1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roy v Religion (and other matters!)

Discussion in 'General' started by HarperPR, Apr 4, 2011.

1. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

Okay, little job for Roy fanatics. :)

Awhile back, got onto a theme of something or other with Lewis from Chapel Club and it ended with me saying he must check out Roy (both being of a literary and poetic persuasion, strong opinions on life, love, the universe etc.) as he hadn't heard of him, although he is a big admirer of Joanna Newsom.

I meant to ask at the time on here for one good recommendation to a Roy song which would be a good intro for a newcomer that best highlights Roy's poetic leaning, but forgot. It came back to mind when I woke up this morning and found - and led onto even more theological debate this morning :D - a raft of tweets from Lew in response to something I had said last night relating to religion and basically stemming from the Louis Theroux doc with the baptists.

I ended saying I would get him onto Roy, who is far more versed than I.

So, folks, can anyone give me a link or two to where Roy has expounded at length on God and the existence of - and/or anything else that might be worth someone taking a look at? I know there is loads, but just 2 or 3 may suffice for now! Oh, and best song (not necessarily relating to same.)

Cheers, honeys x

2. fuzzytnth3

fuzzytnth3 Gracing the Bahamas in see through pyjamas

Roy's Blog posts here and also this post

and just to quote a wee bit to give you a flavour....

I regard religion itself as a plague. At best a collection of barriers to objectivity. Although in it’s milder forms it is benign, much of it is mental disease personified. I started to think like this when I was six years old. By the time I was 15 years old most of my ideas were fully formed. I can admire a way of life such as bhuddism offers, and I can have great respect for anyone with dignity and pacific bearing, but I cannot support the sheer lunacy of religious empire. Under any circumstances. The grand gnashing of the billion teeth of the dogs of faction and hate. Ritualised. Divide and rule.

As for songs.... Death of God comes to mind but maybe more pertinent would be The Spirit Lives or perhaps all the songs on the Stormcock album :)

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  3. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

Thanks, fuzz, have passed that link to the blog on. He is on the road in Europe and always reads reads reads all the time. Roy's blogs alone I think would keep him going, ha!

4. NoCelebrity

NoCelebrity Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

God and Politics (the latest scandal!)

How about my old Song of the Month, "The Game?"

How can you miss with lines like "battery-farming brains for narrow minds?"

It kept me high on Roy for over 20 years until the Internet...

5. Dr_Doom_The_Optimist

Dr_Doom_The_Optimist In a beautiful rambling mess

6. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

If...

'If' is an honest appraisal of the disease diagnosed approaching St Peter and his gates.

Andi