1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Something interesting...

Discussion in 'Anecdotes' started by HarperPR, Feb 1, 2008.

1. critch

critch Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Found this emoticon before and I was wondering where I could use it, but here'll do!!

:23:

The similarity to barry chuckle is quite alarming I think you'll agree!

2. scotpaulabear

scotpaulabear Halfway up my own guitar, propping up another bar

Greatest. Emoticon. EVER. :wink:

3. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

I thought it was Amy Winehouse...:biggrin:

4. Barry

Barry Computer stained fingers

Or Amy Crackhouse.

5. Friar Snig

Friar Snig Computer stained fingers

It would be about ten years ago now (wow, an unintentional RH song title so early in this post, I wonder if there'll be any more?) when I was stood at the queue to check in at Schiphol airport, after a three day long binge in Amsterdam with a large group of friends. Some people call them a 'stag do', Aussies call it a 'buck's party', but in this case I think 'binge' is appropriate. The delights of the 'Dam had been well and truly sampled (well most of them).
    Back to the queue. As I stood there in a daze I happened to look behind me, and there lurching above me was an extremely dishevelled Jeremy Clarkson, the TV guy. Unable to convince myself that it was indeed him, I tapped my buddy in front on the shoulder and asked him if he felt able to confirm that it was indeed the man I thought it was. My friend was at that stage in a far more exuberant mood than I, and turning to look he exclaimed "F*** me! It's Jeremy Clarkson!" in a loud voice, at which the rest of our group in front all turned to make similar exclamations.
    I had to feel sorry for the man. He was quite obviously the worse for wear (a hard day's filming I expect), yet here he was being harangued by a bunch of cheerful men.
    To his credit, he took it all in his stride and even accepted the offer of a beer in the bar where he mumbled a few words to us, and posed for the odd photo or two.
    Mr Clarkson's flight was called, he said his goodbyes, and set off across the departure lounge towards his gate. It was at this point that one member of our party shouted across the hall...

"Nice one Jeremy, you look like you've been on Top Gear!"

6. telemonster

telemonster I've got a zappy little nappy

how's this?

when my best mate, andy, lived in london he shagged a lass, who'd shagged a lad, who'd shagged KYLIE MINOGUE! when he told me, i was like, 'wow, that's like you've nearly shagged kylie', and he was like., ' yeah, but i'm nearer to having shagged that guy, though!'

i agree with lemmy when he said 'you should NEVER meet your heroes!

7. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

Missing link

This most must be a missing thread which should have carried onto eternity...bet Linn and Big Chris have too many to recount to get involved/bothered [why doesn't she write her autobiography on the famosity/funny snippets that she has been surrounded with?]...

Meeting Roy after many years hence "Are you Andrew Watterson?"

Meeting Roy previously " So you've been following me for 35 years then?"

Meeting Nick " Nah yer alright mate!"

Meeting Jeffrey Archer when I told him he had a very intense face pointing at his wrinkles "Oh do I?"

My Middle East Sales Director's [Cyril Hodgson RIP] impassive, quizzical reaction when I said drinking Southern Comfort was too sophisticated for him.

Patrick Moore's last pronouncement at his Cosham Tech lecture in the Seventies "There is other life out there, might not look the same as you and me, but it exists without a shadow of doubt, get used to it"

Trevor Bayliss, inventor of clockwork Radio "I have approximately 500 Patents registered and half of them are military".

Richard Branson replying to my idea about marketing his smile worldwide for the Virgin empire, by measuring digitally the smiliest city in the world, by walking down streets with cams recording. Then the friendliest winning cities beam up a laser smiley face to Virgin Gallactica. Received several letters from him and his cohorts eventually, and the last was something like "Fantasatic idea, but a bit off tangent for us at the moment, as we have to now concentrate on maintaining our current businesses". My view was not really commercially orientated at all, just trying to make the world a happier place btw.

List goes on...must be the cheekiness in me...

c/a

Last edited: May 28, 2009
  8. HarperPR

Gosh, Andi, you could do your own book! Are you starting a collection.

I have a few things that have been said to me...but probably too X-rated for here.

