1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The John Peel record collection

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by dave w, Jun 22, 2012.

1. dave w

dave w Computer stained fingers

As you may be aware, the legendary collection is going on line. It's just reached the letter H - I'd expected to see one or two Roy records in there, but no. Lots of Peter Hammill & Haircut 100 (a Peel joke ?). No Hawkwind or Henry Cow either. I may have missed them. of course.

Check it here -> http://thespace.org/content/s000004u/albums/recordbox.html?jpID=H053

2. aspwatterson

aspwatterson The Unknown Soldier

I think they..

I think they haven't got past the HAM... yet..probably pending next upload?

Andi

3. dave w

dave w Computer stained fingers

100 at a time

if I'd read the blurb fully, it would have been clear that only 100 records of each letter are being loaded up.

4. philmch

philmch I've got a zappy little nappy

Some Half Man Half Biscuit though - pride of Birkenhead :wink:

5. aspwatterson

Presumably tomorrow?

Presumably the Harpers tomorrow!?

Andi

6. aspwatterson

UH?

Uh? If you click on John Peel at top left of screen you get shelves of records you can scan up to M. But seems to be a gap between Hamill and I? Unless I'm doing something wrong?

A :confused1:

7. aspwatterson

Aha!

Aha! Just the first hundred of each letter being released each week...this could take years if they're going to do the entire catalogue? Roy and Nick could nearly fill one shelf?

Andi

8. bigchris

bigchris Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Just happened to be listening to Radio 6 and apparently Jarvis Cocker is working his way thru the alphabet of John Peel's collection .. and NEXT Sundays show is for the letter "H" ... so you never know !?!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01ngrr3

9. SteveT

SteveT Gracing the Bahamas in see through pyjamas

Listening to Jarvis Cocker is a high price to pay though.

10. bigchris

bigchris Aye lad, I knew you had it in you

Yeah I was hoping someone could listen next week and see if Mr H. is mentioned and then tell us exactly where about in the show ... so that we can dive straight in at that point (via iPlayer), to minimise the amount of JC we have to listen to !!

11. aspwatterson

Been thinking..

Been thinking a lot about JP recently considering I am in Peru soon. I wonder if there's any mention of him in Cusco, a memorial plaque or summat?

This is from Wiki :

"Peel died suddenly at the age of 65 from a heart attack on 25 October 2004, on a working holiday in the Inca city of Cusco in Peru. Shortly after the announcement of his death, tributes began to arrive from fans and supporters both in and out of public life. On 26 October 2004 BBC Radio 1 cleared its schedules to broadcast a day of tributes. London's Evening Standard boards that afternoon read "the day the music died".

Peel had often spoken wryly of his eventual death. He once said on the show Room 101, "I've always imagined I'd die by driving into the back of a truck while trying to read the name on a cassette and people would say, 'He would have wanted to go that way.' Well, I want them to know that I wouldn't." At one point, he said that if he died before his producer John Walters, he wanted the latter to play Roy Harper's "When an Old Cricketer Leaves the Crease". Walters having died in 2001, it was left to Andy Kershaw to end his tribute programme to Peel on BBC Radio 3 with the song. Peel's stand-in on his Radio 1 slot, Rob da Bank, also played the song at the start of the final show before his funeral. Another time, Peel said he would like to be remembered with a gospel song. He stated that the final record he would play would be the Rev C. L. Franklin's sermon "Dry Bones in The Valley".

On his Home Truths BBC radio show John once commented about his own death: "I definitely want to be buried, although not yet. I'm 61 on Wednesday—just a working day for me, I'm afraid—so actually I should have a mile or two left in me, but I do want the children to be able to stand solemnly at my graveside and think lovely thoughts along the lines of 'Get out of that one, you swine', which they won't be able to do if I've been cremated. I think I want 'Teenage kicks, so hard to beat' on my gravestone and every night at dusk the trumpeters of the 5th Battalion King's Shropshire Light Infantry to play Misty in Roots' 'Mankind' over the grave. Lovely."

Peel's funeral, on 12 November 2004, in Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, was attended by over a thousand people, including many of the artists he had championed. Eulogies were read by his brother, Alan Ravenscroft, and DJ Paul Gambaccini. The service ended with clips of him talking about his life and his coffin was carried out to the accompaniment of his favourite song, The Undertones' "Teenage Kicks". Peel had written that, apart from his name, all he wanted on his gravestone were the words, "Teenage dreams, so hard to beat", from the lyrics of "Teenage Kicks". A headstone engraved in accordance with his wishes was placed at his grave in 2008. Peel is buried at St Andrew's Church, in the village of Great Finborough, Suffolk.
    Life in music
    "

http://johnosbornepoet.blogspot.co.uk/

Happy cricketing in heavenly Peruvian mountains!

Andi

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  12. aspwatterson