1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roy on the radio tonight

Discussion in 'General' started by pd, Aug 29, 2008.

1. pd

pd Slightly Desperate Staff Member

Roy is doing a live radio interview for wfmu-fm (serving New York) tonight at 9:30 pm GMT. It's part of the publicity campaign for the distribution in the USA of some of the records.

http://www.wfmu.org/

May I put in a request for someone to "record" this in case I cock it up :) I can't see it on the schedules mind you...

P.

2. NoCelebrity

NoCelebrity Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Looks Downloadable

I see Roy listed under artists played by Billy Jam since 2002. His show 3-6pm EDT tonight (Friday). RealAudio, MP3, Pop-up Player. All past shows for year plus listed in their archives for Billy Jam.

Did you mean 10:30pm London time? Which is 5:30 pm in NYC, EDT?

No mention of Roy for today's schedule (too brief synopsis).

Last edited: Aug 29, 2008
  3. pd

I don't know, I was told GMT. London time would indeed be 10.30 as we are in daylight savings...

4. pd

May have spoken too soon, looks like it's being rescheduled. So don't blame me if you listen and get nothing useful :blushing:

What I can guarantee is 70 minutes of prime Roy interview on Monday on the podcast... :biggrin:

P.

5. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

So, was he on or not then? And if not, when will he?

6. pd

No, Tracy tells me it's being re-arranged. Seems some of the people over the pond are not exactly well-organised!

7. NoCelebrity

NoCelebrity Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

WFMU seems like a smaller radio station that is bigger on the internet where its edginess is less threatening to the status quo. Independent, appealing to younger listeners, branching out from the artier playlists they heard at college. WFMU may be trying to figure out Roy’s fit with their station and how it will help their image. Other DJs have different music and playlists. They seem to play a lot of material that doesn’t make the big commercial stations because it’s too controversial. That may attract their listeners, probably a loyal core.

DJ Billy Jam plays “Hip-hop and rap. Yeah, that’s where my heart’s at. But any genre will fit as long as it ain’t crap!” Roy seemed to be one of the exceptions on his playlist.

It suggests to me he likes the idea of Roy’s Poetry and Social Consciousness. I thought Billy Jam’s pre-recorded intro was an edgy, angry and humorous mix-up.

Do they want a discussion of “White Man?” or a lighter moment to show their diversity? Roy can do it all, but do they want more than 3-5 minutes?

Your opinion/experience may differ if you visit their site. I never heard of them before.

8. SteveT

SteveT Gracing the Bahamas in see through pyjamas

9. Bob Jacobs

Bob Jacobs Ride away in style

I looked there but didn't see the reference ... Can you be more specific?

Bob

10. SteveT

SteveT Gracing the Bahamas in see through pyjamas

If you scroll right to the bottom (message #4) there is my reference to Roy's recording of Broken Wing for WFMU.

11. Bob Jacobs

Bob Jacobs Ride away in style

Oh yes, so there is :)