1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roys diary

Discussion in 'General' started by aspwatterson, Jan 28, 2009.

1. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

The sword inside the blade..

http://www.royharper.co.uk/shop/display_page.php?page=diary/entry26

This guy Trevor Hodgett that got Roy's goat recently about the disparaging article in Rock'n'Reel magazine has actually co-written a book called 'Irish Folk, Trad and Blues: A Secret History". It's on Amazon and Google. I ain't buying it out of a certain sort of allegiance. Probably one of these geysers that's good and creating and selling [un]absorbing media content for the masses but doesn't actually create his own creativity.Like the wide eyed promoter - he's a smash! He's a thief, a joker on give-away cash. But guess who is his co-writer? Harper! Of the Colin variety.

I find it quite fascinating that it inspired Roy to make such a spirited diplomatic [almost rude] explanatory defence. There's some life left in the ol' ...! Perhaps there are some out there he'd like to hang[man] after all? Like the washing out on in the garden on an Irish day rinsed by the sweet rainy mist winged from far above? From far above them.

Was going to post this to Mistlethrush originally but probably every one zooms over here anyroad these days through the internet traffic hazards? People usually with problems whom you'd wish to help.

chrs
    andi the non-pimp :hat:

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  2. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

Do we know if he ever received a reply to that letter? Bet it wasn't as lengthy a response if he did!:)

3. Shane

Shane Computer stained fingers

interesting, hadnt seen that diary entry before. its such a short summary of one guys opinion of an album that the response seems a bit unnecessary, then again its not me he's talking about. i do know how hurtful it is to be called a hippy though.

4. aspwatterson

TH?

LPR/

Afterthought....

Have you met this person on your media travels? Mustn't upset the media travelcart circus in case he's lurking here now and licking his wounds from Roy's controlled outburst and takes offence. That's the trouble, if we have to use the media to our marketing purposes you have to live and work with them to some extent. But I bet Roy would never contribute or demean to such a journalistically-tempting-way-to promote himself by getting sucked into such succumbment on principle. Rock'n'Roll magazine will never die....'course it will one day...but Roy's messages will go on and on like the moon and the stars and the sun!

Good way to live your life actually.....Roy's riposteful venom with a pen is adequately sufficient, and more long-lasting, without resorting to violent spontaneous regretful shock and awe death tactics.

andi

5. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

I know RnR's ed, but never come across this name. Most publications are staffed by freelancers, quite often the majority never having done so much as a day's journalism training!:angry:

6. pd

pd Slightly Desperate Staff Member

I read this diary entry a few weeks ago and found it a bit disappointing, because I am a subscriber to said magazine and think it's about the best thing I've found to cover "my" music. Linn is probably right, this smells like a lazy freelancer job.

7. aspwatterson

Rh's diary [cont...]

I did actually mention this on Mistlethrush a while ago, that Roy not classing himself as a Hippie was a bit surprising... someone replied saying he should be termed more as a 'freak'. From distant recall I think the word 'freak' in the Sixties was actually a compliment describing certain people who followed very serious subjects seriously in an underground sort of way to the point of dressing up like their musical stars [or wearing logoed Tshirts to honour their heros] and purely only listening / talking about / addicting / obsessing to a particular type of music / artist whilst collecting their entire canon ignoring a lot of the rest? We used to say in Pompey " Oh don't talk to him he's a Led Zeppelin freak for instance" Sorry Jimmy!

Perhaps 'Hippy Freak' then would be more terminologically exact? Despite my hate in classing anyone in a certain category or music in definitive genres.

I also commented on his honesty especially in PD's interview of him on the Pod. He really does leave the book of his life open for us to read [turn the <jimmy> page] with nothing hidden at all from depressive thoughts to relationship breakdowns to illnesses to money problems etc. etc. More than anyone else who is [in]famous! What a player...but as for his choice of Football team [the light blues BTW PD] that's where I'm afraid we have to part at the Red Sea {Man Utd!}.

chrs
    andi [incurable unmedicated Harper freak]

ps Never forget in the Sixties / Seventies Roy used to invite us backstage for a chat and a smoke after the gigs! How many superstars would do that? None that I know. They actually wanted to meet their audience and get to know and share with them.

pps Luckily, Nick seems similarly blessed in this regard. Coz it's not just about standing on a stage. It's about pinching the next song to plagiarise off us whilst watching us objectively from the stars. Sorry not being cynical but as they watch you they are making song up in their heads about you. I know that coz I do it. Don't we all? Us musicians as the students of life on the moment forever learning on the mo. Great innit?!!?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009