1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spruce-up on main site

Discussion in 'Site Suggestions' started by pd, May 8, 2008.

1. pd

pd Slightly Desperate Staff Member

As you may have noticed I've redesigned the main site at www.stormcock.net. I like the rounded edges and the leaner look. The most significant change has been to remove the right hand column altogether, to give much more room on the main section for pictures and the like. I think this will also clear up a long standing problem with users that are still using Internet Explorer version 6 (you really should upgrade to firefox!).

I removed some of the "blocks" that were previously on the right hand side, including "current forum topics", and "The Roy Harper podcast" - in the latter case I've added a new top menu item since it's an important part of the site.

Any suggestions/bug reports are of course welcome.

2. Bob Jacobs

Bob Jacobs Ride away in style

I wasn't automatically logged in to forums when I logged in to stormcock.net. This hasn't been working properly for a couple of days.

That said, I think the new design is going to work well, once I've got used to it.... I now have to scroll down the screen to find the Recent Posts link, though, which used to be conveniently near the top right hand corner of my screen. Now it's way down on the left ....

Well done, anyway.

Bob

PS I also have to scroll down merely to log in... Second time tonight, I have been automatically logged in to the Forum.

Last edited: May 8, 2008
  3. pd

I'm still working on the site->forum code, it should be 100% reliable soon :)

I agree regarding "Recent Posts", I use that all the time as well. So I've put a link on the main bar at the top for it. Hopefully that'll help.

Paul.

4. Bob Jacobs

Definite improvement tonight, Paul. Logging in worked for both bits and Recent Posts was much easier to find. You're a star!

Bob

5. Bob Jacobs

Paul, I spoke too soon, as this evening I had to log in separately. Does this have to do with having logged out separately last night? Furthermore, the Last Posts logic doesn't seem to be working as on logging into the Forums I was advised that there had been no new posts since I last logged in, but there have been quite a lot today ...

6. pd

That would normally indicate that you visited the forum from another machine earlier in the day that has the cookie for your username, and thus got the forums marked as being seen. Do you have more than one machine?

I never log out personally.. but if you log out of the forums, it only affects the forums. Logging out of the main site does both. Or at least it's supposed to.

You might have an old cookie lying around affecting things. If your browser lets you, try deleting all cookies from stormcock.net then logging in again. Maybe that'll stick.