1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spiders

Discussion in 'Site Suggestions' started by HarperPR, Mar 26, 2008.

1. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

What are these Google Slurp Spiders and Yahoo Slurp Spiders I often see on here? And how does a Spider differ from a Guest?

2. fickle_Witch

fickle_Witch Guest

it has more legs :leaving: :leaving:

3. critch

critch Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

:rotflmao:

4. pd

pd Slightly Desperate Staff Member

They are auto indexing "bots" that enable google and yahoo web search to include the forum posts in search results. The Yahoo one seems to have gone a bit mad recently as it's had 20 bots crawling through the posts from time to time. I can choose not to show them in the online count but I like to have a vague idea of what's going on in case the site slows down at any time...

5. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

Botologically speaking..

Well.well, learned another word today 'bot' butt!

" Bots perform tasks that are both simple and structurally repetitive at a much higher rate than would be possible for a human alone"

Now if I ever get hitched again that will definitely have to be her endearing love-nickname in the kitchen and elsewhere!

Robotterson :wink:

Last edited: Apr 19, 2008
  6. critch

lol. Don't tell her this before you get hitched cause it might never happen if you did! Alternatively, get it in the prenup that you can. :biggrin:

7. HarperPR

So aren't spiders and bots and stuff real people then?:confused1:

8. critch

no! They just pick out info for the search engines. For example if one might search on clover and billie piper, the bots/spiders will have already identified any pages which mention those things. Lol.

9. HarperPR

Well I doubt they'd find any that mentioned those two together.:m18::conehead:

10. SHAUN I

SHAUN I It's so clear on the wings of the dawn

When building web pages the more Key words included the higher your site features in various search engines, these bots (robots) process information instantly. When a search is activated it takes literally seconds to search and return each registered website's results..Clever stuff! :cursing:

11. HarperPR

What is a Slurp Spider doing when it's 'Viewing Conversation'? Sounds like GCHQ at work - we're being bugged!:biggrin:

12. wobbly bob

wobbly bob I've got a zappy little nappy

13. aspwatterson

14. scotpaulabear

scotpaulabear Halfway up my own guitar, propping up another bar

Andi! Seriously! I may not want to moderate you, but should I make you lie down in a cool dark thread somewhere and sleep it off? :confused1:

15. NoCelebrity

NoCelebrity Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Technically, what andi said is a double entendre. Unless you want to mod his smilie.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2008
  16. aspwatterson

I was refering to...

I was refering to the cats that look like Hitler site recommended by the previous respondent! Nothing else! Honest!

andi :wink:

17. NoCelebrity

NoCelebrity Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Proves you can find anything on the internet... :biggrin: