1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seasons Greetings

Discussion in 'General' started by pd, Dec 24, 2010.

1. pd

pd Slightly Desperate Staff Member

Well, it's xmas eve here and I have yet to summon up much festive feeling, but I will probably put the Jethro Tull xmas album on later today. That normally does the trick. I think we'll also be watching the Alastair Sim "Christmas Carol" tonight.

It's been a pretty eventful year for me personally. A high point was obviously getting to launch the new RH shop/site after working on it with Tracy for what felt like many years, and finally getting Roy's material available as digital downloads. The other clear high point was the Jazz Cafe Roy gig, which felt so much like a return to the glory days for me and was definitely the high point musically. I wouldn't want to miss Nick out though - seeing him play at our local venue in Hertford amongst many old friends was brilliant.

I've also been communicating a lot with Nigel Mazlyn Jones as he works on a new record and prepares for much more activity on the live circuit in 2011. Those of you on facebook may already have seen that I've helped him with a modest "fan" page that should help him communicate what he's up to in the coming months. He's a very approachable and caring fellow, a pleasure to connect with.

On the work side things have been very exhausting but also satisfying - I managed to launch some software that was designed and developed by me pretty much single handedly that's had a very good reaction within the company I work for. However money is a lot tighter than previous years, as it probably is for many of us, so there have been various stresses and strains. There are also family difficulties on my wife's side, with her Mum starting to succumb to dementia, that have been very unpleasant and will only get worse next year.

Music acts as a vital relief from all that stuff though and continues to be a huge source of both inspiration and comfort. I'm very proud to be able to give something back, in my small way, to both the artists that inspire so much, and to the rest of you crazy people that share in the amazing music with me.

Here's to 2011.

Paul.

2. Travellerman

Travellerman Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Hey Paul, thanks for all your input over the year. We can compare notes about dementia sometime if you wish, (I have just spent the last year caring for my aunt who is suffering from it) but until then... have a wonderful Christmas :D

3. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

Yes Paul!

Yes Paul,thanks very much for everything. 2011 has been an extremely good year for me! Never thought a Madcap like me would get back into management after many years, controlling 100 people now! Must tell them to listen to Roy Harper in English, Polish, Portuguese and Thai! The high points literally were the stock market closing at a high [sell now??]; Chris doing his mountain climb [has he recovered?], my loving family keeping in loving touch [on Facebook etc.] and seeing Roy at Bristol. Take care and thanks again. Pressie with the tardy Royal Mail; hopefully you'll get it in 2011!

Andi :m2:

ps Do you think they celebrate Xmas on other planets?

4. SHAUN I

SHAUN I It's so clear on the wings of the dawn

Thanks for everything Paul, cheers for all the hard work you put in behind the scenes too, hope everyone has a great Xmas and a prosperous 2011.

5. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
  6. scotpaulabear

scotpaulabear Halfway up my own guitar, propping up another bar

Thank you for being a fantastic Fearless Leader, Paul :biggrin: much love to you and Vicky, and here's hoping 2011 is a peaceful year for all of us...

7. Dr_Doom_The_Optimist

Dr_Doom_The_Optimist In a beautiful rambling mess

Yep, cheers for all your Roy-related efforts this year Paul.

Best wishes to you and yours for twenty-eleven.

+A

8. Wee Steve

Wee Steve Computer stained fingers

Ta, ever so

Thanks Paul, for all you have done, and all you do.

All the very best for 2011: possibly the best others can offer in helping you and your wife cope with her mother's dementia is for you to know that those others are there beside you.

Take it easy.

9. pd

pd Slightly Desperate Staff Member

It arrived today - many many thanks, what a great present.

Andy sent me a custom-printed mug with the picture of Roy drinking a cup of coffee /tea printed on it with the website URL.

10. Roydan

Roydan Computer stained fingers

Keep strong Paul. I've had a similar experience myself. Happy New Year to you and to all 'cockers' on the forum.