nice permanent reminder of this show.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011