1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sheffield Star gig review

Discussion in 'Press and Media' started by HarperPR, Feb 5, 2008.

1. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

I don't have a link at present, but the live gig review of the Boardwalk gig was in tonight's edition.

2. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

This is the Star gig review

NICK HARPER THE BOARDWALK 1/2//08

Nick Harper has recently returned from the Himalayas after helping break the record for the world’s highest gig. Before you jump to the most obvious conclusion of rock star excess or hippy dippy voyages of self discovery, think again. This was a trip with a mission - the Love, Hope, Strength Foundation - a campaign set up to fight cancer world wide. Amongst other things the gig in Nepal has helped provide the first proper cancer treatment in that country. The expedition was clearly a life changing event for Harper and it has made him distinctly pensive and reflective.

As ever he delivered a superbly crafted set, assimilating old and new favourites, slower thoughtful songs with searing pyrotechnic numbers. The set pulls songs mostly from his recent albums and refreshingly there are rare outings for the lilting genius of Evo and the atmospheric Good Bus. His famous in between song banter was dominated by an episodic reporting of his recent epiphany in Nepal but is still tinged with his legendary off the wall humour and quirky take on life.

Of course Harper wouldn’t be allowed to leave the stage if he didn’t play certain songs which have become staple food to Harper aficionados so Aeroplane and an endearingly shambolic Guitar Man are duly wheeled out. During Guitar Man his effects pedal played up leaving our hero needing to quickly improvise leaving the audience t with the unforgettable image of Harper giving the said pedal the finger at the end of the song like some 21st century Basil Fawlty! A marathon and incredibly physical Love Is Music/Headless leaves Harper visibly drained. And he finishes the set with the chilled out optimism of Blue Sky Thinking . There is no encore but nobody could expect one from a man who has given his all yet again.

Mark Finnigan