1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

St Helens Citadel

Discussion in 'On Tour' started by HarperPR, Jan 24, 2008.

1. pete c

pete c I've got a zappy little nappy

I thought the guy who shouted out "Thomas!" :confused1: and the woman shouting out completely unintelligible stuff in a voice like Zelda from Terrahawks, were funnier. :biggrin:

2. Craig_Powers

Craig_Powers I've got a zappy little nappy

Tits with too much beer

The heckling incident was odd.

They clearly knew something of Nick's music because they were shouting for Titties & Beer. They paid good money to see Nick but just chose to shout him down instead of listening. It prevented him from introducing the songs via his Everest experiences, and moving through the set-list.

It wasn't as though they had taken a £10 punt on tickets, hated the show and decided to heckle.

Now how can I put this tactfully without causing offence? .... As you get closer to Liverpool the audiences tend to be a bit more 'interactive'. Its the first rule of nature that the first heckler will be a scouser, and that's OK because it's good natured and adds to the interactivity that we expect at a Harper gig (whether Nick or Roy).

But last night was way beyond that. I suspect they had been on a football-induced all day bender.

The bouncer who ejected them got a huge applause nearly as much as Nick got. And plenty wanted to shake his hand.

Anyway, a good night. A few different songs compared to Manchester of last week. No issues with the Apple Mac....all seemed to go OK.

And good to meet up with PeteC, Sadfist, Critch & Linn, plus that Nick geezer.

Craig

3. Sadfish

Sadfish I've got a zappy little nappy

Sadfist?

:rofl::rofl:

4. Craig_Powers

whoooops

Whooooooooops. Didn't spot that typo error!.......I knew what I meant to type....

Sorry for making your name sound like a bizarre sexual practice.

Craig

5. Sadfish

Alexei Sayle once said, "There is a street in St Helens, where the scouse accent dissapears and the Lancashire accent begins, it's literally somewhere in one street,we're loud and gobby and they are calm and reserved".

When you do something, anything in St Helens, you will always get some gobby get shouting you down usually in a tracky and with a scally accent, it's what makes St Helens such a tough place to grow up and live, and thats why I moved to Southport :)

But at the same time the vast majority of the audience where listening intently to the stories Nick was saying, it's just that the scallies probably don't know where Nepal is never mind care about people struggling to survive there, I mean, have you been to Parr?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2008
  6. critch

critch Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

I was positively embarrassed by the idiots in my home town last night. I'm usually the first to admit that it's not the best place in the world, but that was uncalled for and unexpected.

But for all that, nick did a fine job.

7. Sadfish

Critch, don't be embarrassed for them, just ignore them, I don't mind the heckling to be honest, and Nick spawns it often, he seems to enjoy the interaction more than some of the audience do, he takes people like that on as a challenge.

I'm certain he likes coming up to the St Helens and Liverpool areas cos it's always a crazy gig, matches his style I guess in some ways. I've not been to a Harper gig that hasn't had any heckling involved tbh.

As Craig picked up on this though, why pay good money only to make and arse of yourself? I can only assume they get in for concessionary.

In saying this though, usually the lack of an encore usually means that an artist has had enough ;) (although he doesn't always do them anyhow)

8. Craig_Powers

Nick handled it really well. He didn't appear to get too rattled, but must have been frustrated.

I was up in the balcony so didn't realise it was just an isolated 2 or 3 who were doing the shouting. However those 2 or 3 seemed to encourage more heckling. Once they went it settled down.

9. jonah

jonah I've got a zappy little nappy

I was most impressed with the heckler when if he asked whether anyone would like to join him in leaving in protest because Nick wouldn't play his favourite tune. I was even more impressed with the reply that the rest of us gave him!!

10. critch

They had front row seats and everything! Weirdos!

Nick seems to plough his entire soul into every gig. Saw him at the end of the night, and he looked, putting it politely, completely f****d!

It was absolutely smashing to meet all of yous. Craig - you're a star and "chauffeur to the stars"! :biggrin:

Highlight again, if it's possible to pick an individual song from them, was Real Life, again. He's really getting into the heart of that song. A couple of tours ago, it was Blood Song that he nailed each night, then I think last year it was Love Junky, and now Real Life. That said, the Channel M version of it last year was particularly haunting.

Who was the person who shouted out "Are you warmed up yet?"? Bit of a geeky joke but it did make me laugh - and I'm fairly sure Nick got it too. Wish I'd thought of shouting it!

Delighted at the inclusion of Karmageddon. That was how I remember Nick when I first saw him back in 2000 (?). Loads of energy and vigour. I love the pensive songs, but I do feel sometimes the best cure is always to hit it as hard and fast as possible!

11. HarperPR

HarperPR My destiny offers me up like a lamb

Hello Critch - guess where I am???:confused1:

Central Library just over from LS! Very convenient. I am off to Costa then off to Euston! Thanks for a great weekend and it was super to catch up with everyone here and there, and everywhere!

12. HarperPR

13. critch

Love it! Didn't realise there was a library in Liverpool. :w00t: Are you the only one in there? :D

You're welcome. Glad you enjoyed it.

14. HarperPR

It was good. Got a free computer hour, did some work, filed my copy (hurrah, finished at last). Now just exited back out of Joe's tunnels and homeward bound!

15. critch

I hope you asked joe first before entering his tunnells! Byeee

16. Green Man

Green Man Guest

Edited to avoid confusion - particularly that of the poster!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2008
  17. SHAUN I

SHAUN I It's so clear on the wings of the dawn

Really enjoyed the Citadel gig last night, despite the 3 drunks in the front row. They were determined to be thrown out from the start and showed a total lack of respect for the man when he was telling the crowd about his experiences. That said, what a show he has a distinct style made all his own, brilliant haunting vocal range and guitar acrobatics I'm sure cannot be equalled. Also witnessed 2 string changes mid-song unbelievable.

I went with 3 mates who were mightily impressed, and we had a brief chat with him at the end shook his hand and got some cds signed, a very down to earth guy, this was my first Nick solo gig I've seen him play with his dad but this was a different ball game altogether, a high energy music fest is the best I can describe it.

It was also nice to meet Linn and Critch albeit very briefly, a brilliant gig and 3 new Nick Harper converts.:cheers2:
    Favourite tracks of the evening Karmageddon and Simple..

Goodbye old boy have a good gig:sifone:

18. griff

griff I've got a zappy little nappy

Citadel gig

Hi, This is my first post here, and I feel I have to post an email about last nights gig.
    I really enjoyed the gig and can't believe how quick it went!.
    I will be going to see Nick again whenever he is in the area.
    I was embarressed by the antics of the 3 special people and would like you all to know that they don't represent the whole town.
    Cheers.

19. Craig_Powers

Critch, and next time I promise not to chat up your girlfriend's mum. (An unfair accusation!)
    C :)

20. Sadfish

I would just like to point out that none of the people in the photo below where forceably ejected from the Citadel.

[​IMG]