1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roy @ Moseley Folk Festival 2012

Discussion in 'On Tour' started by bigchris, Apr 2, 2012.

1. bigchris

bigchris Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

2. scotpaulabear

scotpaulabear Halfway up my own guitar, propping up another bar

Rather exciting, all these Royfests! Not sure I can get time and money sorted for Beautiful Days this year, so one of these other fests may suit... :biggrin:

3. bigchris

Yeah it is good news ... though we can't afford any of the big fesivals this year ( though am doing Saturday only at Cambridge and may do the same for Moseley ) ... were off to the infamous Farmer Phil's festival (http://www.farmerphilsfestival.co.uk/) instead - £65 for up to a week and you can have campfires !!

IMHO it's a Pity Nick didn't get his old man to play at Avebury instead of the Levs !!

4. scotpaulabear

scotpaulabear Halfway up my own guitar, propping up another bar

Yeah, that would've been great, but the Levs will be fun... are you coming back to Avebury?

And that FarmerPhilFest looks good - Rodney Branigan is quite amazing live!

5. bigchris

Not sure really ... I've signed up for it, but that's no guarantee that I will actually go .. they'll get my money either way, just got to decide if I am up for it ... last year was a very long day !!

6. Gordie T Geordie

Gordie T Geordie Computer stained fingers

Moseley Folk is a lovely little festival. Saw Nick there a few years ago, not long after Clonakilty, and have been a couple of times since. It seems to have gone from strength to strength, expanding into Friday evening and generally putting on a more and more impressive lineup. It's held in a private residential park, hence no camping, just off the high street so if the festival food and beer offerings don't take your fancy, there are plenty of options outside. Having said that, the beer tent in particular has been excellent. There are 2 stages but they are basically side by side so the music is pretty much non-stop and you don't even need to move!

Last time I stayed with a mate in Coventry and 'commuted' but the other twice me and me lads got cheap hotel rooms in Edgbaston which is a short bus ride or a decent walk away.

Recommended!

I may just go on the Saturday myself but it depends how the bill fills out. I would hope that a) Jonathan Wilson plays with his band and b) Julian Cope doesn't!

7. dave w

dave w Computer stained fingers

8. dave w

this weekend

anyone else heading to Moseley this weekend ?

9. bigchris

Dave - if you re-read the comments above by Gordie T Geordie, then that answers the question you asked me earlier - looks like you can leave the festival and get re-entry into it !?

10. SteveT

SteveT Gracing the Bahamas in see through pyjamas

Yes, I am.

11. Sandie

Sandie Computer stained fingers

I'll be there Saturday - not sure what time I'll arrive as I have to make sure Dad's all set until lunch time Sunday.

12. dave w

set list, sort of..

the songs, not in the order they were played though

Highway Blues : Another Day : Whiteman : Commune : DYG : North Country : Hallucinating Light : One man r'n'r band : Me & my woman : Old cricketer

lots of guitar feedback early on, some invertibrate interventions ( Roy swallowed one of the many creatures buzzing the stage )

Just to echo what people have posted earlier, Moseley is a very easy going little festival & everyone I spoke to had a good time. Will check the line up next year.

13. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

14. Neil1567

Neil1567 I've got a zappy little nappy

Mofo

Set list as per Dave's above but with North Country and HL switched and also Twelve Hours Of Sunset between the two Stormcock set highlights. Superb show all round. Jonathan Wilson has suggested in an earlier interview that him and his, frankly excellent, band might be joining Roy for a song or two but most probably due to the lack of any rehearsal time this didn't happen this time. If it had we might have enjoyed a full band Highway Blues or maybe another HQ selection. What we got instead was 90 mins of classic solo Roy. It was a shame his on stage sound wasn't great for him but after minor feedback issues early on the sound out front was excellent. Very much looking forward to the Wilson-produced new album which Roy hinted is on its way!

15. bigchris

16. Gordie T Geordie

I'm surprised by this. Roy played at End Of The Road the day before, again preceded by JW and his band, who, I have it on good authority, did join Roy for part of his set. Roy played the (main) Woods stage at EOTR which surprised me as he would have been perfect for the Garden Stage there. Maybe he felt he needed the extra backing to get across to the audience there (it's a big field, would hold 10,000) but felt that Moseley was intimate enough to play solo (though from the comments beneath that lovely photo, not everybody was listening).

There is an alternative explanation which is that my source was winding me up as I was missing my first EOTR for 5 years and was sitting at home sulking with a busted wrist! He knows how much I like Roy and how excited I was by the prospect of him playing with JW's band. I'll check with some others when they get back home tomorrow.

17. Sandie

Sandie Computer stained fingers

Thanks for the video Chris. It was nice seeing you, Paul and Steve. Roy was excellent as usual, and it was wonderful to see him so happy - his eyes sparkled and twinkled all the time.

18. Gordie T Geordie

As I suspected, me mate was winding me up, just solo Roy as at Moseley.

A bit strange really, given what JW had said and that both festivals seemed to have arranged their lineups to accommodate some collaboration.

19. Moth

Moth I've got a zappy little nappy

20. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb