1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roy Harper @ Jazz Cafe, London - June 5, 2010

Discussion in 'On Tour' started by tharper, Apr 8, 2010.

1. The Monster

The Monster I've got a zappy little nappy

According to an advert I saw recently, there's a new product out called Flomax, which purports to empty the pipeline in one go. Perhaps we could get some for Roy...

2. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious I've got a zappy little nappy

Any update on the gig? What did he play? No info anywhere???

3. pd

pd Slightly Desperate Staff Member

It was a wonderful, wonderful night.

Setlist with thanks to Chris Stoner from the email list:

One Man Rock And Roll Band
    North Country
    Don't You Grieve
    Pinches of Salt
    Hangman
    Another Day
    Commune
    The Green Man
    Me and My Woman

When an Old Cricketer Leaves the Crease

4. The Monster

From memory and not in order - One Man Rock and Roll Band, Green Man, Commune, Hangman, Don't You Grieve, Another Day, Me and My Woman, Pinches of Salt, encore Cricketer

I've got a nagging feeling I've forgotten one

Was on fine form musically and communicatively, never better, in my sadly too short experience; he seems very much at ease with the world

Was daydreaming earlier about a Page/ Harper reunion tour and recording: stranger things have happened...

5. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious I've got a zappy little nappy

Thanks

Looks like a nice set list - would have loved to have been there but had something else booked. Any sign of other gigs? Shame he didn't do anything new - he did a couple on the last tour and also added "The Death of God".

6. SHAUN I

SHAUN I It's so clear on the wings of the dawn

Just got back from a brilliant family holiday in Turkey, but also gutted to have missed Roy performing a such a great set-list, with the legendary JP in attendance, look forward to the next gig. :cheers2:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2010
  7. bigchris

bigchris Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

This has nothing to do with me ... just found it on youtube ... One Man Rock And Roll Band from Saturday night ...

[youtube]F-ElXIRBkUM[/youtube]

8. SHAUN I

Nice one Chris, got to see a little bit after all :biggrin: (Cheers to whoever posted it) By the way, Roy's form is certainly coming back, great when he gets in the groove.

9. The Monster

Great stuff, thanks Shaun. Confirms it wasn't the beer; he really was on fire.

Hangman please, someone...:wink:

10. bigchris

bigchris Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

erm ... I've been called worse things over the years ?! But no worries !!

11. Dr_Doom_The_Optimist

Dr_Doom_The_Optimist In a beautiful rambling mess

You make him sound obliged to release a record when he has no such obligation. I say Roy has given enough since 1966, and ANY gigs and ANY new material at this stage is a an absolute bonus, and not some god-given right of the fans.

If there is going to be another album, I'd rather he took his time and released something which he was really f*cking proud of, than rushed out an LP of averageness every year or 2 ... he's happily outside the music industry now. He doesn't need to provide another hit single, or another album or ANYTHING. He's an artist. He will create when he's ready to create and not a minute sooner.

From what I can gather he seems happier doing his gardening these days. If that's what floats his boat, I say do your gardening Roy!

Best,
    +A

12. SHAUN I

I agree, Roy's not a young gigging musician any more, he's been a prolific live performer for the last 40 odd years, to be still experiencing live RH gigs in 2010 is an absolute privilage, whenever a new Harper album comes along, it's always an eventful milestone to look forward to, due to the results of Roy's artistic endevours for perfection. His reputuation for refusing to compromise is globally admired, and justifiably reflected in his uniqueness and quality..Que Sera, Sera!

13. The Monster

Oops, apologies. Sent in a bit of a rush whilst watching Roy's film 'Made' for the first time, funnily enough.

A real period piece, seems like 100 years ago...Roy really quite good (largely playing himself, mind you). Carol White quite fetching...:blushing:

14. windjammer

windjammer I've got a zappy little nappy

I think it was shown on TV many moons ago. Carol White had a sad decline in later years and never realised the potential she showed in the 70s. Alcohol and drug abuse took its toll and she died in 1991 aged only 48. Perhaps Roy should restart his film career, he could be the new Catweazle !! You have to be of a certain age to appreciate this !!

Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
  15. windjammer

windjammer I've got a zappy little nappy

Of course he's not obliged to make another record or tour the length and breadth of the nation, by the same token we are not obliged to buy the product when he does. It's our own individual choice. Roy over the years has always been outspoken, some things I agreed with him on, some I didn't. That is why after first seeing him 42 years ago I have followed him regularly ever since. Many shows in different places and many records. The last show I saw was at Penzance during his last major tour in 2007. he played several new songs then in various stages of development and we were told at the end that tour that he was taking time out to rest and develop the new material. Yes I know he is in his late 60s and has been in poor health durung the intervening years but I am just quoting the facts as we were told them then. As someone in his 60s myself I know I will never be the man I was 20 years ago. Being a fan of someone doesn't mean that you can't have an opinion. Roy certainly wouldn't want people to regard him as some kind of Messiah, think back to Bob Dylan and his reaction to his early 60s fan worship, "Don't follow leaders.....". Yes he has the right to do things or not, as is his wont, and I will undoubtedly buy the new album if and when it comes out, but does Roy want us to be passive worshippers? I don't think so!! The whole purpose of a forum is debate isn't it?

16. GuyH

GuyH I've got a zappy little nappy

17. pd

pd Slightly Desperate Staff Member

I really enjoyed reading that, many thanks!

18. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

19. Shane

Shane Computer stained fingers

20. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier