1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[tab] Field of the Cloth of Gold

Discussion in 'Words and Music' started by fuzzytnth3, Feb 3, 2008.

1. fuzzytnth3

fuzzytnth3 Gracing the Bahamas in see through pyjamas

Been wanting to suss this out for a while but with one thing and another tonight is the first time this year that I've had a quiet moment with the guitar and Miracles.

I'm playing it in normal tuning as I don't have any piano strings and such like as our Nick does :) It's barr chords all the way and if you value the skin on your right index finger I would use a plectrum (i don't have a plectrum here so I've lost some skin :cursing:) To emulate what Nick does you need to strum both down and up on each chord, ie you gotta play it bloody fast :w00t: this is except for the "D (2nd position) E (2nd position) back to A" at the end of the progression. Anyhoo here is the tab

A, G#, F# E, D (2nd position) E (2nd position) back to A and then repeat

until you get to "The first day was done" bit where you use...

Bm (2nd position ie 7th fret) E (2nd position ie 7th fret) play this twice ie once for "The first day was done" and then again for "as the second day begun"

and then back to A, G#, F# E, D (2nd position 5th fret) E (2nd position 7th fret)

That's pretty much it. Obviously Nick plays it with lot's o' fiddly bits plus there's the solo as well but best leave that for another day... well as Nick has said with "Blue Sky Thinking" there's no knowing what you can achieve with a bit of positive thinking :)

Last edited: Feb 3, 2008
  2. fuzzytnth3

fuzzytnth3 Gracing the Bahamas in see through pyjamas

2nd stab at this...

Here's an easier version that doesn't involve the loss of blood from my cuticles.

Having watched Nick play this twice in the last couple of days I think this is what he is doing albeit this won't be in the same key wot with his tuned down strings. ie when you listen to the cd it's in A but when you see him play it it's in C

So with a normal tuned guitar

While holding a C chord shape (as much as you can) in the first position just run down the bass notes while plucking in between each bass note the B and G strings with your index and middle fingers and maybe yer pinkie to if you can manage it to play the high E string.

Bass run
    C, B A (open string), G, F (back to) G and then strum the C chord down and up.

Alternatively instead of going all the way down to the lowest F instead play the F on the D string ie D string third fret then open G string then strum the C chord

For the "The first day was done" bit use...

Dm and G chords. I'm not sure if this sounds better in the 2nd position rather than "normal" first position you tell me :)

3. pete c

pete c I've got a zappy little nappy

I have to admit, watching Nick play this it looks do-able, but I've yet to try it in practice.... I think the key is to play it slow at first then get faster with practice. Then there's the issue of remembering the words. :biggrin:

4. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

Remembering lyrics....

It's always easier to remember the words [and chords & picking for that matter] if you wrote the song in the first place! Mind you even Roy gets the odd one wrong and castigates himself afterwards. Keep doing the crosswords to keep your brain active non-going-going-gone senile! Or stick them as a playlist on the edge of the guitar's soundbox... it doesn't look very professional but a lot of them do it. Like pilots in jet aircraft do or used to.

andi

ps Just put my name in the library intranet book search facility and apparently Andrew Watterson has written a book on : "Pesticides Users Health & Safety Handbook ; An International Guide" ! Well it's news to me ! And I don't want any funny comments in return! :w00t: