1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some live stuff I found on cassette

Discussion in 'Live Recordings' started by webbyla, Aug 31, 2008.

1. webbyla

webbyla Computer stained fingers

Whilst looking for the 3 semi official Red Lion tapes I found some other tapes I forgot I owned.

Sessions 1974 - I think this is probably BBC sessions
    Roy Harper 1975 -
    Glastonbury 81 -
    Priory Folk Club 21.2.83
    St Annes 21-5-84
    24-11-84 with Jimmy Page
    + 1 more

I seem to remember the quality wasn't great for any of these. Maybe that is why I forgot about them.

I can list the songs if anyone is interested.

2. LAdrain

LAdrain I've got a zappy little nappy

I have just copied the following from some old cassettes onto the PC.

Montgomery Hall - Wath-Upon-Dearne - 6.10.84
    Rock Garden - Covent Gardens - 24.11.84
    Pissed Up North ??

Don't know much about "Pissed up North", but it does have a rather large set list on the cassettes.
    Hangman was only 2 weeks old and he played a small sample.
    Nice recording, but cannot find it on Aaro's site.

3. Musicnaut

Musicnaut I've got a zappy little nappy

Could it be this one:

[...]

1983-10-09, The Leadmill, Sheffield, UK

A 160-minute soundboard recording exists with Tom Tiddler's Ground, The Unknown Soldier, The Same Old Rock, Twelve Hours Of Sunset, Jack Of Hearts, Me And My Woman, Commune, Another Day, Elizabeth, South Africa, Hangman, Highway Blues, Nineteen Forty-Eightish, When An Old Cricketer Leaves The Crease, One Man Rock And Roll Band, McGoohan's Blues and North Country.

[...]

I love this recording although it's far from perfect... One of the very first Roy bootleg tapes I managed to get hold of. There's very early versions of Hangman & 1948ish. I have heard about "Pissed Up North" before and I've always wondered maybe it's this show?

4. LAdrain

LAdrain I've got a zappy little nappy

Looks like it. Many thanks.

The recording is 166:26 in length.

1984 (Nineteen Forty-Eightish) is after The Unknown Soldier and is read as a poem, so may not have been included in the setlist, but it is on the cassettes setlist. The actual song is after Highway Blues, but Roy was not sure if it was the third or second verse.
    Quite a few errors! on the cassette with tracks labeled under different names (The Question, Hands Across the Water, 1984, Old Soldier).

5. the_flycatcher

the_flycatcher I've got a zappy little nappy

Yeah I have about 8 or so live shows on cassette, some of which have been listed here. Some are just as obscure. One day (soon) I'll transfer them to CD. Can't even play cassettes now my Punto gave up the ghost

Meanwhile anyone out there heard any news of Roy playing live anywhere? Clonakilty even (surely he must now and again?)

6. pd

pd Slightly Desperate Staff Member

Nope. He hasn't played anywhere recently, at all. Sorry :(

7. Cardinal Doomsday

Cardinal Doomsday I've got a zappy little nappy

I recently found a few old cassettes that i copied onto the computer mainly:

Leeds irish center 1986
    the pissed up north/leadmill tape [2 x c90]
    rockpalast 1978 [in mono and original stereo if you haven't heard this tape it has the best version of the game ever]
    a mp3 version of the video [live in your living room]
    and a compilation called "One man rock and roll band" that seems to be various bits and bobs from youtube and cambridge ect.
    Still looking for made on dvd if anyones got one......

8. Travellerman

Travellerman Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

I think I've got the Rockpalast on DVD somewhere?

As for the mp3 'Live in you living room' I wouldn't mind a copy of that! :D

9. amgard

amgard Guest

I've got Made on DVD, that is transferred from a VHS cassette that was recorded from ITV - so the quality isn't all you would hope - but it's all I've got.