1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sheffield Boardwalk

Discussion in 'On Tour' started by HarperPR, Feb 1, 2008.

1. critch

critch Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

If I couldn't have a beer, I sure as hell wasn't gonna let him have one... :biggrin:

2. critch

I'll have it on your desk in the morning. :gnorsi:

3. Uriel

Uriel I've got a zappy little nappy

Crich - Sorry about the mispronounciation (and potential embarrasment). I wasn't expecting Nick to pick up on it. Well he did - and there were many references to a misprounouced Crichley. It did occur to me after the event you might not appreciate it but it was a bit too late. Ahh well - I guess you've got a vague idea of what I look like now for future reference.

Just to fill in gaps in the setlist - the song Crich didn't recognise was Good Bus. There was a bit of Led Zep's Four Sticks thrown into the Love is Music Medley. Nick finished it all off with Blue Sky Thinking for his Encore.

I suppose I can squeeze in something of a mini-review...

I arrived fairly late, towards the end of the support act's set. This was the first time I've ever been to a Harpic gig and not caught the support. Pleasingly, the audience figure was already a lot more healthy than the last boardwalk gig, with more people coming through the doors right up to the start of Nick's set. There were plenty of people I didn't recognise from previous gigs. The audience was receptive, with the vast majority becoming more attentive and clearly enjoying themselves as the gig went on.

Nick started his set with 'No Truth Up in the Mountains' but introduced it with a clarification: "actually there is truth up in the mountains". This set the tone for Nick's topic for exposition throughout the gig: his recent trip to Nepal for the LoveHopeStrength Foundation. It's been a few months since his trip but he's clearly reflected on it a lot. I saw Nick in Derby shortly after he came back from the trip. He was clearly affected by the experience at the time and was very keen to talk about it. He'd given what I can best describe as a very 'honest' performance, pouring something of what he was going through into it. Last night was was the better performance musically though: his voice sounded in better shape and his guitar playing was much more polished.

By the third or fourth song in, I realised that this was one of the better Harpic gigs I've been to. I always enjoy Nick's gigs but sometimes, having seen him on numerous occasions, I've been known analyse what he's doing rather too much. This time, by about half way through, I was mesmerised. It felt very much like the first few times I'd seen him, when I didn't really analyse what he was doing and just watched and listened in awe, with a big grin on my face.

Musical highlights for me were Radio Silence Real Life, Simple and Evo. Simple particularly takes on a completely different dynamic as a live performance compared to the studio version. With Evo, Nick mentioned it was a while since he'd played it but found his feet quickly and then treated us to a wonderful rendition, clearly appreciated by the crowd.

The set finished with a typically energetic rendition of Love is Music, a medley sweeping through a few of Nick's songs, as well as covers of Jeff Buckley's Grace and Led Zeppelin's four sticks. As Nick brought this epic to an end, many of the crowd rose to their feet in applause. This brought about the quickest encore I've ever seen Nick do: no disappearance off stage, just enough time pick up the guitar again, a few words then straight into Blue Sky Thinking for the encore. I left very happy and having made up my mind to definitely see him again the following night in Leeds.

4. scotpaulabear

scotpaulabear Halfway up my own guitar, propping up another bar

Good Bus?
    GOOD BUS?!?

:w00t: :hurray: :thumbup: :svengo:

Okay, that gets me a wee bit excited haha...

Back in a bit to read the other reviews - I have a Big D to send off to the footie ya know...

5. scotpaulabear

Back again - thanks guys, I am loving this so far :biggrin:

6. critch

Here's a photo for you! Should it upload ok!

Attached Files:

7. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

I had said it was Good Bus in post #17!

Good overview Critch and Uriel. Could I use?

8. scotpaulabear

I know! Was just getting excited!

Critch, thanks for the pic, hair's looking fine, I can relax now LOL.

9. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

Old Welsh coalminer's saying....

There may be snow on roof me boyo!
    But there's still a fire raging in t'hearth below!
    Butt!!

aw:w00t::sifone::gnorsi:

10. HarperPR

Did anyone take photos here? Anything decent, please email me: HarperPR@hotmail.co.uk

Critch, can you send me yours too. And the review - it's not on my desk yet!

11. Uriel

Uriel I've got a zappy little nappy

Yep, no problem.

12. critch

My photos are rubbish. I left my camera in the car in the mad rush to the gig - Sheff is a nightmare, everythings called something hill. Sat Nav got me there in the end, but it took me the wrong place at first. It's a cheap version and it only uses the first 5 digits of the postcode which meant I was round the corner in some deserted cobbled streeted scary place. Had to google it (on t'inter-wap!) and look up the street name. Anyway, the upshot of it is that my photos were taken with digital zoom on my phone, which means they're probably less than 0.3MP which is decidedly rubbish.

Oh yes, the review! Now if you look carefully, I posted that comment on the morning of the 2nd, so "in the morning" meant 3rd! lol. Sorry! Feel free to use anything I've posted about it though if you wish.

13. HarperPR

Pedant!

Morning's only morning after you've been to bed!

I am waiting to see what Debbie has, but with some 'additional reporting' I think we can get 3 good reviews.

The pic up here - can't u send?

14. Green Man

Green Man Guest

Fantastic, fantastic night last night - one of the best Harpic gigs I've ever seen...:D

15. critch

I don't feel like I've been to bed. I'm completely f****d. On the other hand, it was worth it, and Alan sailed well today so came back happy.

16. HarperPR

Yes, but what about the pictures?! I can try the Boardwalk themselves I guess as well. Were there any professional looking paps in?

17. fickle_Witch

fickle_Witch Guest

i have pix, want me to email em over to you linn??

18. HarperPR

Please. Although was he wearing same clothes? Might be useful elsewhere. Really for a Sheffield gig we need images from, well, Sheffield!

19. fickle_Witch

fickle_Witch Guest

i believe so, looking at the pic posted already :D
    will email best 2 over and see what cha think :)

20. critch

Right, I've sent mine - and a review! Are you impressed? Can I post it here?