1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sheffield Boardwalk

Discussion in 'On Tour' started by HarperPR, Feb 1, 2008.

1. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

Weather holding. No snow is the latest report from our weather person on site!

Critch, get a quick 'feel' report posted here straight after! Take some posters (I shouldn't mention the p and f words really should I! I still can't stop laughing...)

2. critch

critch Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Mightn't be snowing there, but a huge hail storm hit St H this morning - and I've got to clean the garage.... grrr and brrrr!

I shall post as soon as I'm able - bit of a trek back from Shef, and I'm up early to take lil Alan to this sailing thing. I do agree to do daft stuff sometimes. Likely as not, I won't be able to sleep when I get back though cause I'll be so high from the gig - I mean adrenalin high - before the anyone accuses me of intoxicated driving!

3. HarperPR

I am waiting for a pre sales figure here, but if anyone has time in the next 6 hours to get the word out a bit more... There are mentions on various forums. Perhaps local radio?

4. HarperPR

Latest:

Critch - yes, our Critch, my assistant, not the night's star - is being heckled at Sheffield!!!

This sounds like some show...

5. Uriel

Uriel I've got a zappy little nappy

Erm - guilty as charged your honour. I heard he was coming and well...

Been quiet of late but thought I'd pop in. Quality gig. One of the best I've seen of in the last few years. Standing ovation, pretty full and all that.

I should be in Leeds tomorrow, weather permitting.

6. HarperPR

It was YOU then - ha! Had you met before?

Tell more about gig.

And I'd love a gig review for Leeds for one of the online sites.

7. SHAUN I

SHAUN I It's so clear on the wings of the dawn

Linn you might want to keep an eye on the weather reports, I've just looked out of our window here in Preston and we have one and a half inches of snow and what looks like a veritable blizzard. it's certainly grim up north at the moment! :nopity:

8. Uriel

Uriel I've got a zappy little nappy

Erm - nope still never met Crich. Tried to work out who he was but wasn't sure. Spoken on the phone and seen photos but my recognition skills let me down.

Time for bed now though.

9. HarperPR

I did forecast snow for this tour back in early December! Hope Critch and Sarah are okay tonight with driving back.

Critch is a young Tom Cruise lookalike!

10. SHAUN I

SHAUN I It's so clear on the wings of the dawn

And is he only five foot nothing too! :smilielol5:

11. HarperPR

You're back, Critch! Okay, cigarette lit and I'm ready to read. Go!

Last edited: Feb 2, 2008
  12. HarperPR

Hurry up lad!

13. critch

Sorry I missed you Uriel. All that truely freaked me out a little though so I made myself even more inconspicious than I was already trying to be! I was stood with Sarah right in front of the sound booth. It's pronounced CrItch where the I is like in Imaginary, rather than I as in eye. :D

Sarah is staying in Sheffield with a friend - hence the sudden change in plan! Happy coincidences! Unfortunately we had to leave during Headless/Love is Music as I was worried about the weather, and I still had to deliver Sarah to the intended destination. Sorry Nick! I won't do it again...promise!

Driving back was a bit of a nightmare! That road to manchester was in snow - not too much, just a light cover, but the blizzarding conditions are a little mesmerising. Anyways, back safe and sound, if a bit knackered.

This was the first time I've seen Nick since he went to Everest and it was interesting to say the least. His shows in the past for me have always been inspired, inspiring and most of all focused. The Nick on stage knew what life was about. He'd learnt off his dad and all the other legendary figures whom he was surrounded by growing up. The man had a handle on it and knew where he was going and why. But that has changed.

The Nick on stage tonight again knew why he was there, but it was for completely different reasons. He took us on a journey, sometimes through song, but mostly with his brilliant interjections. He told us about the trip, what he saw, and sometimes what he had learnt. His priorities had been realigned, and quite dramtically. The most moving moments for me in the gig were in songs where he felt there was a increased connection with the subject. Imaginary friend was fantastic and heartfelt, as was Real Life. I feel though that we'll only get a sense of his new found priorities when a new album is released. One written with those experiences in mind and expressed, through song, by the truely skillful and soulful craftsman which he is.

14. HarperPR

Mmm, sounds rather in same vein as November gigs: more reflective and measured than of old. Was Simple in? Communication? Glad to hear he's put back LIM. What was reception like from crowd?

15. HarperPR

Could you wrap that up in a review? Did you find Debbie? This review has been commissioned, so if I have something from either/both of you I can work around it.

How would you rate tonight alongside what you've seen before?

16. critch

No Truth up in the Mountains
    3 Magpies
    Aeroplane
    Radio Silence
    Guitarman/some kitchen blues number when the kit stopped working properly/whole lotta love
    Real Life
    By my Rocket comes Fire
    Treasure Island
    (Grr Didn't know this! Not sure why I didn't cause he said it was off treasure Island, think my brain has gone warped, had the words "changed your mind" in it quite a lot!)
    Field of the Cloth
    Simple
    Imaginary Friend
    Evo
    Love is Music/Headless/Grace and then sadly I had to leave! Grrrness!

17. HarperPR

Magpies - ex. Did last tour. Silence, good. The TI one would have been Good Bus - not often included, if ever?

18. critch

I think he had a bit of a shakey start. The effects and stuff didn't kick in. He kept running out of beer (!) so I don't think he built up a rapport with the audience as quickly as he might have - but after Real Life, I think he got more focussed and things became better. I don't think they had him turned up loud enough, I really thought it was too quiet. Nearly said something, but then I remembered how annoyed I used to get when people told me to turn things up when I was in that job.

Personally, I don't think that 2 slowish songs to start the gig is a great idea - but it depends who you're aiming at. I think to grab those in the crowd who aren't aware of your music, you need something faster and louder and altogether more "in your face" I think that's where things like Karmmageddon were great, especially when he sequed in other mad stuff.

But this all said, it was a great performance and show, and I was most definately gutted to leave early, so I think that says it all.

19. critch

I know it's bad form to quote one's self, but I think I think far too much!

20. HarperPR

Why did you let him run out of beer? That is part of your roadie duties!