1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roy harper - 70th celebration!!

Discussion in 'On Tour' started by tharper, May 11, 2011.

1. lifemask241

lifemask241 Guest

Idiots in the audience

What a wonderful and moving experience and good to see Page with Roy.

On a more negative note, is it me are there quite a few too many elderly exhibitionist knobs in Roy's audience?

On stage we had an old man talking to his audience, possibly for one of the last times, whilst drunken louts old enough to know better kept interrupting him.

At one point he was interrupted whilst trying to introduce his own son for god's sake.

IMHO

2. Alan Cynic

Alan Cynic Computer stained fingers

Yes...they were bugging! Still, Roy handled it well, and kept the warm atmosphere intact. I've still got a glow about me yet :)
    My father died at the start of the week, and I almost cancelled my trip down, but I'm so glad I didn't, as the emotion of the evening was a big help to me.

3. mhea

mhea I've got a zappy little nappy

All of Roy's gigs I've been to have had some audience banter and I kind of like it, but admittedly it does all come down to how good the shout-outs are. Yes, a lot were cringeworthy last night, but the acid one made up for it!

4. lifemask241

lifemask241 Guest

RFH Gig

Sorry to hear about your father and I guess that made some songs from last night even more poignant.

My first Roy gig was in 1973 and yes there was banter and always has been. It seems to have got coarser (or do I mean unfunny and pointless) and at times intrusive. Yes, you quote 'love roy' unquote but you know fellas (whoever you were) we were all pretty much there for that reason so shall we all bawl out our 'love' because we've had a coupla pints?

IMHO

5. Johnbarkeriom

Johnbarkeriom Computer stained fingers

It was fabulous. Just perfect. The orchestra were superb, the guests just right and the atmosphere was electric. Very emotional.

6. Barry

Barry Computer stained fingers

What a fantastic day! My wife grew up in London but moved out when we got married 26 years ago and has hardly been back, so we spent the day revisiting places from her past although most have changed beyond recognition. She has also never seen Roy live before, she was amazed by the power of his voice and thoroughly enjoyed the show. The performance had it all, emotion, power, humour and great guests, can't wait for any dvd/cd release.
    I'm now on the look out for a quality frame for the beautiful signed poster we bought. What a fantastic momento from a truly great day.

7. Alan Cynic

@lifemask241....thanks, and you're right!

@Barry... spot on with Roy's voice. He seemed to have rolled back the years.

8. NoCelebrity

NoCelebrity Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

More Roy to Enjoy!

Yes, please! And thanks to all who post comments on the Celebration!

9. Alan Cynic

There are already clips up on youtube... wish I knew how to download them!

10. Kenny_Wisdom

Kenny_Wisdom Computer stained fingers

A really magical evening, marred by some very unwitty audience banter – (really, dear drunken hecklers, check your pithy-o-meter before opening gob) and I too suffered from some talkers around me. A different vibe to 2001, relaxed yet emotional. Seeing the brass section on stage excited me, I was hoping for Cricketer to be accompanied by brass and I was not disappointed – in fact, it was both a brass and strings arrangement!
    I think one of the best Harper gigs I’ve attended in terms of the emotional charge and content. As for the set list, this is done by memory and not in the right order and for some reason I doubt whether Commune was actually in the set (nuts I know, but upon getting home I did play a lot of Roy!!) so errors and corrections due, I think this is nearly right!

Highway Blues
    North Country
    I’ll See You Again
    Commune
    Me and My Woman with Nick Harper(superb arrangement BTW)
    Hallucinating Light with Nick Harper
    Twelve Hours of Sunset
    2 verse I Hate the Whiteman
    Frozen Moment
    Another Day with Joanna Newsom
    When an Old Cricketer Leaves the Crease
    Same Old Rock with Jimmy Page
    The Green Man

PS I do hope this makes it to DVD...the 2001 gig was filmed and never saw the light of day (maybe it will come out with this?)...I meant to add I loved Nicks entrance on Me and My Woman...he came in at the end...the Bedford players had just finished their piece, didn't think it could get better and then Nick walked on with guitar to provide the acoustic version finish - it had it ALL!!!

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  11. pd

pd Slightly Desperate Staff Member

That setlist looks OK to me Kenny :) He did indeed play Commune... if you remember, they re-did the part after "The black cap sings" just for the recording since Roy got lost on the guitar at the end.

It will take me a while longer to "come down" after that weekend. I have plenty to say and some fun stuff to put on the next podcast, so I'll try to get that out soon. Such a wonderful weekend - and I made a point to express this to Roy at the end of the night as well, I couldn't have hoped for a better celebration.

Paul.

12. Zoidiac

Zoidiac Guest

A truely amazing night...

13. JonnieB

JonnieB Computer stained fingers

A fantastic evening. I can't imagine this ever being bettered. The evening even eclipsed Newcastle's albeit brief occupation of the second slot in the Premiership earlier in the day...

