1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roy's Wordpress Blog

Discussion in 'General' started by tharper, May 7, 2010.

1. tharper

tharper She's The One

2. NoCelebrity

NoCelebrity Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

A Voice of REASON!

Thanks for directing my attention, TH1! Seems Roy's written a lot since my last visit.

I'll be getting caught up soon. (Guess I'll have to register for that too, if I want to join in. :wink:) Many Conservatives have played the extreme game over here for decades, but some of our American Liberals like to play that game too.

3. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

And now..

Apart from the pivotal, hopefully unshambolic, latest occurrence in UK political consensus bargaining at the moment; I find it amazing that Germany are complaining at the amount of contribution they have to make to the EU emergency money fund to bail out other Eurozone partners. History has a very short memory of the zillions of destruction Germany wreaked. Does Roy have any open-minded German fans I wonder?

Now Gordon will resign in the Autumn and accepts Liberalism wholeheartedly!? Are we watching Romans trying to retain/gain power at any expense? Lets sell off our remaining Empire to off-shore foreign tycoons and bring on PR so we can vote against all this nonsense making no sense!

Anti-tridently speaking with convergence of all sides asap
    andi

Last edited: May 10, 2010
  4. NoCelebrity

Perfect 20-10 Vision?

I'm somewhat afraid to comment on the British election. Most Americans seem to "accept" our two-party system as part of the Constitution (it isn't) whereas I like to point out Lincoln was the THIRD party candidate (of four parties in 1860) until he WON.

It seems people/politicians/media complain all the time without offering solutions. We seem to complain about everything "the other" is doing to pre-empt their complaints about us. We long for a New World Order until it happens and it isn't what we imagined.

"Majority Rules" is just an ideal, and I think it rarely ever happens. Until someone earns the support of a majority of all voters -- with NOT voting counting as a NO vote -- they do not lead by Majority Rule. As this would seem to prevent most candidates from qualifying for office, it would be a rigorous application process determined by the voters. Knee-jerk solutions would become more difficult to pass, as well as pork-barrel spending.

Our problems have been brewing since the dawn of "planet Earth's proud animal." A government that can't be trusted to balance a checkbook should not be given the keys to the engine of democracy. Greed and incompetence lead to finger-pointing and retribution. More often than not we find a peaceful solution, but we creatures cannot be trusted so blindly without all of us paying the consequences.

Sorry if I put you all to sleep. :blushing: I realize I could've posted this on Roy's page! (I'll copy it for later, before I post here.)

5. The Monster

The Monster I've got a zappy little nappy

Probably going to make myself unpopular here, but....

I have a huge amount of respect for Roy's writings on religion: he takes a scalpel to the pomposity and smugness of those 'blessed' with strong faith and demolishes their arguments with iron logic, sometimes at serious personal risk. His views are deeply considered, rational and, to my mind, irrefutible.

Religion, however, is based on faith, which often means the same as blind hope. Politics, on the other hand, is largely about reason and fact. Hence, you often get apparently equally intelligent people taking polar opposite sides of an argument. In this arena, I think that, while Roy is a worthwhile and serious contributor, his views count for little or no more than the next well informed blogger. I'd much rather he left it alone.

Still, can't wait for tomorrow night, assuming the bastard ash cloud doesn't prevent me from returning from southern France tomorrow!

6. aspwatterson

Yeah..

Yeah, I always assumed Roy was above politics until I heard he supported a certain football team. Whether you like it or not; it is an integral part of us and our society at large, and, is quite fascinating how we all can swarm around Queen Bees like Margaret Thatcher sometimes! The history & biology of our society developing politically is also quite interesting especially when they complete the Genome project and we find out where we all originate from. Roy writes with indepth knowledge and in a fascinating level of philosophical delivery. Thanks Roy, you old bugger, you still seem to be into everything around you as per usual!

chrs
    Andi

7. The Monster

The Monster I've got a zappy little nappy

Just to add some clarity to earlier post:-

Roy can blog about whatever the f**k he likes; in addition to the critiques of organised religion, I really love his anecdotes about life in general: the one about his spontaneous drive to Ireland is a particular favourite; I just don't think his USP (vision, perception, clarity of thought, an ability to effortlessly remove the scales from readers eyes,) extends to the topic of politics.

There are very very few out there worthy of the term 'genius', but I wouldn't hesitate to use it about his lordship. Such devotion sometimes brings with it unrealistic expectations.

I remember saying to him at the last Gathering in Clon that he'd made me look at music differently but also look at life differently; this came out without my even forming the words in my brain, so apologies if it sounds a bit cliched, but it's still how I think.

8. aspwatterson

So..

So Roy was pretty succinctly accurate in his surmises/predictions/predilections/ ruminations then eh? But is Cameron tough enough to handle all this? Doubt it.

Interesting also to see Roy's riposte in a previous blog to some of the spam****e on Internet. You could make a whole thread of these morons who post ignorant ****e,

e.g. this is a classic paradigm of what I'm talking about:

http://www.vnnforum.com/showthread.php?t=92799&page=2

If the geyser[ess] looked up Stormcock he'd be quite surprised at it's ancient bio-classification..Turdus etc...

I remember Roy a while ago sounding off, on a previous traceable blog, at some stuck-up magazine correspondent, and thought....Yeah!

You can tell this twinkle-twat is really thick by having to ask the question! I have a friend who is quite sensitive and when he gets comment/mail which really castigates him he is mortified. You have to have rhinoskin these days through this medium methinks. I'm trying to toughen him up and explain that the more famous you get the more flak jackets you need to wear mentally. I'm going to remain anonymously yours as the unknown soldier. Don't need anything anymore. Quite content in the trenches of my brain spirals. Avoid trouble like the plague.

So politicians must be a breed apart and can handle other people having murderous thoughts about them? To feel safe only when you can go out with bodyguards, must be a strange feeling to begin with, but I suppose you get used to it. Cossetted eventually in the wide warm benches of The House of Lords with a full state funeral guaranteed on this ride.

BTW was not having a go at people of Germanic extraction previously...and thank God we ain't in the Euro!

Just been into a Neil Young forum and there's all sorts of nasty crap also on there by the unconverted. Ignorance is a virtue if you know how to use it. I think even some Americans don't know about the Indian desecration that happened.

Andi

Last edited: May 11, 2010
  9. NoCelebrity

Free Speech. No Limit?

I hope Roy never gives up commenting on politics/religion/society in general. If we can't express our opinions, maybe we shouldn't bother voting either.

Roy is pretty smart when it comes to leaving certain details to the "experts."

10. aspwatterson

My Maggies dead can't get it into my head...

http://www.azlyricdb.com/lyrics/Roy-Harper-Winds-Of-Change-258932#.UWN4Uzf0euk

Wonder if we'll get a blog from Sir Roy regarding this debacle? :>

A x

ps http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoVLbNs4cYU&list=AL94UKMTqg-9BHExrsx54mSGFG9tq7GMJa&index=12

pps Billy Bragg

I was in bed in a hotel in Dublin called Blooms. A friend of mine rang from England and said, "Switch on the telly," so I leaned over and switched it on. And there she was, tearfully resigning. And I must say that cheered me up no end. So I got out of bed and went round the corner for a celebratory fry-up, a full English – or a full Irish, I suppose.

The best thing was that I had a gig that night in Belfast. I came on stage holding the Belfast Telegraph above my head, and said, "She's resigned" – and the place just went mad. The adrenalin running through me, I think I could have done ten rounds with Mike Tyson if he'd been in the dressing room.

Belfast was a great place to be that night – people were literally dancing in the streets. It had an incredible vibe; I just don't think a gig in London would have been the same.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2013