What about embarrassing/foot-in-mouth moments? Just come to mind as a well known journo today tweeted about Depeche Mode cancelling show and made a comment...to later find that it's because Dave Gahan is having surgery for a cancerous bladder tumour. Not good. Think he regretted that.

My worst of recent years...meeting Phil Etheridge for first time and standing there copying his Brummie accent back to him, till I realised and started blushing! Thought he was gonna tell me to do one. He didn't! (I do have a thing - I think it's a bit of a Tourettes thing - about accents: hear a good one, I have to try it, there and then. It's not to be rude, just hearing the sounds and compelled to try and recreate. Pete and Sadfish can attest to my 'Scouse Nick fan' one - haha!).

Last edited: May 28, 2009
  9. pete c

pete c I've got a zappy little nappy

hah! Can I borrow that for an album title (la?) :biggrin:

10. fuzzytnth3

fuzzytnth3 Gracing the Bahamas in see through pyjamas

My daughter Mhairi and I also suffer from this we call it "wandering accent syndrome". Like you say we tend to mimic other different accents of people we meet.

As my kids were brought up in Dunfermline in Fife which has it's own accent including west and east versions yet I had been brought up in Essex and Sussex and so the kids at home would speak like me but at school they would speak with a Fife accent.

11. aspwatterson

When

Whenever I came out of Saudi month long visits my wife used to ask me why I was speaking with an American ARAMCO accent. Accents are very vicariously contagious and can change with the wind of your thorax; depending on who you're mixing with. Still annoys me that I can't negate the Taff twang having spent so many years there. Even Croppers thought I was blooming Welsh boyo! I do love some of the Northern accents mind, which sound so soft and caring....Boltonese for example.

Friends Reunited has just reminded me that Alan Pascoe used to go to Southern Grammar School Pompey. Bet none of you remember him then?

c/a

12. telemonster

telemonster I've got a zappy little nappy

i tend to soak up accents and slang whenever i go to new places or meet people. i'm sure lots of people do it subciously...unconciously... after a drink or 5..

i do love regional variations in accents and language, though!

13. aspwatterson

Just to...

Just to spark this thread up a bit...lighting a fuse...

[youtube]u8m8nHvct50[/youtube]

Roy mentioned in comments...etc.

and, 1966 revisited live.....

[youtube]xO0gSJGJ7Fs[/youtube]

c/a

14. HarperPR

mmm...yes. As long as I get a credit for 'inspiration'.:D

15. NoCelebrity

NoCelebrity Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

No Accent

I had a Speech Professor who was able to correctly guess what High School I went to on the basis of my accent, which she described as virtually no accent, or Midwest Dictionary (American) English. Most Network news anchors have worked in Chicago News at some point just to practice our almost perfectly bland accent.

Da Bears Fans accent is far more common now than it was before they introduced it on SNL during the Ditka era (The "T" in Ditka is silent, especially when choking on a slab of pork ribs or having a mild myocardial infarction).

Jealous I am, so naturally I steal all sorts of silly accents when I'm bored...
    It's the Jedi way of poking fun. Yoda try it some time...:biggrin:

16. robert-tree

robert-tree Guest

I once met Brian Jacks...........

When I was at school(secondary), I met Brian Jacks- remember him? He used to be on T.V in the '80s, briefly, but I can't remember the name of the program.....I think he was a champion at judo, or suchlike? Maybe someone else does? Anyway, to cut a long story short, I had my photo taken with him, as did many of my classmates........never be allowed now??????!! Ah, the innocence of youth......mmmmmm......:chillpill:

17. SHAUN I

SHAUN I It's so clear on the wings of the dawn

I remember him well, he was a World Champion in Judo, and the Superstars Champion,

18. SteveT

SteveT Gracing the Bahamas in see through pyjamas

Brian Jacks

Nobody could thrust their squats like Brian. Of course, Superstars brought us one of the iconic moments of television when K*vin Ke*gan tottered around on that bicycle.

19. Barry

Middle distance runner if my memory serves me right?

20. Barry

Nearly as funny as when he lost it as Newcastle manager with his famous "I'll love it...." rant.

I have to admit to quite liking KK despite his connections with the vile village.