1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roy Harper as Special Guest with Joanna Newsom - September 2010

Discussion in 'On Tour' started by tharper, Aug 3, 2010.

1. tharper

tharper She's The One

2. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

Birmingham Symphony Hall, eh. My friend's their PR! Cool beans. I'm there! :thumbup1:

3. bigchris

bigchris Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

That is a pity ( for me ... not Roy ) ... as Clonaklilty ( for the guitar festival ) just won't reel the same ... knowing that there won't be a chance to bump into Tracy and/or Roy during the week !!

4. SHAUN I

SHAUN I It's so clear on the wings of the dawn

Just got tickets for Roy & Joanna Newsom in Manchester, an easy online ticket ordering system, which was a welcome change.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2010
  5. The Monster

The Monster I've got a zappy little nappy

Obviously, this arrangement works well and there is a huge amount of mutual respect between them. Roy supporting JH is better than Roy not playing at all, but I hope his dazzling performance at the Jazz Cafe will inspire him to venture out solo from time to time, he's far too good to be rstricted to half a dozen songs as a warm up act on a long term basis!!

6. Travellerman

Travellerman Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Think of it as a Roy Harper gig... with a bit of a bonus at the end :D

7. HarperPR

That is what I'm doing. But the bonus will be if I can get home same night after Brum without need of a stay over! Have 3 months ahead of running around the country, so I will be having more than enough of hotels.

Have been very proactive on this one - most unlike me! Had it sorted within 30 minutes of Tracy posting it here.

8. Travellerman

Bristol... sorted, transport too. :D

9. The Monster

The Monster I've got a zappy little nappy

Yes, s'pose; you be the glass-half-full one Trav; I'm too old to ditch the half-empty approach now !

10. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

Colston Hall Zummerset

Booking Bristol. Mark Chadwick also playing Colston Hall on 14th October.

Remember seeing Roy there many moons ago when he appropriately sang "I'll see you again by accident".

How will I recognise you Trav? Are you going Nick [Lane], LinnPR and Big Blistering mountain man Chris? Any local wateringholes to recommend for a thirsty Watterson?

Wonder if Lady Jane is still residing there by the Uni? Should be a good weekend and may visit my beloved Bath again and see the family in Cardiff? Hope not to bump into that disgraced Welsh politician looking for badgers in the Bristolian woods!

[youtube]dQiKDBM3oRQ[/youtube]

[youtube]mQUcd0EYhEI[/youtube]

[youtube]EaeEk5zelIE[/youtube]

Bathonian Andi

Last edited: Aug 8, 2010
  11. Travellerman

I look a little like the photo on the left, with more hair. :D

12. HarperPR

No, Andrew, only doing Brum for Roy. And same for Mark, as he is doing the Glee so good to catch up with those peeps, but may sneak in another one for him somewhere. :wink:

13. scotpaulabear

scotpaulabear Halfway up my own guitar, propping up another bar

Anyone else here coming to the Glasgow show? Fuzzy and Mhairi? Steve Clarke the Northern maybe? :biggrin:

14. Shane

Shane Computer stained fingers

Im just after coming from the Dublin show, very impressed! The voice sounded great, very rich and strong, as good as I've heard him in the 12 or 13 gigs ive seen possibly. The guitar playing was a bit scrappy at times but I it barely deserves mention really, im just trying to sound balanced! A good humoured performance too, he thanked JN for getting him out of retirement and said he was really enjoying playing again. I didnt know what to expect from an opening slot in a venue so big but he got a good reaction from the audience and won a few new fans judging from the comments I heard nearby. I did hear a few people who weren't impressed of course, but thats to be expected at such a gig. Beautiful venue too. Comfy and plush. The setlist (in pale text for those who dont want to know - click and highlight it):

Highway Blues
    The Unknown Soldier
    Another Day
    Don't You Grieve
    Francesca
    Frozen Moment
    The Green Man
    Me & My Woman

I think that's right anyway. Highlights for me were the last three and the second.

15. Travellerman

The Unknown Soldier! - I don't think I've heard that live for 20 years or so! Roll on Bristol :D

Text colouring doesn't work for those of us reading in email notifications - doh!

16. aspwatterson

Can't wait!

Can't wait to see the Ol'cricketer and feel his presence tomorrow at Colston Hall. Apparently there's parking nearby at Trenchard Street Car Park and it's only £2.50 overnight.Van with duvet here I come!

Andi

17. Travellerman

I treated myself to a cheapie B&B, but I'll look for your van :D I'm probably in Bristol most of the day and the next, no huge plans other than wandering with the camera :m3:

18. HarperPR

How was last night, you Bristolians?! Birmingham tonight, yay.

My friend is snapping Joanna at the Symphony Hall for a News Of The World piece. Although he will be taking shots of Roy, I don't think the plan was for him to feature. :angry: Howver, another journo pal is going to the Manc show and is reviewing for online site, Music OMH, which I guess will be live next week. I asked him to make sure he got there early for Roy, and he said he would and include him in the review. Woop!

19. aspwatterson

I looked...

I looked / stood in various places for Stormcock people, trying to keep a high profile in case anyone recognised me, to no avail. There were definitely some ol'uns really into Roy in the Gallery tapping their feet / swaying to the music. Thought I detected a Big Chris laugh at one point down in the front stalls? I had to leave the carpark at 5am incase the daily charge kicked in but managed a few squashed hours of sleep.

Roy was on fine form I thought, although as Nick said on the other forum, it was hard to hear his ramblings between songs. He said that for many aging years he's looked in the mirror he always seen an ape. He was in a typical avuncular philosophical laughing cynical mood where he made fun out of the pope, the book of judas, his surroundings etc. Really praised Joanna and her music / voice / band and said he would be doing similar such new music if he wasn't retired. His guitar was tuned wonderfully low on some songs and sounded amazing like Nick (Harper). Songs were the same set as the previous gig I think and I loved it. He skipped off the stage like a teenager!

Found JN hard to appreciate, although obviously talented, it was hard to hear the words sung /import of the songs meaning and after a while the harp sounded a bit the same and pedestrian. The voice definitely reminded me a lot of Kate Bush's intonnations. Has anyone heard of the harp doing rocking blues or ragtime I was thinking to make it sound different. The crowd obviously adored her and the whole show was very cleverly arranged but the avant-garde nature of some of the backing was a bit beyond me. Perhaps it will grow in time as with new experiences.

Will post more soon...running out of time in Cardiff Central Library.

andi

Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
  20. Travellerman

What Andi says... :D

Except I really liked Joanna's stuff. It was my first JN gig and I thought she put her all into it, I love that - total focus, maximum effort. Roy was on form too, it was great to see him on stage and I think he held the crowd very well. I would estimate the hall was at least 70% full when he came on, it filled to the brim for Joanna - but it certainly wasn't half empty for Roy.

I'm just in the door, so I'll setlist later. Might have some photos too. Looked for Andi and others but didn't see any faces- some likely ones perhaps! but none I recognised. I was also amazed at Bristol itself, what a fabulous city, I'm thinking it's time for me to get off this island - there's certainly a lot more 'talent' there ;)

Last edited: Sep 17, 2010