Loved the duet with Joanna Newsome - it brought to mind the Kate Bush and Peter Gabriel version - and Same Old Rock was the icing on what had already been a particularly delicious cake.

Thanks to Roy and all concerned.

I've posted some photos from the night in the pictures/albums section.

14. mhea

mhea I've got a zappy little nappy

I must say, I am quietly amused (bemused?) by the consternation surrounding audience shout-outs, I had never expected that it would figure so highly in people's reviews, particularly Roy Harper fans!... so will ramble a bit more, and get told off for being off-topic LOL. (Perhaps there is a topic on it elsewhere... I haven't looked). It would be a shame for anyone reading this who wasn't there, to get the impression the shout-outs were all too much. Just a handful of comments inbetween songs, as is the norm; some better than others. Live and let live guys, and accept it as an inevitable consequence of the breaking-down of the artist/audience barrier that, for many artists (amongst whom I include Roy), was an issue back in the day, and was, in Roy's case, conquered, and clearly continues. This whole shout-out conversation here has reminded me of my shock at the difference between Johnny Cash's rowdy prison audiences, and his mild-mannered TV studio audiences. Although I should note that my shock is in the other direction to the prevailing comments on this topic here; ie I was shocked how passive the mild-mannered audience were. I notice Roy's deliberate inclusion of a bawled-out 'Whiteman' on 'Flashes', and an unpithy 'Maybe we're both idiots' on 'Unhinged'. Those two were the first random two to spring to mind. At the end of the day, a little irreverence is a very good thing, so long as it's done with a good heart, and as has already been said, everyone was there for the same reason; they like Roy and his music, so the heart thing is sorted. (I should just add that I'm not the sort to shout out myself!)
    I really hope it isn't a case of 'Shhhh, be quiet, say nothing, sit still... 'cause he's gonna die soon and this might not happen much more times'. If that's the case, that is a real shame.
    100% respect to Roy for a fantastic evening. And 100% respect to everyone in the audience; the ones who were quiet, the ones who shouted out, the ones who disagree with me, and the ones who agree with me.
    What a great night.

15. Nigels

Nigels Computer stained fingers

What a fantastic evening that was. Many, many highlights but here are just a few;
    1. Nick Harper's 2nd guitar on Me and My Woman. Never heard it played with a 2nd guitar before and it really gave that part of the song an added dimension. Thats gonna get worn out quite quickly when I get hold of the CD!
    2. Joanna Newsom was amazing on Another Day. Roy held it together emotionally, just.
    3. Hearing the brass section on Cricketer live for the first time was a real treat. We were sat at the front close to the players and I'm sure we got the best of the sound.
    4. The appearance of Jimmy Page sent the place wild and he certainly didn't disappoint with his mastery. And what E string was he using? He was getting some real heavy bass notes. It occurs to me that it wasn't only Roy Harper's 70th birthday but also S.Flavius Mercurius's 40th.
    It had a totally different atmosphere to 2001 which was more of a "Roy Harper and freinds" gathering. This was distilled and very concentrated Roy Harper where helpers were called upon where their contribution was absolutely necessary and unforgettable. In a word Brilliant.
    Can't wait for the next one. Not 80th, but 71st?!?!
    Regards, Nigels.

16. Johnbarkeriom

Johnbarkeriom Computer stained fingers

17. Bondinski

Bondinski I've got a zappy little nappy

Shout-outs

18. Kenny_Wisdom

Kenny_Wisdom Computer stained fingers

Regards the shout-outs - yes - witty banter is to be expected and hopefully enjoyed at a Harper gig. However, wit seems to have given way to the twit, these days.

No apologies for finding the heckles at Jonathan Wilson, who provided excellent, mellow support, and was clearly honoured to have been invited, absolutely disconcerting. I heard nothing better shouted at Roy, only audience members who seemed vaguely aware of the tradition of humorous banter at a Harper gig but were unable to match the legend that it is.

If you're going to do it, you'd better be good....:wink:

19. MarkFerres

MarkFerres Guest

Me and My Woman

I have to say that the rendition of Me and My Woman is one of the finest things I have ever heard live.

20. Wee Steve

Wee Steve Computer stained fingers

Keeping things in perspective

Having (just) got home and read all the comments, I must add that the whole evening was utterly brilliant: we were knocked out by every performance from Roy and his team, and nothing will spoil our memories of the do.

And that last bit is definitely meant as "two fingers" to the boring hecklers. I hear what people say about "live and let live" and "it's part of the Harper Heritage", but "live and let live" works both ways, doesn't it? And surely those who are so far up themselves that they think their drunken bawling is amusing should, just for one sweet second, imagine what it must be like to be sat next to them. "Selfish" is a totally inadequate description.

That's all: every other moment was sheer pleasure, from "Highway Blues" through to "Green Man", via bum notes in "Commune" and His Royness getting understandably emotional. The tributes to Bert J. and David B. were moving to the utterance, and the whole event was a fitting way to celebrate.

Thanks.