1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roy Harper Associates

Discussion in 'General' started by James, Dec 5, 2013.

1. James

James I've got a zappy little nappy

I thought some of you might be interested in Ian Anderson's new album coming out next year called Homo Erraticus. http://jethrotull.com/homo-erraticus-the-new-studio-album-from-ian-anderson/ To spread the news I created a new thread for us to stay abreast on people and musicians associated with Roy Harper. Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull said “Roy was an ex-Blackpool contemporary folk musician, having escaped earlier than I did. He showed me the way to acoustic guitar and songwriting in a more poetic and enigmatic way.” Ian Anderson contributed flute to two of Roy's albums Valentine and The Dream Society. Roy Harper also covered a song Ian wrote called “Up the Pool”

This is what Roy said about Ian

“Ian brought a new and different instrument into the musical canon and helped create a fusion that eventually became known as prog rock. It was a different take than the usual guitar-drums-keyboard-voice line-up; Tull were totally unique. That style they brought in just didn’t exist before Ian. And he’s a different kind of showman to someone like David Bowie; he’s more connected to traditional British forces and folk music in particular. He’s like a bridge between prog and Fairport Convention and it’s an important one. Because for some people that was an introduction to a different life brand.

“Jethro Tull were huge in America, where they translated very well. It was sort of what I would have done if I’d have had a band. But I would have been very different anyway, with me being more jazz-influenced. The thing is that Jethro Tull were doing what I should have been doing, in effect, by actually taking a more traditional English feel to things. And they exported that to the USA. For many Americans their music was very exotically English."

And this is what Ian said about Roy.
    "Ghenghis Smith was, in the summer of 1968 after I’d already met Roy and knew a little bit about him by reputation, one of the first vinyl LPs I ever bought. I bought it in the first week I owned a vinyl player, by which time I was 21 years old, living in north London and had just begun with Jethro Tull. It was my summer album of 1968, as it felt like London in the summer - north London in the summer more importantly. It was redolent of the sounds and the images: Hampstead Heath, Highgate Cemetery, the streets, Soho, it was an album that really dovetailed with my own personal experiences of my first summer in London as a young man.

He certainly didn’t influence anybody else in the band. People looked at Roy Harper as being a bit of a weird new-age folkie, and he didn’t influence any of the other guys at all, although he influenced elements within Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd. We all envied Roy for his simplicity and directness and his meandering, rather chaotic creativity. Life was simple for Roy, he had a guitar on his back and he would hitch a lift to the side of the motorway to go to the next gig, whereas the rest of us had roadies and fans and plane tickets and tour managers. The complexities and detritus of rock band life. And conversely of course, Roy rather envied the trappings of wealth, fame and the rock star lifestyle. The grass, as they say, is always greener, and Roy certainly smoked a lot of it."

Here is a previously unreleased version of "Wondering aloud"

http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/news/cr-awardsprog-didnt-exist-before-ian-anderson/

http://thequietus.com/articles/12471-ian-anderson-jethro-tull-favourite-albums?page=3

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013