1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roy's set at the Glasgow Concert Hall 20 Sept 2010

Discussion in 'Live Recordings' started by fuzzytnth3, Sep 21, 2010.

1. fuzzytnth3

fuzzytnth3 Gracing the Bahamas in see through pyjamas

If anyone would like to hear the shortened set (sadly due to early curfew of the venue) just PM me and I will send you the link to the m4a files.

Highway Blues
    Frozen Moment
    Green Man
    Me and My Woman

It was recorded on an iPodtouch so not the best quality wise but gives you a flavour of the gig. Also includes the comments about "religious people" that caused one couple with a sense of humour bypass to up sticks and leave to demand their money back.

I also have the encores that Joanna played which I can also send the link to if you are interested.

2. pete c

pete c I've got a zappy little nappy

He's still got it!

3. MickBordet

MickBordet I've got a zappy little nappy

Indeed he has! When so many of his contemporaries have lost or adjusted their voices with age, Roy's came across strong and clear last night.

The curfew thing was pretty strange, I thought. Personally, I'd have much rather had another 20 minutes of RH than the opportunity to spend money on over-priced drinks.

Would anyone else love to hear Roy and Joanna have a bash at 'Another Day'?

A great night with two of my favourite three Harpers.

4. scotpaulabear

scotpaulabear Halfway up my own guitar, propping up another bar

The acoustics in there were STUNNING. I closed my eyes more than a few times and just let the music flow over me... To paraphrase a friend, Roy's set was made of awesome! Really a shame he couldn't have had longer though, stoopid curfews :bored:

Still not sure what I thought of Joanna's set but I'll check out her recordings and see if they grow on me...

And those people were just daft missing such a great night - never mind that Roy could have said something WAY worse without too much effort, he was being relatively tame I thought :wink:

5. Travellerman

Travellerman Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Yes :) (and I hope someone records it if it happens!) Tonight is the last night for the pair of them... I wonder :D

6. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

I'm...

I'm starting to fall in love with JN's music already... it's virginal in all senses, the voice vulnerable, mellow...her sense of humour wicked on stage... and the sound original, well almost.

andi

7. fuzzytnth3

For myself I found it quite hard to make out the lyrics that Joanna was singing, which was frustrating. Whereas with Roy they were very clear. I also have been to to many Roy and Nick gigs so I was a bit freaked out by the lack of chat between songs let alone just introducing the song and explaining why it came to be.

I also wasn't a big fan of the guitar (Fender Thinline), bouzouki, recorder and banjo player's contributions plus the drummer was flippin loud particularly at the beginning of the set. Luckily the later numbers he used his hands instead of sticks so the volume wasn't quite so bad.

I have one of Joanna's CDs, Ys which I listen to occasionally but I'm not sure that seeing her live has persuaded me to buy another CD

8. Allanmcf

Allanmcf I've got a zappy little nappy

I was at the Glasgow gig primarily to see Joanna Newsom but was blown away by Roy. Considering I grew up in the 60's I had never given him a second thought and now realise what I have been missing. I bought Counter Culture that night just to get me started and bought The Green Man next day. All you enthusiasts could perhaps point me in the right direction for my next half dozen or so. Thank Jah for disposable income.

Personally I thought he was exceptionally brave to talk about religion to a Glasgow audience. Philadelphia it ain't!

peace to all!!

9. fuzzytnth3

First up has to be the sublime Stormcock followed by either HQ or (and I am biased as it was the first Roy album I heard) Born In Captivity or if you want to be a bit more mainstream then Folkjokeopus or Bullinamingvase

Basically what I would say is there isn't a dub among any of Roy's albums even the Looney on the Bus or Commercial Breaks have their moments.

I'm sure others more wise and erudite will have their suggestions. All the best on your road of discovery as a Roy Harper virgin :biggrin:

10. SHAUN I

SHAUN I It's so clear on the wings of the dawn

They're all gems I agree, to me each album evokes a different memory in the soundtrack of life. Whatever Happened To Jugular with Jimmy Page is an inexhaustable classic, and Roy's first album Sophisticated Beggar was the stepping stone for me. A great live album for someone starting off on the Harper journey would be In Between Every Line, it gives a great insight into just how good the live gigs were in the 80's, the live version of One Of Those Days In England is one to definitely listen to :m8::sifone:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2010
  11. Shane

Shane Computer stained fingers

I would caution new fans against starting with any of the 80s albums (except for Jugula). I like most of them myself, it just doesnt seem like a good place to start to me.

12. SHAUN I

I think caution is a strong word Shane :biggrin: Ideally it would be good to start at the very beginning in chronological order, but how many Harper fans ever did that? Every fan will have a different running order of albums they listened to from the start of their listening journey, personally it didn't matter to me which order I listened to them, circumstances and fete took care of that. Surely the end result will be to listen to & digest everything eventually anyway. I gave a friend In Between Every Line to listen to many years ago as a first time listener, it has a good cross section of Roy's musical cannon, needless to say he has been a huge fan ever since..

13. Shane

Shane Computer stained fingers

Moderator?

i think we have a loose cannon here

14. scotpaulabear

ROTFL! And that's a surprise? :wink:

15. SHAUN I

Loose cannon? far from it, I did think cautioning beginners not to start with Roy's 80's output was a kind of sacrilege though, my point was, any Harper album is a good place to start in my book :D

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2010
  16. scotpaulabear

I was thinking 'loose cannon' was a compliment, Shaun :D

17. SHAUN I

In that case, cheers Paula x :cheers2:

18. The Monster

The Monster I've got a zappy little nappy

In Shane's defence, the wry observation on the difference between canon and cannon seems to have got lost...

19. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

Also...

...and fete and fate!......

andi

20. SHAUN I

Just noticed the Stella (not stellar) spelling mistakes.:8: