1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roy harper - 70th celebration!!

Discussion in 'On Tour' started by tharper, May 11, 2011.

1. Dr_Doom_The_Optimist

Dr_Doom_The_Optimist In a beautiful rambling mess

Quick question: Was there a programme booklet?

+A

2. bigchris

bigchris Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

I agree that some of the shout outs for "jonathon" were a tad OTT and the first guy who shouted "Who Are You ?" did come across as pretty rude ( to start with ) and obviously Jonathan took offence ... BUT unless you are on this mailing list or happen to return to the southbank website ( after you had purchased a ticket ) ... then you genuinely wouldn't know who he was ! He was trying to say, that his name was on the ticket - but it wasn't and he wasn't introduced to the crowd before he came on stage - so I should imagine that the majority of the crowd didn't know who he was ... after that shout out, everyone would know him as Jonathan - but would still be at a loss of what his surname was !!

3. bigchris

Nope !! Only new merchandise was the limited edition poster - £20 or £35 signed ... pretty steep, but still bought one !!

4. SteveT

SteveT Gracing the Bahamas in see through pyjamas

Being right up front meant that although I could hear the shouts I couldn't pick up on what was said but the whistling was just as annoying for me. If it was genuine appreciation for the performance then it should have been kept until the end of a song at the very least. I think with some of these people it's more of a 'look at me' cry and a silly desire to be heard on any subsequent recordings that surface. Vocal graffiti?

That said, it did not spoil the occasion or the music for me. I spent all of Sunday avoiding listening to other music in some sort of attempt to keep the experience and memory more immediate. That lasted until the evening when I went to see Emily Barker and band. A fine way to finish off the weekend.

Now I just have to find somone to frame the poster for me and then wait patiently for news of the recording being published.

5. bigchris

I'm quoting myself here ... just in case anyone wants to disagree with me !! But JW has just put a photo on his facebook wall showing a ticket from Saturday's gig ( plus some of Roy in the rehearsals ) and that one did have his name on it ... but mine certainly did not !!

Well I was on the front row too ( other side to Steve ) and I could just about hear all the heckles ... but they didn't really bother me ... BUT what did was one of the official ( well I hope he was ) photographers - I had already said to my mates that if any photographer thinks they were going to block my view, then he/she wouldn't for long ! But the guy in question, didn't block my view - he just knelt down beside me .. no problem there ... but every so often he'd take 10-20 shots at once and all I could hear was click-click-click ( etc you get the point - 20 of 'em ) - I allowed him a few minutes of that carry-on before I had to have words with him ... and he disappeared ( probably to go and annoy someone else, who were too "polite/shy" to tell him where to go !! )

6. SteveT

I saw one of the photographers taking shots of the audience and a video clip, all in your direction Chris, so you'd better be a bit wary of any unexpected knocks on the door for a few weeks :wink:

7. SHAUN I

SHAUN I It's so clear on the wings of the dawn

Amazing gig on Saturday, and also had a fantastic night at The Underbelly on Friday, although a bit worse for wear due to lack of food intake priorities, anyway it was nice to put faces to some Stormcock usernames at both pre-gig meets, met some great people for the first time this weekend. Saturday at The Wellington was just like the old days, the buzz and familiar anticipation of a Harper gig, although I think we all seemed to know it would turn into something special. I wasn't blown away by Jonathan Wilson, (his name certainly wasn't on my ticket either) quite a mellow, easy listening set, but just not my thing. Personally I didn't think there was a need for a support act, because Roy just doesn't need one. A perfect mix of songs in the set list, and Nick coming on in his inimitable way, adding his extra dimension of guitar fills on Me & My Woman was just class, the extra layer of sound from the brass and strings was a nice touch too, both as a tribute to Roy and David Bedford. A blinding rendition of Hallucinating Light, I'm sure the whole of the RFH crowd felt the vibe of emotion from father & son. Roy's vocals were powerful and purposeful.

The electric atmosphere and sheer adulation from the crowd for both legends during The Same Old Rock was pretty mindblowing. A monster of a Harper gig to remember for the rest of my days. Tinged with some sadness, I did get a little choked, and really felt for Roy at times during some obviously difficult moments for him.
    Big thanks to Roy & Tracy for all the hard work that must've gone into organising such an event.

Roll on the next one!

Oh and as some already know, I bumped into Ronnie Wood, who happened to be doing a radio show just 50 yards from the Prince Arthur pub, and they had a great picture of FZ in The Underbelly, me & Nick had our picture took with Frank. Small things and all that, but they made my night! :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2011
  8. Wee Steve

Wee Steve Computer stained fingers

Shaun says it all.
    Couldn't agree more.

9. Kenny_Wisdom

Kenny_Wisdom Computer stained fingers

Er, I am sure one wouldn't know, but to be fair, "Who are you?" was the politest question shouted out. The idiot in the balcony was far ruder.

Not big or clever. Just actually downright rude. I felt embarassed and ashamed. Anyway, horses for courses, each to their own, I've said my bit; will leave it there.

10. Barry

Barry Computer stained fingers

Let me know if you find someone Steve, I'm doing the same but no-one around the Bognor area seems to do it.

11. bigchris

I had a bit of luck yesterday ... as I had the day off work, I took my poster to "my" usual guy in Greenford ( not very handy for you though Barry ) but then discovered that his shop is closed on Mondays ( bugger ! ) ... so went further up the road, turned my car round and headed back home ( 20 miles away ! ) ... and then spotted the guy doing some shopping .. so slammed the breaks on and collared him in the fruit and veg shop - giving him my poster as he bought some berries !!

12. bigchris

Has anyone actually looked at their poster yet ? I didn't and gave it to picture framing guy still in its plastic tube ... I just saw a photo of the poster on JW's facebook and it shows the full line-up ... wasn't expecting that !! Good job, no one ( that I spoke to ) looked at theirs before the gig, as it would have spoiled the surprises !!

13. bigchris

Seems like I'm talking to myself on this topic ... but spooky enough the picture frame guy just phoned me to talk about prices etc and I asked him if it has the line-up on and it surely does ( chuffing bonus !! ) ... and the price of the framing is most I've ever spent on a frame ... but then again £35 is the post I've ever spent on a poster too ... absolutely NO regrets ... will make a very special reminder of such a brilliant gig !!!! Just thinking; using the word "gig" just doesn't seem right .... "experience" is a much better word !!!

14. SteveT

There are trwo places up in North End. The first was shut but the art shop further up (almost Hilsea) quoted between about 60 and 90 quid for a fairly plain frame, glass and backing. I was going to try Hiscocks in S'sea (behind Waitrose but I don't expect they would be much different. I was quoted 200 quid for a box-frame (for a Pompey shirt) in there once.

15. SteveT

I only glanced at the poster on the display in the RFH and hadn't noticed the line up. It would have been even better if all the names had signed it though!

16. The Monster

The Monster I've got a zappy little nappy

I can let you have a very nice dustbin for the Pompey shirt for a fraction of that, Steve...

17. SteveT

:biggrin: To be honest, I've no idea where I've put it now anyway.

18. bigchris

Yeah the ones on show didn't show the line-up - they showed the prices instead !!

I'm paying £109 for mine to be framed; he said he could do it for about £40 cheaper - but he said it wouldn't have looked as good - I know people might be thinking that's salesman talk for you - but I trust this guy and he's a massive music fan and he hasn't let me down in the past !!

19. SteveT

I was also given a quote for 300 quid but thought that may be a little beyond my requirements.

20. Barry

Barry Computer stained fingers

Bloke in Chichester said he can do it for about £50-£60 going to see him next week to have a look at some frames. Will be well happy if he does it for that price.